Injuries Only Thing Holding Back Sam Bradford from Being Rams' Savior

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Sam has a lot to prove, personally. I don't like the poor games, for my money he has not had the consistency you want at the position aside from his injury issues. Now, granted, some of those issues were from poor coordination, poor blocking up front, poor blocking period for that matter, and poor play at WR. Still, however, in the NFL you can play that game with any QB who fails to live up to their potential and there are a long list of them.

Last year before he was hurt I do think he looked different, more capable and more confident and I really did expect a big year from him. And for the record I do think he is capable of playing at a near-elite level at least for an entire season if you get things right around him. Looking at the other things that have caused him issues in the past...

OL: Fish and Snead should have added more youth early on here but relied on the FAs and castoffs a little too much and it bit them. I understand in a way, since they had to get the defense right and they were overhauling an entire roster. But still, the OL is that important particularly when you have a fragile QB like Sam you are depending on. So this season they are surely going to get it right. They're gonna put most of their effort into it, IMO.

OC: it's not secret that I think Schotty is a bottom-feeding OC. I think with him at the helm the Rams are dumb on offense, easy to predict, and rarely have the edge on opposing defenses from a strategic aspect. He is also a poor teacher, as for all his reported knowledge of offense he has never had an offensive unit that executes well on a consistent basis. IMO some don't seem to realize that having a group playing fast and executing relates back to the teaching ability so they understand the scheme and what they're trying to do and actually SEE what the OC tells them the defense is going to try to do and are ready to counter it. There is a chance that Cigs can coordinate at least better than Schotty so we'll have to wait and see.

WR: unlike many here I am not convinced that Britt is a requirement for a good offense. I do think there's a good chance one of the two big WRs are there at 10, and if not the Rams could drop back from 10 and get DGB at a more value spot. If they hit FA correctly with the OL, their 2nd and 3rd round picks can easily shore up the remainder of the OL requirements given the players that are projected to be available there in the draft. And even if they don't get a WR and lose Britt to FA, I think they're better off than some other teams that made the playoffs. Rams have good talent at wideout in my opinion, adding a top draftee would put them into elite talent at wideout even without re-signing Britt.

So maybe I'm an optimist. Well, ok, I am. But still, seems to me that the offense will be focused by the front office this year and Sam is going to have the pieces around him. Total it up and I will say that a healthy Bradford will get the Rams to the playoffs next year, no doubt about it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Love the way these plays are broken down. There has never been a problem with Bradford's QB IQ or talent. Can you imagine if he had the time Brady gets. The Oline has been a problem since before Bradford was drafted, it is passed time to fix that unit and it should be THE focus of this offseason. That is the unit that will make or break this team and Fisher/Snead. If they can't see that maybe it should be the end of their time with the Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
MO some don't seem to realize that having a group playing fast and executing relates back to the teaching ability so they understand the scheme and what they're trying to do and actually SEE what the OC tells them the defense is going to try to do and are ready to counter it
I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that having players with more than 0-1 years of experience in the NFL would help in this regard. Or if having your starting QB for more than a handful of games might be beneficial. What you're describing is pre-snap reads and sight adjustments, which are extremely difficult for young receivers and a carousel of QBs to synchronize. That stuff is all about chemistry and continuity..
And even if they don't get a WR and lose Britt to FA, I think they're better off than some other teams that made the playoffs. Rams have good talent at wideout in my opinion, adding a top draftee would put them into elite talent at wideout even without re-signing Britt.
How? They *might* have Quick, and have Austin (who may or may not be able to 'get it'), and Bailey. Then you have the uncertainty around the QB position and a new coordinator, which leads me to my point above about lack of NFL experience. Losing Britt will be detrimental to that group on the whole, IMO.
I think Sam has a lot to prove, personally. I don't like the poor games, for my money he has not had the consistency you want at the position aside from his injury issues. Now, granted, some of those issues were from poor coordination, poor blocking up front, poor blocking period for that matter, and poor play at WR. Still, however, in the NFL you can play that game with any QB who fails to live up to their potential and there are a long list of them.
I don't understand. Counting the 4 or 5 games we all know he sucked in, you just laid out the reasons for his lack of consistency while saying it's no excuse.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
The article is solid. I knew it would be a lightning rod, but way it goes. Sam has played with 13 starting OLmen who are out of the NFL. His only reliable WR was Amendola, didn't have him in 2011 and part of 2012. DX was one who showed potential, but just had rotten injury luck, but even him, he dropped a lot of passes late 2010 and into 2011. Sam can throw it. Needs this supporting cast and he needs to have a god who does not hate him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that having players with more than 0-1 years of experience in the NFL would help in this regard. Or if having your starting QB for more than a handful of games might be beneficial. What you're describing is pre-snap reads and sight adjustments, which are extremely difficult for young receivers and a carousel of QBs to synchronize. That stuff is all about chemistry and continuity..

