In midst of #ClampSeason, Rams' Janoris Jenkins bets on himself /Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
In midst of #ClampSeason, Rams' Janoris Jenkins bets on himself
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...kins-tables-contract-talks-betting-on-himself

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins has earned a reputation for being unafraid to gamble on the field. Now, he's showing that same willingness to bet big on himself off the field.

In the final year of his four-year rookie contract, Jenkins has made it known to the Rams that he doesn't want to have any further discussions about a new contract this season after a self-imposed bye week deadline came and went without a new deal.

"It's over for the season," Jenkins said. "After football [season], I'd be glad to sign back with them but as far as the season, I just want to focus on football.

"I gave them up until bye week. They knew what was going on. I told them anything after the bye week, I ain't listening, I don't want to hear it. I want to focus on football. The bye week is gone, so I just want to play football."

The Rams and Jenkins' side have been involved in contract discussions since around the scouting combine in February. In that time, the two sides drew closer to a deal, but Jenkins has maintained that it should ultimately land him in a class closer to the league's elite corners.

In his previous three seasons, Jenkins hadn't quite played up to that elite level as he was plagued by inconsistency in his first two seasons and a sprained MCL in 2014. Jenkins still managed to make his share of big plays, scoring six touchdowns, which is the most of any defensive player in the NFL. Those scores were often overshadowed by miscues that returned the favor to the offense, as Jenkins gave up some long touchdowns.

But there's a consensus at Rams Park that Jenkins is the best he has been since he entered the league as a second-round pick in 2012.

"I thought he was really productive since his arrival here, but yeah, he's knocking down a lot of passes," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He's getting himself in position to make a lot of plays. He's tackling well. Those two deep-ball interceptions that he had earlier in the year were as good as you've ever seen. So, he's playing well. I mean, this game is important to him. He studies. He understands. He communicates. He's a top corner in this league."

Although the Rams didn't advertise it, Jenkins says he played through a Grade 3 MCL sprain for the second half of 2014, missing only two games because of the injury. Jenkins took extra time to recover during the offseason and came back to St. Louis in the best shape of his career, according to Fisher. Fully healthy with a season of playing in coordinator Gregg Williams' defense, Jenkins has consistently been one of the team's best players in the first six games.

"I feel like it's the best I've played but I've got to keep it up," Jenkins said. "It's a big help, it helps me play faster, knowing what I've got to play for and what I ain't got to try to bite on or whatever. And there's chemistry with my guys on the back end; we have a nice chemistry. We have been together for awhile and built that chemistry and bond where everybody knows what everybody is doing, everybody knows how everybody plays."

Jenkins heads toward Sunday's game against the San Francisco 49ers with 31 tackles, a forced fumble, two interceptions and four pass breakups. Pro Football Focus has Jenkins as its ninth-highest graded corner this season. He has been good enough in coverage that Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers targeted him just once in the team's Week 5 meeting.

Jenkins has even taken to throwing different looks at opposing quarterbacks to keep them off balance, occasionally faking that he'll play Cover 2 when he's really playing Cover 3 or vice-versa. On the play in which he forced a fumble that led to safety Rodney McLeod's touchdown last week, Jenkins opened his hips a little before the snap to make it look like he was going to cover the deep route, but he already had identified the play and broke on it right after the snap.

Those are things Jenkins couldn't do even a year ago, when the game was still moving fast and he was playing hurt.

"It's slowed down a hundred percent," Jenkins said. "What I was seeing in my rookie and sophomore year, it was like a fast flash and now I'm just seeing everything slow, recognizing the splits or route concepts, the personnel and different formations and knowing what I can get out of this formation or that formation. Just film study and if I keep going I feel like it will just get slower and slower."

Jenkins has even started a Twitter ritual to keep him motivated, tweeting before games with the hashtag #ClampSeason.

"Clamp Season is just when you come over there, you're going to get 21 clamps and that's what I believe in," Jenkins said. "No time for playing, no time for, 'Oh, he did this one game.' No, everything is clamp season, baby."

If #ClampSeason keeps going at its current rate, the price of Jenkins' next deal is only going to continue to rise. