Info Tech vs. Computer Programmer?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm aiming to get one of those fancy 2 year degrees and have been flip flopping on what I want to be now that I'm grown up and lacking direction. First off, I'm not a computer guy, so either way seems a bit daunting. Believe me though, I'm down to put in the work and learn. I just don't know which is more applicable or better looking for getting a career.
Both degrees share a few of the same classes, any of you cats have some helpful advice on this subject?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner4Prez said:
I'm aiming to get one of those fancy 2 year degrees and have been flip flopping on what I want to be now that I'm grown up and lacking direction. First off, I'm not a computer guy, so either way seems a bit daunting. Believe me though, I'm down to put in the work and learn. I just don't know which is more applicable or better looking for getting a career.
Both degrees share a few of the same classes, any of you cats have some helpful advice on this subject?
Both are in pretty high demand, and will be for the foreseeable future. You might be better served to take a few night classes in each to see which one is more stimulating before you commit to two years of it. Programming is pretty cool - it's (IMO) the more creative of the two. Unless you get pigeon-holed into a job at Initech with Michael Bolton and Samir Notgonnaworkhereanymore. That kinda repetition would probably kill your soul. I'd *steer* that course towards video game design if you could.

IT is everybody's hero, so if you have an ego (and everyone does), you could be the solution for a lot of people's problems. That's always pretty satisfying. But both career paths are going to require a lot of continuing education to stay on pace with (or ahead of) the curve though, so they're definitely career choices that take a lot of commitment.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Find out ALL the classes you need for each and start by taking those classes that are required for both. Maybe during those classes, you will find your answer without wasting any of your time or money. I keep hearing Data Mining is the next big boom job. That might be intriguing to you. If I were 20 again, I think I would check that out for sure. Good luck dude. The sky is the limit!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ramhusker said:
Find out ALL the classes you need for each and start by taking those classes that are required for both. Maybe during those classes, you will find your answer without wasting any of your time or money. I keep hearing Data Mining is the next big boom job. That might be intriguing to you. If I were 20 again, I think I would check that out for sure. Good luck dude. The sky is the limit!

Very good advice.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My work is totally different (environmental science), but research is key. Pay, demand, what type of work. Programmer makes software, while IT is more human interaction w/ customer service tied in. If it were me, I'd do programmer all day. Computer programs will always be needed, especially with how sophisticated tech and tech security is getting. Up to you tho, if you like people or wanna be a "go-to" guy, IT might be better.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
'Preciate the input dudes. I'm meeting up with an adviser in a couple weeks and going to see if she can help me kind of split the difference in the two degrees and see what works best!