In the NFC West, who currently has the best…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wide Receiver....D.K. Metcalf
DrearyAridAardwolf-size_restricted.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quarterback
Wide Receiver
Defensive Player
Head Coach

Stafford
Kupp
Donald
McVay

I don’t think it’s even close, either. That was a cool way to highlight our superiority in key places.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
In the NFC West, which team currently has the best…

Quarterback...Matthew Stafford (if healthy)
Defensive Player....Fred Warner
Head Coach....Kyle Shanahan

If Sean McVay's rebounds this year and stays in it for the long haul, I will change my answer, but my gut tells me, regardless of the reports that if the Rams have another tough year, McVay retires and the Rams will hire a new Head Coach and it won't be anyone off their current staff.
Kyle Shanahan is considered to be one of the best offensive minds in the NFL. But a lot of their success was on the strength of a really good defense.

Not to mention for such a great offensive mind, his offenses have not scored in the 4th quarter of his last 4 game his team was eliminated.

He's got all star playmakers that make the difference in his offense. Some could argue a lot of coaches can do that with the talent he has.

I'll take Kupp over Metcalf. And Donald over Warner.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
We have 9 players who started on a Super Bowl winning team.

I’m betting we’ll have a lot more than three additional starters who exceed your “quality” threshold.
Considering that only 3 Rams that started in the 2019 Super Bowl were starters in the Rams 2022 Super Bowl AD Havenstein and Whitworth. that’s a decent size group. Rams have retooled before !

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Kyle Shanahan is considered to be one of the best offensive minds in the NFL. But a lot of their success was on the strength of a really good defense.

Not to mention for such a great offensive mind, his offenses have not scored in the 4th quarter of his last 4 game his team was eliminated.

He's got all star playmakers that make the difference in his offense. Some could argue a lot of coaches can do that with the talent he has.

I'll take Kupp over Metcalf. And Donald over Warner.
Shanahan has turtled up in the clutch so often. His teams just can’t close the deal.

oldnotdead

Legend
People keep looking at the Rams and saying why aren't there stars 3 deep at all positions? No team has "good depth". You might be at one or two particular positions but most will be made up of low drafted or UDFA type players. That is just the way it is financially in the NFL. The Rams were better than most teams for a few years so people got used to it. But this is the reality of that kind of roster. At some point, you need to reload the roster. So maybe you don't have mega stars all over the roster, but that doesn't mean the team can't be competitive.

A competitive team always has a shot, with a break or two along the way. And in reality that's really all we can expect this year. A competitive team that is building it's depth and starters to make a legit run at another SB. That's why I don't understand the doom and gloom. Until proven otherwise, last years incredible injuries were an aberration not the norm.

The offense will again be centered around Stafford and Kupp. They have basically the same cast of supporting players on offense this year once again. On defense people act like there is no one there. AD will be AD until he retires. Hoecht looked like a legit edge prospect. Hardy has the traits you want in an edge, so let's see if he's developed after what was a semi redshirt year. But the Rams are expected to draft an edge to potentially be the starter opposite Hoecht. Murchison flashed in his limited snaps. It's time for Bobby Brown to be that lane clogging 2 gap NT. Jones will be the MIKE and he's earned the start. IMO Rochell is better than Morris knows. I'm hoping Pleasant can sort things out and get them playing aggressively. Durant looked like the potential starting CB they hoped he would be. Fuller will likely inherit Rapp's SS position as essentially their nickel DB in that middle zone. Lake and Yeast will split the deep zone and both have enough speed to play that style. When you look at this roster they in fact don't have as many starting positions open as most seem to think. They kept 45 players which gives them all their starters. This draft is about upgrading at a few positions then adding to the "depth".

I still think they could surprise people with a strong draft class.

Tano

Legend
People keep looking at the Rams and saying why aren't there stars 3 deep at all positions? No team has "good depth". You might be at one or two particular positions but most will be made up of low drafted or UDFA type players. That is just the way it is financially in the NFL. The Rams were better than most teams for a few years so people got used to it. But this is the reality of that kind of roster. At some point, you need to reload the roster. So maybe you don't have mega stars all over the roster, but that doesn't mean the team can't be competitive.

A competitive team always has a shot, with a break or two along the way. And in reality that's really all we can expect this year. A competitive team that is building it's depth and starters to make a legit run at another SB. That's why I don't understand the doom and gloom. Until proven otherwise, last years incredible injuries were an aberration not the norm.

