Interesting and unusual ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you have an interesting and or unusual hobby or pastime that you enjoy. Something a little different than stamp collecting. (not knocking stamp collectors) Maybe a extreme sport or just something unique. For me since I was a teenager I have loved to explore old graveyards and abandoned houses. Mostly old graveyards. I think being a Edgar Allen Poe fan probably helped me along. Where I grew up was rich in history and I liked studying the stones and art work. Trying to puzzle out the family units and what it all meant and the lives they must have lead. Graveyards do not affect me the way they do most. I have no fear of them only respect. Here in Missouri what I find is long ago abandoned graveyards forgotten if you will lost to friends and family. Its quite sad really. I have plenty of stories so feel free to ask. If you wish. Now whats your unusual hobby?

Last edited:

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I like finding abandoned homestead sites and rail lines gleaning whatever interests me from bottles to plants to pottery to you name it. I grew up near an old cemetery and always read tombstones too. Good times.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like finding abandoned homestead sites and rail lines gleaning whatever interests me from bottles to plants to pottery to you name it. I grew up near an old cemetery and always read tombstones too. Good times.
I try not to take anything. From old homes or graveyards just kinda of a superstitious thing with me.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I try not to take anything. From old homes or graveyards just kinda of a superstitious thing with me.
No homes involved. If lucky you can make out what remains of a foundation. Plants are a good clue to graveyards but I only look around there.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No homes involved. If lucky you can make out what remains of a foundation. Plants are a good clue to graveyards but I only look around there.
Sounds like you might be into metal detecting. I do a little of that too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not really weird but my wife and I love finding signs of Indian civilizations.
IMG_20190623_161654318.jpg
IMG_20190623_161503276.jpg

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A buddy of mine who knew of my interest in graveyards told me about an interesting stone in a small town graveyard in southern Missouri close to the Ark border. We made a day trip of it. Once there we located the stone in question. And I must say this one shook me. The stone it self was simple no flourish. Well weathered I pegged it to be mid 1800s. There was no name or dates. There was an inscription. Which read " As you are. I once was. As I am. You shall soon be." As I said that one shook me. After doing some research I believe there may be others out there like it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My son and I like to snake hunt. We don't kill them. We do pick them up if they are non venomous. I do it for him mostly, but there are a few snakes in the area that I have yet to find, so I get as excited as he does.

oldnotdead

Legend
When I was in college me and 4 friends used to horse camp in the Trinity National Forest in Northern Calif. One of the guy's family had a horse ranch so we each had a horse and one there was one pack mule. The family's business was partly supplying back country forest service stations. So he was very familiar with the area.

The purpose wasn't just a college beer fest, it was to see if we could have a bigfoot encounter. It started because the horse guy's uncle worked for a logging company in Nor Cal and he had all kinds of stories about how their equipment was frequently vandalized by "non-humans". Things like huge tires weighing hundred of pounds would be found thrown up onto rocky outcrops. If they had been dragged there would have been indications and there weren't.

Our annual outings went on for 7 years. We never had any direct contact but they certainly made their presence known on more than one occasion. On one occasion we left camp in the morning for a day ride only to return to a destroyed camp that afternoon. I'm not talking bear destruction. Bears don't pull up stakes of tents and throw the tents 50-70 ft into trees, otherwise undamaged. On occasion we heard them around the camp at night. If they wanted to do us harm they certainly could have, but we never felt in danger. It was like they were simply trying to scare us off.

After each of these types of events we would move camp a few miles to preclude any escalation. Sometimes they followed us but generally not and we would have a quiet trip the rest of the time. We all agreed that they weren't dangerous, it was the human beasts that were the danger, the pot growers and meth cookers.

My backpack hikes were partly my personal continuation of those trips, minus the horse of course.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have two hobbies which have intersected. I am a genealogist and have targeted a town south of Omaha called Plattsmouth, NE.. Nine brothers and sisters, along with their Mom, came to make a life there about 1881. The other hobby which is connected to this one, is that almost all of the old newspapers have been digitized for anyone to read. I have uncovered so much that I am writing a collection of short story historical fiction with magical realism added to it about members of my family. I love being a fly on the wall, so to speak, hearing them opine about what’s important to them. I love writing about them, bringing them back to life in a way.

OzarkRam, I have been to the cemetery there and elsewhere. I like to read inscriptions and take pictures of headstones when they are family related.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I've read hundreds of horror novels. It's like a sweet tooth, except I like scares. In the 5th grade, I read "War of the Worlds" and a bunch of Poe short stories. It's a horror fest ever since. Don't get the wrong idea, I've never read a Twi-light series novel. I like eerie, creepy, terrifying horror.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've read hundreds of horror novels. It's like a sweet tooth, except I like scares. In the 5th grade, I read "War of the Worlds" and a bunch of Poe short stories. It's a horror fest ever since. Don't get the wrong idea, I've never read a Twi-light series novel. I like eerie, creepy, terrifying horror.
I love to write them! Or least I love to write horror short stories);)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
PM me some of your stories. I'd love to read 'em!
Ok...I may want to publish these later, so please don't give it to anyone else or repost it on the internet. I have one called the "Buffont Midget" I hope you like it!

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Missouri has different levels of secondary roads. Going from OK to not so good to gravel to fire roads. Fire roads here are more or less goat trails. I was on one of these goat trails several years ago. This particular back breaker is about four miles long and deadends at an old graveyard. I know it as Rambo graveyard from the locals and it affiliation with a church of the same name. There is also a large sink hole back in there that I had found while deer hunting. Its quite interesting and big enough to swallow a house. Anyway I saw something that day. It was large upright and moving very fast. I was looking out of the drivers side window when it flashed in front of me. What I caught seemed to be shoulder blades and small of the back as it entered the under brush. What I noticed first was the speed then the apparent size. The color of the hair was reddish brown and long. I honestly dont know what it was. I do know it wasn't a bear, deer or hog.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Missouri has different levels of secondary roads. Going from OK to not so good to gravel to fire roads. Fire roads here are more or less goat trails. I was on one of these goat trails several years ago. This particular back breaker is about four miles long and deadends at an old graveyard. I know it as Rambo graveyard from the locals and it affiliation with a church of the same name. There is also a large sink hole back in there that I had found while deer hunting. Its quite interesting and big enough to swallow a house. Anyway I saw something that day. It was large upright and moving very fast. I was looking out of the drivers side window when it flashed in front of me. What I caught seemed to be shoulder blades and small of the back as it entered the under brush. What I noticed first was the speed then the apparent size. The color of the hair was reddish brown and long. I honestly dont know what it was. I do know it wasn't a bear, deer or hog.
You saw Momo.