Inside the Pylon: LOS ANGELES RAMS TEAM NEEDS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2016-nfl-draft/2016/04/11/los-angeles-rams-team-needs/

The 2016 NFL season begins now, with 32 teams scheming to knock off the reigning champion Denver
Broncos. TheNFL Draft is just around the corner, but the first step in any offseason plan is to assess a
team’s needs. Here we look at what the Los Angeles Rams team needs are.

The Rams finished third in the NFC West last season with a 7-9 record. The team began the season on a high note defeating the Seattle Seahawks in the opening week of the season, but the rest of the year didn’t go as well asWeek 1. After a Week 8 win against the San Francisco 49ers, the Rams sat a game above .500, but went onto lose their next five games. The Rams started Nick Foles through Week 10, but Jeff Fisher decided to make Case Keenum the starter for the rest of season. Keenum fared better than Foles (3-2 and 4-7 respectively), but it was not enough to turn around St. Louis’s season.

The major news for the Rams this offseason was the announcement of their relocation back to Los Angeles. Before moving to St. Louis, the Rams played in Los Angeles for 48 years. Stan Kroenke’s proposal was too lucrative for the NFL owners to turn away. The Inglewood project should be complete by 2019.

Major Needs

Quarterback

Fisher and general manager Les Snead have announced that Keenum is their starter for 2016. With Foles andSean Mannion as the only other options on their roster they may want to draft a QB with the 15th overall pick in the draft. It’s likely that Carson Wentz and Jared Goff are off the board by the time Los Angeles is on the clock, but Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook could be viable options at that spot in the draft. The decision makers might feel that is a bit early for one of them and might rather wait until later in the draft to invest in a quarterback.

Wide Receiver
Tavon Austin
is the swiss army knife of the Rams offense. He amassed 907 rushing and receiving yards combined in 2015. The only other productive wide receiver last season was Kenny Britt, who racked up 681 yards. The depth at wide receiver includes Bradley Marquez, Isiah Ferguson and Stedman Bailey. Bailey suffered a serious off-field accident after being shot in the head twice last season and it’s difficult to assess if he’ll be able to play again despite his best intentions. The Rams could use their pick on a receiver with the frame of a true number one threat like Laquon Treadwell from Ole Miss.

Tight End
Parting ways with Jared Cook leaves Lance Kendricks as the de facto starter. The Rams will want to upgrade this position or at least add depth to it. The draft lacks a strong crop of tight ends, but it does have Arkansas’ Hunter Henry and a bunch of solid prospects like Stanford’s Austin Hooper and Ohio State’s Nick Vannett. These players could be exactly what Los Angeles needs to fill Cook’s role as an athletic pass catcher.

Linebacker
The Rams cut James Laurinaitis loose and are now in need of adding a younger ILB to the mix to pair with Bryce Hager. The Rams are set at OLB having Alec Ogletree and Akeem Ayers manning the WLB and SLB positions. However, they really need a MLB for their 4-3 defense. Mark Barron was retained this off-season and a large reason for his return was how he thrived in the role as a hybrid S/LB.

Kicker
Greg Zuerlein
is currently a free agent. The Rams would be okay to re-sign him, but could potentially upgrade their kicker.

Desired Depth

Running Back

The most promising part of the Rams season was Todd Gurley. He healed from a torn ACL and went on to rush for 1,106 yards and 10 TD in 13 games. His production was good enough for a Pro Bowl appearance and the Offensive Rookie of the Year Award. Tre Mason is a solid second back, however, his off the field problems could make running back a position where more depth is needed. Perhaps taking a running back with a late pick or signing an undrafted free agent could fill the need.

Offensive Line
The Rams used their 2014 1st round draft choice from the Redskins to select tackle Greg Robinson. However, the former Auburn Tiger is beginning to look like a bust and the Rams may want to upgrade at OT. Isaiah Battle, who was taken in the supplemental draft, backed up Robinson at LT along with backing up RT Rob Havenstein. At guard they have experienced veterans in Garrett Reynolds and Rodger Saffold. After Saffold’s season ended with a shoulder injury he was replaced by rookie Cody Wichmann. The Rams are young at the guard position with Wichmann and Jamon Brown, but could stand to add some depth. At center the Rams re-signed Tim Barnes for a two year deal, with Demetrius Rhaney and Eric Kush serving as depth options in the middle.

Defensive Back
Los Angeles lost cornerback Janoris Jenkins to the New York Giants and safety Rodney McLeod to the Philadelphia Eagles. They added Coty Sensabaugh to the group of Trumaine Johnson, Lamarcus Joyner, Eric Patterson and E.J. Gaines. It’s a position filled with depth players for the Rams, but a lack of a true number one corner. As for safety the loss of McLeod leaves the Rams with T.J. McDonald and Maurice Alexander. They’ll definitely need depth at the safety position despite Barron’s ability to play there, and given the needs at cornerback expect the Rams to use a couple of picks on their secondary.

Set, For Better or Worse

Defensive Line

Losing Nick Fairley to New Orleans and letting go of Chris Long doesn’t hurt the Rams too much, if at all. They boast one of the league’s best defensive lines including stars like Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn. On the edge they re-signed William Hayes and Eugene Sims for three years and $21 million and $10 million, respectively. In addition to Donald the Rams also have Michael Brockers to clog the middle of rush lanes. Los Angeles signedQuinton Coples in free agency hoping he can add to their pass rush depth. Coples might fit in better in the Rams’ defense, given his ability to slide in and play in a 4-3 now instead of the 3-4 scheme in New York.

Punter
The Rams are set at punter with Pro Bowler Johnny Hekker who pinned 41 punts inside the 20 in 2015.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So linebacker is a major need where we have three starters set up and we generally only have 2 of those on the field at any time. But free safety where we lost our starter isn't a major need? We have about 15 OLine on the roster right now but we need depth? Thank you for the quality reporting :D

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
First - Fisher did not say Keenum was the starter in 2016....rather the starter when OTA's start is all.
Second - We need a Mike LB? I thought that was Tree......
Third - Grob is beginning to look like a bust?........He needs to improve....but......
Fourth - DB- EJ Gaines is just a depth guy? We lack a true #1 corner?....really?......
Umm............
giphy.gif

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Pretty sure this writer has seen less than 3 Rams games real time.

Nothing more to add

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Running Back
The most promising part of the Rams season was Todd Gurley. He healed from a torn ACL and went on to rush for 1,106 yards and 10 TD in 13 games. His production was good enough for a Pro Bowl appearance and the Offensive Rookie of the Year Award. Tre Mason is a solid second back, however, his off the field problems could make running back a position where more depth is needed. Perhaps taking a running back with a late pick or signing an undrafted free agent could fill the need.
We do still have Cunningham too!

Wide Receiver
Tavon Austin
is the swiss army knife of the Rams offense. He amassed 907 rushing and receiving yards combined in 2015. The only other productive wide receiver last season was Kenny Britt, who racked up 681 yards. The depth at wide receiver includes Bradley Marquez, Isiah Ferguson and Stedman Bailey. Bailey suffered a serious off-field accident after being shot in the head twice last season and it’s difficult to assess if he’ll be able to play again despite his best intentions. The Rams could use their pick on a receiver with the frame of a true number one threat like Laquon Treadwell from Ole Miss.
"No Duh!"

Tight End
Parting ways with Jared Cook leaves Lance Kendricks as the de facto starter. The Rams will want to upgrade this position or at least add depth to it. The draft lacks a strong crop of tight ends, but it does have Arkansas’ Hunter Henry and a bunch of solid prospects like Stanford’s Austin Hooper and Ohio State’s Nick Vannett. These players could be exactly what Los Angeles needs to fill Cook’s role as an athletic pass catcher.
I completely agree!

