Injuries to Crabtree, Harvin may boost Rams in NFC West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Dennis Dillon
<a class="postlink" href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130725/michael-crabtree-percy-harvin-st-louis-rams-nfc-west/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... -nfc-west/</a>

This is hardly the way San Francisco's Jim Harbaugh and Seattle's Pete Carroll had dreamed of starting training camp -- each coach with his top wide receiver sidelined by injuries.

The 49ers placed Michael Crabtree, who still is recovering from a torn Achilles tendon injury he suffered in May, on the physically unable to perform list Thursday. Crabtree finally looked like he was living up to expectations after the 49ers drafted him 10th overall in 2009 when he caught a team-high 85 passes for 1,105 yards and nine touchdowns last season for the Super Bowl runners-up. He became the first 49ers player to top the 1,000-yard mark since Terrell Owens in '03.

Similarly, the Seahawks gave Percy Harvin, acquired in an offseason trade with Minnesota, the PUP designation Thursday because of a hip injury. Harvin has a slight tear in his labrum, according to NFL.com. The Seahawks reportedly wanted Harvin to try to practice with the injury, but Harvin apparently wants to seek a second opinion -- one that ultimately could lead him to opt for surgery.

Those two situations could alter the balance of power in the NFC West, where the 49ers and Seahawks each won 11 games last season but should be looking over their shoulders at the St. Louis Rams. Although the Rams went 7-8-1 in '12, that record included a 2-1-1 mark against San Francisco and Seattle. With Jeff Fisher heading into his second season as coach, St. Louis is expected to be much improved.

While 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson will be without their top receiving weapons during training camp -- and likely even longer -- Rams quarterback Sam Bradford finds himself surrounded by more receiving talent than he has ever had as he heads into his fourth NFL season.

In April, St. Louis selected Tavon Austin, an explosive wide receiver from West Virginia who could line up in multiple spots on the field and also be a returner on special teams, with the eighth overall pick in the draft. Although a diminutive 5-foot-8 and 174 pounds, Austin never missed a game because of injury in high school or college, where he caught 72 passes for 643 yards and three touchdowns in '12. His skills, which include elusiveness and top-end speed, remind a lot of NFL scouts of receivers such as Green Bay's Randall Cobb and, well, Harvin.

The Rams added another receiver in the third round, when they chose Stedman Bailey, Austin's West Virginia teammate. The 5-10, 193-pound Bailey was even more productive last year than Austin, catching 114 passes for 1,622 yards and a whopping 25 touchdowns.

In addition, Chris Givens returns after a promising rookie season during which he caught 42 passes for 698 yards and three touchdowns. He became the first rookie in NFL history to catch a pass for at least 50 yards in five consecutive games.

Third-year receiver Austin Pettis, now the "dean" among Rams wideouts, had the most impressive spring among all St. Louis players, according to Bradford and coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who begins his second year in charge of the offense. The Rams are hoping that Brian Quick, drafted two rounds ahead of Givens, will make great strides after struggling through his rookie season. Also, the Rams picked up tight end Jared Cook in free agency. The former Titans player, who Fisher coached in Tennessee, is like a wide receiver in a tight end's body (6-5, 248) and could line up at different spots on the field.

Even though they lost oft-injured wide receiver Danny Amendola in free agency (he signed with New England), the Rams appear poised for a big season offensively -- especially if they can assemble a solid running game. With the offseason departure to Atlanta of Steven Jackson and his eight consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons, Schottenheimer may have to rely on a young running backs by committee plan that includes second-year players Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, and Terrance Ganaway, and rookie Zac Stacy.

With Crabtree out in San Francisco, the 49ers must get receiving help from veteran Anquan Boldin, acquired in an offseason trade with Baltimore; fourth-year man Kyle Williams, who is returning from a torn ACL he suffered last November; and the so-far underwhelming A.J. Jenkins, a first-round pick last year who caught nary a pass as a rookie.

