Interesting Tidbit from Matt Waldman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend

View: https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/status/1255186270252412928

View: https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/status/1255231090219978753

Waldman suggests we went towards more gap run's at the end of last year. Can't say I watched closely enough to see that. Also seems to suggest that Henderson was a guy who came from that system and implies that we might go more gap running in the future.

I expect us to add some gap running in general - we added the toss at the beginning of the year to help counter the 6-1 - but I wonder how much gap running we'll do...

MadGoat

Mathematically alive

View: https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/status/1255186270252412928

View: https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/status/1255231090219978753

Waldman suggests we went towards more gap run's at the end of last year. Can't say I watched closely enough to see that. Also seems to suggest that Henderson was a guy who came from that system and implies that we might go more gap running in the future.

I expect us to add some gap running in general - we added the toss at the beginning of the year to help counter the 6-1 - but I wonder how much gap running we'll do...

I heard this last year when Gurley started having more succes. I think it worked as a counter to the defensive scheme that teams were using against the Rams run game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hendy's team basically ran the same run scheme as the Rams. So I think he's got his wires crossed on him.

Akers they'll run inside zone with for the most part but I doubt he's going to struggle outside. Much ado about nothing IMO. What matters is how well our fucking OL comes around.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hendy's team basically ran the same run scheme as the Rams. So I think he's got his wires crossed on him.

Akers they'll run inside zone with for the most part but I doubt he's going to struggle outside. Much ado about nothing IMO. What matters is how well our fucking OL comes around.
"You want some?" ~ Blythe, flexing his Guns of Navarro

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1588123345664.png

the story of the rams rushing attack last season.

Ram65

Legend
I remember seeing those double teams in the Bears game. Both Henderson and Akers will be quicker through the line then Gurley was. That should help with a healthy Blythe and the more experienced OGs. I think we tend to forget that the offensive line did some good things last year at times. They need to become more consistent and limit mistakes. That draw was great to see. McVay needs to put that in the offense more. He needs to mix things up with run blocking, sets and play calling. Hopefully, O'Connell helps with his perspective as a former QB. The offense is reloaded at RB with lots of options to get back to being in the top five in the league.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd have to rewatch, but I recall us running more inside-zone later in the year, not gap. Kromer's inside-zone schemes can look a bit like that because it uses a lot of initial double teams (both interior guys are initially doubled) with blockers then peeling off to the second level.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd have to rewatch, but I recall us running more inside-zone later in the year, not gap. Kromer's inside-zone schemes can look a bit like that because it uses a lot of initial double teams (both interior guys are initially doubled) with blockers then peeling off to the second level.

Think that's the "Duo" scheme that Waldman's talking about but the double team takes place away from play side.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think that's the "Duo" scheme that Waldman's talking about but the double team takes place away from play side.

I'd have to rewatch closely. Duo and Inside-zone are extremely similar unless you're watching closely. The easiest way to differentiate is to watch the Center. On duo, the Center works back to the Will. On inside-zone, the Center works to the Mike (with the backside tackle taking the Will). The reads are also different for a HB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Edwards and A fans Don strike me as typical zone linemen. So either they are changing the scheme of mixing it up a bit.

With the new OC coming from Washington, maybe we will be using whatever they used.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard this last year when Gurley started having more succes. I think it worked as a counter to the defensive scheme that teams were using against the Rams run game.
Read some info on this earlier. Apparently the 6-1 defense is good for stopping outside zone but can be countered with inside zone scheme and runs where lineman are blocking vertically and not horizontally.