Interesting Archive Picture of George Allen back in 1978

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1830defa-673b-40ee-9338-f56b2beaa9d3-AP7808140110.jpg

Former Los Angeles Rams Coach George Allen is shown talking to his players on the side during an exhibition game
against the San Diego Chargers on Saturday, August 14th 1978 in Los Angeles. Allen, who coached the
Rams for just two preseason games was fired by Rams Owner Carroll Rosenbloom on Sunday.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know I have been over this before, but in this photo with Hacksaw Jack Reynolds in the background, what I find amazing is that Allen does not have a Rams windbreaker on, he has one that has his initials. His hiring always bothered me when I was 12 back then because I wanted the Rams to hire Stanford Head Coach Bill Walsh and they were close to doing that...Oh well, found the above photo and had not seen it before.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Monogram’s were more common back then, right?

But yeah. I love old pictures. Thanks for sharing.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
I know I have been over this before, but in this photo with Hacksaw Jack Reynolds in the background, what I find amazing is that Allen does not have a Rams windbreaker on, he has one that has his initials. His hiring always bothered me when I was 12 back then because I wanted the Rams to hire Stanford Head Coach Bill Walsh and they were close to doing that...Oh well, found the above photo and had not seen it before.
I was about 12 when Allen was fired the first time, in '68 I think. As a kid, I was whizzed about that, and so I wrote Dan Reeves a "nasty gram" ( a hand written letter, for you yutes out there :LOL: ). I think they mailed me back some p.o.s. trinket or something.
After the big '67 season, I could see no reason to fire a winning coach. :helmet: :cool: :beer2:

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Cool pic. I was a young kid. Wanted to retain Knox. Allen was well known as a pretty good HC so I was fine on the hiring. Was shocked at the listless preseason games. Didn't watch any of them but saw scores in the sports pages and was disappointed. Then the firing came as a shock but I thought whatever got the Rams back into winning again I was fine with. Didn't think Malavasi was HC material but the players loved him and played hard for him. Plus they opened up the offense a little more than before, like throwing on first down etc.; Knox/Meyer almost never threw on first down. We used to joke about the O saying "rush, rush, pass." So it ended up being a good move to fire Allen.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
1830defa-673b-40ee-9338-f56b2beaa9d3-AP7808140110.jpg

Former Los Angeles Rams Coach George Allen is shown talking to his players on the side during an exhibition game
against the San Diego Chargers on Saturday, August 14th 1978 in Los Angeles. Allen, who coached the
Rams for just two preseason games was fired by Rams Owner Carroll Rosenbloom on Sunday.
Hacksaw was the LA RAMS first round pick in 1970. Of course, that was the final year of Allen's first tenure as HC of the RAMS.