And in Seattle, the Seahawks were counting on Harvin to be a multiple threat after trading several draft picks to Minnesota for him and then signing him to a six-year, $67-million contract. In addition to his receiving skills, Harvin was considered a potential running weapon in the run-option offense as well as a returner (as he averaged 35.9 yards on 16 kickoff returns in 2012). But Harvin has had a history of migraines and other injuries, and now it looks like Seattle's biggest move of the offseason may have backfired.

Like San Francisco, the Seahawks will need other receivers, such as Golden Taint, Sidney Rice and Doug Baldwin, to step up even more. Otherwise, they may go from seeing the Rams in their rear view mirror to having them in the same playoff car.

V3

Hall of Fame
FDLbuhb.gif

V3

Hall of Fame
X said:
V3 said:
lol. What's up sloth? Haven't seen you in a while.

Yo! I've been pretty busy with outdoor projects and since there hasn't been too much football news, I haven't been on here as much as I'd like. Football's back so that's all going to change.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
"Injury to Kaperdick being decapitated after Dunbar weak side blitz may boost Rams in NFC West."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
V3 said:
X said:
V3 said:
lol. What's up sloth? Haven't seen you in a while.

Yo! I've been pretty busy with outdoor projects and since there hasn't been too much football news, I haven't been on here as much as I'd like. Football's back so that's all going to change.
original.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Username said:
"Injury to Kaperdick being decapitated after Dunbar weak side blitz may boost Rams in NFC West."

:lol:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Harvin wants a second opinion!!!!
Cher said it best ......."the beat goes on"

How far removed from Titus Young ,Percy Harvin is , that's what occurs to me.

Don't mind me I'm just a judgmental old angry white man,but Harvin had one of the REAL "players coaches" in the whole game in Valhala and wore out his welcome by being a pain to the staff,Petey made a deal with the devil and dint read the fine print IMO.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
This reminds me quite a bit of when Sidney Rice dragged ass when it came to getting hip surgery with the Vikes a few years back. Should have had it taken care of in the off season, but waited until Camp arrived and then missed a good chunk of the season.

To all of the Hags fans that thought Harvin was going to be the crown jewel of a championship offense, clearly they haven't been paying attention to this guy's saga as it's played out in MN. He just strikes me as a player that will say and do anything to take the path of least resistance (migraines, asthma, ankle ect.).

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Pretty sure it was reported yesterday that the "partial tear" showed up in an MRI ? If so .. the tear is there...and the only possible outcome is ... it is torn worse than first thought. If it shows up in a MRI ... it's there. This is not looking good for him. Glad we did not sign him.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Freak Dennis Dillon! We've been in this race all along. It didn't take injuries to Craptree and Hurtin' to put us in contention!

A55VA6

Legend
I wish no one an injury... but this makes me laugh. Hopefully the Rams can stay healthy and take advantage.

V3

Hall of Fame
A55VA6 said:
I wish no one an injury... but this makes me laugh. Hopefully the Rams can stay healthy and take advantage.

I don't mind when douche nozzles get hurt. That's karma at its best.

Karma is the reason I sleep well at night knowing that all the people I treated poorly had it coming to them. :cheese: :twisted:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
V3 said:
A55VA6 said:

I don't mind when douche nozzles get hurt. That's karma at its best.

Karma is the reason I sleep well at night knowing that all the people I treated poorly had it coming to them. :cheese: :twisted:
douche nozzles :rofl:

iced

This is real important actually.

Niners week 4 in St.Louis, @ niners week 13. Don't expect crabtree back before this.

Hawks week 8, week 16.. Maybe week 16, but I dount week 8.

jap

Legend
iced said:
This is real important actually.

Niners week 4 in St.Louis, @ niners week 13. Don't expect crabtree back before this.

Hawks week 8, week 16.. Maybe week 16, but I dount week 8.

As long as Sherman is still talking, that's all the motivation the Horns need. :twisted: :lol: