Instant Analysis of Week 5 Loss ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Williams clearly didn’t know his assignment. He should have been in closer to the tackle and actually chipped the edge defender instead of a two handed paddy cake kiss. I’m not sure he is capable of really being a decent blocker. He’s too small and just not committed. Royce Freeman would be a much better option in that situation and he’s sitting on the practice squad. And maybe McVay should actually consider using a TE when you’re inserting a rookie right tackle into the game and he’s facing on of the top pass rushers in the NFL in a known passing situation. McVay’s mad about execution but I think the design was flawed and that falls on his shoulders.

swmizzou83

Starter
I can't believe John Johnson still isn't getting more reps. Seems like he would be more stout vs the run than Yeast is. I would also like to see Shelley start getting more reps Durant has been a disappointment so far this year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I can't believe John Johnson still isn't getting more reps. Seems like he would be more stout vs the run than Yeast is. I would also like to see Shelley start getting more reps Durant has been a disappointment so far this year.
I like Long's questions (wish Farr would shut-up). Long raised the lack of size on the D-Line with Brown out. Brown is in the 325 LBs range, and I don't know that the Rams have another DL that's even 300 LBs ... including the Practice Squad.

McVay didn't commit to anything but he didn't rule-out the possibility of bringing someone in.

Long also brought-up the lack of second half production (specifically on offense) in the past four games, and mentioned Duke Shelley ... some of us would like to see more Shelley ... and less Kendrick.

Tano

Legend
Every week I see Hoecht and Rozeboom at the bottom of the list.

Why are they still playing? Hoecht should be a back-up DT - no way he should be on the edge especially in coverage

Rozeboom - he is just too slow

When I saw him getting outrun by Higbee during practice by over 10 yards - it was clear to me that he does not have NFL speed to play inside linebacker.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every week I see Hoecht and Rozeboom at the bottom of the list.

Why are they still playing? Hoecht should be a back-up DT - no way he should be on the edge especially in coverage

Rozeboom - he is just too slow

When I saw him getting outrun by Higbee during practice by over 10 yards - it was clear to me that he does not have NFL speed to play inside linebacker.

Hopefully we'll get to see a lot more of Mathis & VanValkenberg and a good deal less of Hoecht in the near future, ... I find it troublesome that our coaches latch on to certain players and can't see that they often need to be rotated out. I agree that Hoecht should be working as a DT if he wants a longer career in the NFL. Rozeboom is definitely another weak link, no better than a practice squad participant imo, ... I liked the proposal made by @Memento that the Rams move rookie OLB Nick Hampton to ILB for that role, we should at least try it, the Rams are just spinning our wheels with guys like Rozeboom, Hummel & Reeder.
I'd also like to see more of Shelly & Ojemudia substituting in for Durant & Kendrick at times. Let's get Davis Allen more work at TE also, same with Royce Freeman & Zach Evans at RB.
jmo.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I don't get why they just don't get him on the field somehow instead of our low-performing LBs in certain circumstances. He's always been an instinctive tackling-machine.

Tano

Legend
Hopefully we'll get to see a lot more of Mathis & VanValkenberg and a good deal less of Hoecht in the near future, ... I find it troublesome that our coaches latch on to certain players and can't see that they often need to be rotated out. I agree that Hoecht should be working as a DT if he wants a longer career in the NFL. Rozeboom is definitely another weak link, no better than a practice squad participant imo, ... I liked the proposal made by @Memento that the Rams move rookie OLB Nick Hampton to ILB for that role, we should at least try it, the Rams are just spinning our wheels with guys like Rozeboom, Hummel & Reeder.
I'd also like to see more of Shelly & Ojemudia substituting in for Durant & Kendrick at times. Let's get Davis Allen more work at TE also, same with Royce Freeman & Zach Evans at RB.
jmo.
At least with Reeder - he is very good at blitzing on 3rd and long - could have used him against the eagles when it was 3rd and long

Tano

Legend
I don't get why they just don't get him on the field somehow instead of our low-performing LBs in certain circumstances. He's always been an instinctive tackling-machine.
At least on 3rd and long instead of Rozeboom and/or Hoecht

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This game was winnable. Considering that we have so many young players on defense and it was Kupp’s first game back, I think the Rams did pretty well. A few mistakes corrected and the Rams win that game.

Each week is a learning experience and each week this team should be getting better. I’m happy because if the Rams make the playoffs they look like they can compete with anyone. If they keep improving and learning from mistakes, then they have a chance to do more than just make the playoffs.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's the point. The Eagles are better. We couldn't afford to beat ourselves if we were going to beat them. The gameplan gave us a chance to win. We didn't execute well enough.
That was clear. I was at the game and saw exactly that - EXCEPT - for the game plan on defense at the end of the half. There is no way we can expect to win if we continue to allow teams to run down the field to end the half with less than a minute to go. Fucking 36 seconds and we let them score a TD. That is pathetic and good teams don't let that happen.

The offensive game plan was sound. There were three passes that I watched sail right over or in front of an open receiver along with at least two big drops, plus a couple really bad blitz pick ups. It was all about execution. It looked like Stafford was not only off on several passes but Kupp was a bit slow. I just don't think Kupp and Stafford had their timing right (understandable) and that pass to TuTu was just way off target. That was an easy score if that pass is on target.

We simply made too many mistakes on offense and defense to win against a team like the Eagles.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was clear. I was at the game and saw exactly that - EXCEPT - for the game plan on defense at the end of the half. There is no way we can expect to win if we continue to allow teams to run down the field to end the half with less than a minute to go. Fucking 36 seconds and we let them score a TD. That is pathetic and good teams don't let that happen.

The offensive game plan was sound. There were three passes that I watched sail right over or in front of an open receiver along with at least two big drops, plus a couple really bad blitz pick ups. It was all about execution. It looked like Stafford was not only off on several passes but Kupp was a bit slow. I just don't think Kupp and Stafford had their timing right (understandable) and that pass to TuTu was just way off target. That was an easy score if that pass is on target.

We simply made too many mistakes on offense and defense to win against a team like the Eagles.
Our defense has been dreadful on drives just before half. Although, Derion Kendrick admitted that he screwed up on the big play to A.J. Brown. He should have played off instead of jamming him and trying to undercut the route.