How? They *might* have Quick, and have Austin (who may or may not be able to 'get it'), and Bailey. Then you have the uncertainty around the QB position and a new coordinator, which leads me to my point above about lack of NFL experience. Losing Britt will be detrimental to that group on the whole, IMO.

I don't understand. Counting the 4 or 5 games we all know he sucked in, you just laid out the reasons for his lack of consistency while saying it's no excuse.

It's not an excuse because that's the league. And I don't attribute all his struggles to the things I listed, just trying to be fair and acknowledge things were not ideal for him.

And re: WR unlike many here I think Austin can play in this league, as can Bailey. I think both are better than anyone on the Seattle roster for example. There is no reason right now for me to think Quick won't be able to play, either, unless I missed something about him being behind in his rehab or whatever which is possible.

Anyway, I think my take on Sam is pretty fair. I think he can be the QB many here believe him to be, just want to see him prove it before I say it is certain. Not sure how anyone can take issue with that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Anyway, I think my take on Sam is pretty fair. I think he can be the QB many here believe him to be, just want to see him prove it before I say it is certain. Not sure how anyone can take issue with that.
I don't take issue with that. Just looking for some clarification on other things you said is all.
I think we both agree it's difficult to prove yourself without any semblance of consistency around you.

p.s., I'd take Doug Baldwin over any of our receivers, btw.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I am a fan of Sam Bradford. It is and has been my opinion for years now that Sam Bradford got a raw deal joining the Rams (well except financially) as the organization has done a poor job of fielding a team around him and via his development (coaching, continuity, etc).

All that said, while I believe that Sam Bradford is a good QB, I really don't believe that he's a difference maker at the position. And it hurts me to even say that today.

Quite frankly, I've grown tired of this team basically being held hostage (coaching/personnel decisions) by a good, but non difference maker at the position who has struggled to stay healthy. And even if he stays healthy in 2015, I'd be scared almost to death to franchise him or re-sign him to a mega deal for the future given his penchant for injury.

It won't happen, but if Winston checked out characterwise for the Rams and it were possible, IMO, both sides may be better off including Bradford in a package to move up to get the FSU QB and start over at the position.

Sure some might think that this sets the team back in 2015, but I'm not convinced that would be the case at all, if the kid checks out characterwise. And especially not if the team finally builds the strong rushing attack we've been hearing about since Jeff Fisher's arrival.

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
Overall it was good read but the one thing I disagree with was the statement that the 2014 O-line was better than the 2013 version. Not true in my book. For the short stretch where Robinson, Long and Saffold were on the field together one might argue that was the case but that did not last long (no pun intended). Long for obvious reasons was better in 2013. Saffold and Barksdale IMHO had better 2013 campaigns than what hey exhibited in 2014. I think Williams was better than Joseph and the Well/Barnes Combo from 2103 was better than Wells (Recovering from infection and bad elbow) in 2014. The one thing the 2014 line has was Robinson who was definitely a talent upgrade but assignment-wise he played like a rookie.

2014 was a freak show. When Long was playing, it was like the LT wasn't even there. Joseph may be the WORST OG I've personally seen the Rams play for significant amounts of time. Wells was Barry Richardson turnstile and worse at Center with horrible snaps.

Anyway, this just confirms what I've always thought. Bradford could be top 15 easy, and maybe even top 10 among NFL QBs if he weren't drafted by the worst team in NFL history. He has one of the best arms in the league and his accuracy is much better than he's given credit for.

You can argue Brady hasn't had a legit WR other than Randy Moss (and Gronk, really) and gets by. Guess for fucking what? 5 seconds and more in the pocket will make even the shittiest QB look at least average.

If we have Bradford next year more at least 12 straight games (accounting for early games missed maybe) I think we can make the playoffs, especially if we bust a nut and draft a whole bunch of ugly mean linemen.

p.s., I'd take Doug Baldwin over any of our receivers, btw.

Don't think so. Don't think so at all. I certainly take a healthy Quick over Baldwin. And Britt would have had a monster year with a halfway competent QB who could place the ball downfield with any kind of real consistency.