Interesting article on Oathkeepers in Ferguson and area.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_f90b6edd-acf8-52e3-a020-3a78db286194.html

Mysterious 'Oath Keepers' guard rooftops in downtown Ferguson

FERGUSON • Following a night of arson fires and bashed storefronts that hit close to home, Greg Hildebrand stood naked Tuesday, drying off from a needed shower, when he noticed somebody on the rooftop.

“I opened the window and said, ‘Hey, can I help you?’” said Hildebrand, 35, a website developer.

The man said he was security and would be up there at night with others to protect the pocket of second-story apartments and lower-level storefronts near the Ferguson Police Department. A day earlier, rioters had broken out windows below Hildebrand’s apartment in the 100 block of South Florissant Road and torched a nearby beauty supply store.

“I am in the middle of a difficult spot,” Hildebrand said. “I feel a lot better having those guys up on the roof.”

But he wasn’t clear exactly who “those guys” were or where they came from.

Puzzled and alarmed protesters have wondered, too — some accusing the mysterious guards in military fatigues of being in the Ku Klux Klan.

In fact, they are volunteers affiliated with a 35,000-member national organization called Oath Keepers. Yale Law School graduate and libertarian Stewart Rhodes said by telephone from Montana that he founded the group in 2009 to protect constitutional rights, including those of protesters confronted by what he described as overly militarized police.

But Rhodes, who said he is Mexican-American, was quick to assure that Oath Keepers is not anti-government. He said those pulling rooftop security in Ferguson are current or former government employees and first responders, many who have intense military, police and EMS training.

“We thought they were going to do it right this time,” Rhodes said of government response to the grand jury decision released Monday night in the Darren Wilson case. “But when Monday rolled around and they didn’t park the National Guard at these businesses, that’s when we said we have got to do something.

“Historically, the government almost always fails to protect people,” he added.

Justine Sharrock, reporting for Mother Jones magazine in 2010, wrote in an in-depth story about how the group is hard to pin down: “In the months I’ve spent getting to know the Oath Keepers, I’ve toggled between viewing them either as potentially dangerous conspiracy theorists or as crafty intellectuals with the savvy to rally politicians to their side. The answer, I came to realize, is that they cover the whole spectrum.”

In recent days, Oath Keepers put out a national request to members to help in Ferguson. Volunteers showed up from Nebraska, Texas and Indiana. On Thursday, one volunteer had an “infidel” patch on his Kevlar vest and would say only that he came from “the north.”

They won’t say how many people are part of the effort or exactly where they are placed. But they seem to be mainly focused on a strip of South Florissant Road two blocks north of the police station that includes a Chinese restaurant, dentist office, bakery and the apartments.

“We were sick in our gut we couldn’t be here sooner,” said John Karriman of Joplin, Mo., a state leader of Oath Keepers who teaches police tactics. “We are here to volunteer our time and make sure everybody stays safe.”

Another leader, who would only give his first name, Sam, described himself as a weapons engineer from the St. Louis area who has done security contracting for the U.S. government. He said he was motivated to help after seeing a CNN story featuring extensive damage to Natalie’s Cake’s & More,which also helped generate thousands of dollars in donations for the small business.

Sam said he contacted owner Natalie Dubose and told her he was going to secure her store and others.

“She started crying,” Sam said.

Oath Keepers boarded up a bunch of the storefronts and started night rotations on several rooftops. Sam said he vetted volunteers to ensure there weren’t any “racists” or “people with an ax to grind.” He said he picked volunteers who “have seen the elephant and are calm under fire.”

Fearing more arsonists, Oath Keeper volunteers have buckets of water, fire extinguishers and other nonlethal weapons on the rooftops. Some are also armed with rifles that aren’t available at Walmart and Cabela’s.

The volunteers are well aware of the grave risk to life that arson can play and the legal right to stop it from happening.

Police are aware of their presence and have questioned some of the group’s volunteers. But police haven’t ordered the Oath Keepers to leave.

