Interesting stat I heard this morning

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Say what you want about Bernie Miklasz and his opinions, but he does do a very good job of digging up stats and I was absolutely floored when I heard this one:

There is a stat called 'Yards at the catch', as opposed to 'yards after the catch'. Basically it measures how far down the field you are when you make the catch. The Rams, not surprisingly, rank dead last in this stat. Their total yards at the catch this season is around 800. The #31 team, right above them, is over 1300. That is staggering.

Their average 'yards at the catch' per pass is 4.5 yards! So other teams are stacking the box to stop Gurley, then the Rams are only throwing 4.5 yards where these guys are already at to make the quick tackles. Absolutely amazing.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Interesting fact, you'd have thought that you'd pop the ball over the stacked box, but hey that would be too obvious I guess...

our offence is so bad :cry::poop:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
When the vast majority of throws have been at or behind the LOS with all the bubble screens this stat doesn't surprise me at all.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Say what you want about Bernie Miklasz and his opinions, but he does do a very good job of digging up stats and I was absolutely floored when I heard this one:

There is a stat called 'Yards at the catch', as opposed to 'yards after the catch'. Basically it measures how far down the field you are when you make the catch. The Rams, not surprisingly, rank dead last in this stat. Their total yards at the catch this season is around 800. The #31 team, right above them, is over 1300. That is staggering.

Their average 'yards at the catch' per pass is 4.5 yards! So other teams are stacking the box to stop Gurley, then the Rams are only throwing 4.5 yards where these guys are already at to make the quick tackles. Absolutely amazing.

And that right there is an illustration of a design/playcalling issue.

You should re-post this in the "Cignetti got fired" thread.

Lurker

UDFA

To be fair, if they had a "Yards at the attempt" stat we would probably rank pretty decent...We seem to try a lot of deep throws...we just suck at completing them...to our team.......Is there a yards at the catch stat for the defense we're playing against?

fearsomefour

Legend
When the vast majority of throws have been at or behind the LOS with all the bubble screens this stat doesn't surprise me at all.
The stat is not surprising, the inability to do something else in the passing game has been surprising. I don't think I have ever seen an NFL passing game with such a lack to crosses and slants ect. The closest I can remember is under Wiz when Leinart was in....bubble screen, roll out, short out and iso deep routes, nearly nothing to the middle of the field. I assumed this is because he wasn't trusted to throw near traffic. When Warner would come in it was a complete passing game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And that right there is an illustration of a design/playcalling issue.
I still say it's the QB.... He has the ball, reads the field, and has the ability to change the play at the LOS....Foles wants to dump it, we dump it...
One game I watched, I forget but it may have been Cinnci....the announcers were saying if the QB didn't like the look, he could simply throw a quick hitch to the wr, every play....and I believe the QB was doing just that....and it was effective. Seems as if sight adjustments were lacking in our playbook....

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The stat is not surprising, the inability to do something else in the passing game has been surprising. I don't think I have ever seen an NFL passing game with such a lack to crosses and slants ect. The closest I can remember is under Wiz when Leinart was in....bubble screen, roll out, short out and iso deep routes, nearly nothing to the middle of the field. I assumed this is because he wasn't trusted to throw near traffic. When Warner would come in it was a complete passing game.
IMO this is directly related to the fact that they insist on force feeding Austin. I get that he is one of the few playmakers but to think he is an every down WR is the biggest part of the issue.

How many of his "plays" have come from being a pass catcher? When they throw the bubble screens to him it's nothing more than an extended handoff. Which is fine. But to have him lined up as a wideout on every snap is limiting what they can do as an offense.

If they want to utilize him on jet sweeps and reverses that's one thing. Line him up in the slot and get him the ball. But it's also at the expense of others who's reps are limited in the meantime.

Line up Quick and Britt outside. They have shown they can connect on the slant (in the past two games) to Quick. Britt can be productive when the QB actually gets the ball to him on time.

While I will admit they don't have any ProBowl caliber receivers, there is more than enough talent here to have a successful passing game with the right approach.

If Kellen Clemens could push the ball downfield with less to work with you won't convince me that they can't now.

I fully expect to see a more aggressive approach from Boras and with Keenum. Will it be enough? Who knows?

MountainRam

Rookie
IMO this is directly related to the fact that they insist on force feeding Austin. I get that he is one of the few playmakers but to think he is an every down WR is the biggest part of the issue.

How many of his "plays" have come from being a pass catcher? When they throw the bubble screens to him it's nothing more than an extended handoff. Which is fine. But to have him lined up as a wideout on every snap is limiting what they can do as an offense.

If they want to utilize him on jet sweeps and reverses that's one thing. Line him up in the slot and get him the ball. But it's also at the expense of others who's reps are limited in the meantime.

Line up Quick and Britt outside. They have shown they can connect on the slant (in the past two games) to Quick. Britt can be productive when the QB actually gets the ball to him on time.

While I will admit they don't have any ProBowl caliber receivers, there is more than enough talent here to have a successful passing game with the right approach.

If Kellen Clemens could push the ball downfield with less to work with you won't convince me that they can't now.

I fully expect to see a more aggressive approach from Boras and with Keenum. Will it be enough? Who knows?

CoachO, I assumed Fisher is going to make Boras give Gurely the ball more. Am I misreading the situation?

iced

its a fisher offense - this doesn't surprise me in the least. more about attempted ball control and try to make first downs than push the ball down the field and score points.

fearsomefour

Legend

I agree in total.
I would like to see Austin in the slot and run some more traditional pass routes as well.
Or bring him in motion (to limit being jammed). I would love to see him run crossing routes....I think most guys would have a hard time staying with him if he made any sort of move before his cross. You have seen the bubble screen generally across the league become less successful as teams have adjusted to defensing it. When Austin is outside the D knows what is likely coming. To me the goal should be to get Austin the ball with some space. There should be ways to help create this away from the line of scrimmage.
Seeing how the Colts use Hilton who is a similarly sized guy should be an eye opener. I understand Hilton is a better route runner, but, Austin doesn't need to be Henry Ellard great at running routes. Id like to see him worked into a regular passing game role. Until then, I am with you, get him in the slot and let the other WRs do what they can do in the middle of the field. That alone would help both the run game and Austin in my opinion.

MountainRam

Rookie
its a fisher offense - this doesn't surprise me in the least. more about attempted ball control and try to make first downs than push the ball down the field and score points.

Yeah, Fisher just removed the snooze button so alarm never rings to wake you up

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd like to see them start throwing the ball to Gurley out of the backfield. Not to the flats, but used moreso like the GSoT used Faulk with some of the common TE stuff up the middle. Gurley is a mismatch all the way around, whether it's LBs or safeties.

That and more use of play action. The nice thing about Gurley is that he's gonna force reactions from the LBs and safeties even when he's been stuffed. Teams are terrified of him getting a crease. Rams gotta be consistent and use that to their benefit in their passing game.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
From espn power rankings today:

The Rams have scored 10 points the past two weeks, and have lost by 24 points in three of their past four games. No other team has two such losses this season.

That's just sad.

Ram65

Legend

I was thinking this while reading the thread.

Wonder what the numbers would be if you take away those passes. Combine this with Foles and it's no wonder the offense has poor at the catch numbers. I don't think Austin is a starting WR either. I'm wondering about Quick though. He seems to have regressed some but, he never really seemed to have the timing and coordination of a good WR. With limited options the offense became very predictable.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I still say it's the QB.... He has the ball, reads the field, and has the ability to change the play at the LOS....Foles wants to dump it, we dump it...
One game I watched, I forget but it may have been Cinnci....the announcers were saying if the QB didn't like the look, he could simply throw a quick hitch to the wr, every play....and I believe the QB was doing just that....and it was effective. Seems as if sight adjustments were lacking in our playbook....

The biggest thing missing in the Rams playbook is plays. There are only about 5-10 plays in the playbook that actually have a chance at success. The rest are just crap Cigs drew up in high school.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I was thinking this while reading the thread.

Wonder what the numbers would be if you take away those passes. Combine this with Foles and it's no wonder the offense has poor at the catch numbers. I don't think Austin is a starting WR either. I'm wondering about Quick though. He seems to have regressed some but, he never really seemed to have the timing and coordination of a good WR. With limited options the offense became very predictable.

He did last year. I think the injury really screwed him up mentally.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd like to know what happened between the time we were 4-3 and now. There has to be some catalyst or reason that we all of a sudden suck this bad.