Linebacker
The Rams cut James Laurinaitis loose and are now in need of adding a younger ILB to the mix to pair with Bryce Hager. The Rams are set at OLB having Alec Ogletree and Akeem Ayers manning the WLB and SLB positions. However, they really need a MLB for their 4-3 defense. Mark Barron was retained this off-season and a large reason for his return was how he thrived in the role as a hybrid S/LB.
I think we're in fine shape here. Although it would probably be prudent to get a Back-up for Ogletree! JMHO

Offensive Line
The Rams used their 2014 1st round draft choice from the Redskins to select tackle Greg Robinson. However, the former Auburn Tiger is beginning to look like a bust and the Rams may want to upgrade at OT. Isaiah Battle, who was taken in the supplemental draft, backed up Robinson at LT along with backing up RT Rob Havenstein. At guard they have experienced veterans in Garrett Reynolds and Rodger Saffold. After Saffold’s season ended with a shoulder injury he was replaced by rookie Cody Wichmann. The Rams are young at the guard position with Wichmann and Jamon Brown, but could stand to add some depth. At center the Rams re-signed Tim Barnes for a two year deal, with Demetrius Rhaney and Eric Kush serving as depth options in the middle.
I'm satisfied here, I want to see what the 2nd year of this group looks like! Although another good OG wouldn't hurt!

Defensive Back
Los Angeles lost cornerback Janoris Jenkins to the New York Giants and safety Rodney McLeod to the Philadelphia Eagles. They added Coty Sensabaugh to the group of Trumaine Johnson, Lamarcus Joyner, Eric Patterson and E.J. Gaines. It’s a position filled with depth players for the Rams, but a lack of a true number one corner. As for safety the loss of McLeod leaves the Rams with T.J. McDonald and Maurice Alexander. They’ll definitely need depth at the safety position despite Barron’s ability to play there, and given the needs at cornerback expect the Rams to use a couple of picks on their secondary.
I have always believed you can never have too many DB's! That said this is our deepest position of strength! JMO

Defensive Line
Losing Nick Fairley to New Orleans and letting go of Chris Long doesn’t hurt the Rams too much, if at all. They boast one of the league’s best defensive lines including stars like Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn. On the edge they re-signed William Hayes and Eugene Sims for three years and $21 million and $10 million, respectively. In addition to Donald the Rams also have Michael Brockers to clog the middle of rush lanes. Los Angeles signedQuinton Coples in free agency hoping he can add to their pass rush depth. Coples might fit in better in the Rams’ defense, given his ability to slide in and play in a 4-3 now instead of the 3-4 scheme in New York.
With the Lose of Long, and Fairley, this is definitely an area that must be addressed!! We have some good young up-and-comers, but we need to play it safe, and keep an eye on the depth!

I hope I didn't Bore anyone with my obvious conclusions!;):D

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
So just as a WAG, I'm gonna say DB in the 1st round. LB, TE, or DL with the 2nd round picks. Couple of WR picks and one OL with the remainder.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I can see that the Rams might as well have moved to China as their reporters would have known as much or more about the team.:confused:

lockdnram21

Legend
First - Fisher did not say Keenum was the starter in 2016....rather the starter when OTA's start is all.
Third - Grob is beginning to look like a bust?........He needs to improve....but......
Fourth - DB- EJ Gaines is just a depth guy? We lack a true #1 corner?....really?......
Umm............
giphy.gif
Absolute truth. We font have a #1 cb. Don't be surprised when we draft cb in first 2 rounds

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmmmm.....definitely need a QB & WR....maybe a move type TE....probably a developmental Center...and some late round help at safety & corner could be useful...

tempests

Hall of Fame
Umm............

Keenum has a better than average chance of being the Rams starter in week 1, regardless of what they do in the draft.

Those other three guys all have something to prove.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Umm............
giphy.gif
Yeah, it gets worse. They did a podcast wherein a bunch of different guys played GM for different teams, and these guys picked Jarron Reed at 15. Because, according to them, we don't have anyone to play WIL. They figured the Rams will plug Reed in, move Tree inside, and pair Reed with Ayers. I hit them up on Twitter and reminded them that Barron took on the hybrid role and will play across from Ayers now that he (Barron) signed a multi-year extension.

Their reply?

I dunno. I guess they're still trying to Google how to get out of a mess.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yeah, it gets worse. They did a podcast wherein a bunch of different guys played GM for different teams, and these guys picked Jarron Reed at 15. Because, according to them, we don't have anyone to play WIL. They figured the Rams will plug Reed in, move Tree inside, and pair Reed with Ayers. I hit them up on Twitter and reminded them that Barron took on the hybrid role and will play across from Ayers now that he (Barron) signed a multi-year extension.

Their reply?

I dunno. I guess they're still trying to Google how to get out of a mess.

Good grief......
giphy.gif