In operation since Tuesday, group volunteers say they are confident they have helped protect property and lives since they arrived. The group said they are willing to stay as long as it takes.

Their only requirement to help is rooftop access.

Victor Clark, a dentist at Ferguson Dental on South Florissant Road, said he was happy to have their free assistance. He wants to reopen soon. On Monday, rioters shattered the front door and window, stole dental needles and anesthetic.

Then Oath Keepers showed up out of the blue. “We gave them our keys,” he said. “We didn’t know that much about them, but we got a feeling of trust. You have to do something to protect our building.”

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sad they were needed, on a host of levels and I am sure will now be 'targeted ' themselves

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I love it and thought of rooftop guarding as a good idea. Glad somebody is stepping up.

bluecoconuts

Legend
A lot of those guys weird me out. I see those types at work, although most won't instigate things, they're usually out looking for trouble, hoping for a fight. It's a mixed bag, but a majority of the ones I've met have come off a bit strange.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm glad I'm not a shop owner in Ferguson. I'd probably have electrified my store perimeter and sat on the roof with a water hose. :sneaky:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm glad I'm not a shop owner in Ferguson. I'd probably have electrified my store perimeter and sat on the roof with a water hose. :sneaky:

How much current does it take to electrify a fence? Just curious. I know the electric fence for cattle/horses pulses and it doesn't require much. But a whole fence?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
How much current does it take to electrify a fence? Just curious. I know the electric fence for cattle/horses pulses and it doesn't require much. But a whole fence?
LOL, not sure but at least a "piss your pants" amount of current would suffice. (y)

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Doesn't take much ,I have a solar unit that charges a battery and will do 2 miles of fence, the solar cell is 6 X 8 inches or so.

I gotta say it would go very hard on people who tried to loot my property .

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Doesn't take much ,I have a solar unit that charges a battery and will do 2 miles of fence, the solar cell is 6 X 8 inches or so.

I was thinking solar here. And putting a fence up around property.. Thank you @Thordaddy

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Also gotta say.. With a fence you would definitely have a most true ground.. lol

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I was thinking solar here. And putting a fence up around property.. Thank you @Thordaddy
Have fun man electric fences are high maintenance , I came home one day and found a cat caught by it's teeth on an electric fence , those things pulse and each time it would cause the cat to grunt. It was pretty ugly , I turned the fence off and got the cat off it ,it laid around for two days and finally started moving around again, might be my imagination but that cat always seemed a little weird after that.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Have fun man electric fences are high maintenance , I came home one day and found a cat caught by it's teeth on an electric fence , those things pulse and each time it would cause the cat to grunt. It was pretty ugly , I turned the fence off and got the cat off it ,it laid around for two days and finally started moving around again, might be my imagination but that cat always seemed a little weird after that.

lol.. I just meant turning it on in times of trouble. Not keeping it on all the time.. However, since we got rid of our female feline feral, it might not be a bad idea to keep the local squirrel population down and out of my garden. :cool:

The above said.. I saw on stltoday.com that the police told the Oathkeepers to leave Saturday.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
lol.. I just meant turning it on in times of trouble. Not keeping it on all the time.. However, since we got rid of our female feline feral, it might not be a bad idea to keep the local squirrel population down and out of my garden. :cool:

The above said.. I saw on stltoday.com that the police told the Oathkeepers to leave Saturday.
Probably for the best , vigilante justice isn't good, but if the police won't protect you what are you to do? IMO the lack of police and national guard proactively protecting those people is pretty damned agregious

iced

Probably for the best , vigilante justice isn't good, but if the police won't protect you what are you to do? IMO the lack of police and national guard proactively protecting those people is pretty damned agregious

Which is why I'm glad those people who busted out the kevlar and m4's/ar-15's were left alone.

If this were to happen in florida, i'd have to run out and buy another couple magazines and more rounds.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
To @iced and @Thordaddy Historically, govt's don't protect their people. I don't mean the military here either, but the rulers/politicians. Just mho.