The offense will again be centered around Stafford and Kupp. They have basically the same cast of supporting players on offense this year once again. On defense people act like there is no one there. AD will be AD until he retires. Hoecht looked like a legit edge prospect. Hardy has the traits you want in an edge, so let's see if he's developed after what was a semi redshirt year. But the Rams are expected to draft an edge to potentially be the starter opposite Hoecht. Murchison flashed in his limited snaps. It's time for Bobby Brown to be that lane clogging 2 gap NT. Jones will be the MIKE and he's earned the start. IMO Rochell is better than Morris knows. I'm hoping Pleasant can sort things out and get them playing aggressively. Durant looked like the potential starting CB they hoped he would be. Fuller will likely inherit Rapp's SS position as essentially their nickel DB in that middle zone. Lake and Yeast will split the deep zone and both have enough speed to play that style. When you look at this roster they in fact don't have as many starting positions open as most seem to think. They kept 45 players which gives them all their starters. This draft is about upgrading at a few positions then adding to the "depth".

There is a difference between decent depth and non-existent depth.

Right now - I classify the Rams more in the latter scenario than in the other scenario.

I will wait until after the draft, udfa signings, and vet FA signings before I can submit a final opinion on the Rams depth.

Ellard80

Legend

If Sean McVay's rebounds this year and stays in it for the long haul, I will change my answer, but my gut tells me, regardless of the reports that if the Rams have another tough year, McVay retires and the Rams will hire a new Head Coach and it won't be anyone off their current staff.
What is it with the kyle Shanahan infatuation this board has... McVay Has a higher career win percentage.. more playoff wins and a super bowl.

Dk Metcalf? heellll no .... he has great physical skills but not that consistent or polished - kupp is better.

I'll give you its prob another Defensive player than Aaron donald...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Say what?
DljCxAL.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What is it with the kyle Shanahan infatuation this board has... McVay Has a higher career win percentage.. more playoff wins and a super bowl.
Agreed, but let's see how McVay responds this season. My only knock on him was the burnout & retirement conversations, if that is now put to rest I will be good with that.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’d say that, right now, the Top 10 players in the division (assuming health), are:

1. Aaron Donald
2. Trent Williams
3. Nick Bosa
4. Cooper Kupp
5. Christian McCaffrey
6. Matthew Stafford
7. DK Metcalf
8. Deebo Samuel
9. Kenneth Walker
10. George Kittle

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DK is a clown. I don't care how good he is, having a player acting like a fucking 3 year old on the sideline is no bueno for me.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
screen-shot-2019-10-13-at-1.47.13-pm.jpg

Who's acting like a 3 year old?

Malibu

Pro Bowler

Get real the defense will suck period. 8 starters officially gone. 2 superstars in Ramsey/Wagner and Floyd, Gaines, AShawn were a strong nucleus to add to those super stars. There is zero chance we will be good in the secondary with 4 starters gone and our 4th CB especially and I say it over and over we did not replace any in FA and rookies are on a learning curve. So no we will not be good next year at least on defense and possibly ST. Offense should be fine I seriously doubt our OL will have remotely as many injuries just on that alone must be good for 4 ppg more. Losing Robinson imo was not smart unless McVay feels he was clogging up the growth of others.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I’d say that, right now, the Top 10 players in the division (assuming health), are:

1. Aaron Donald
2. Trent Williams
3. Nick Bosa
4. Cooper Kupp
5. Christian McCaffrey
6. Matthew Stafford
7. DK Metcalf
8. Deebo Samuel
9. Kenneth Walker
10. George Kittle
Trent Williams better be getting a suspension for his tantrum after the NFCCG. Anybody heard anything?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think in a bubble Kyle Shanahan is the better coach. But McVay has a better FO around him that gives him the edge.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams have 8 roster spots open and 11 draft picks. They really only need 2 maybe 3 starters and of course the P & PK and LS. The LS will probably be an UDFA.

muggmeister

Rookie

My God you can paint a rosy future (or realistically torture). Can I send all my empty glasses to you to fill since you obviously see every glass as half-full? Just messing with, I do hope you're right on a couple d guys though. I could actually see Donald having a down year if he's force into too many plays for a potential shitty defense, he is still human, I think. Murchison is one to keep an eye on, I don't know why but in the VERY limited snaps I watched him he looked like he always handled his assignment, hope this will be the reason they let Gaines and A-Shawn go. I actually appreciate your analysis however, thoughts like these can keep the off-season going positive, thanks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think in a bubble Kyle Shanahan is the better coach. But McVay has a better FO around him that gives him the edge.
Remind me what this front office knew before he arrived.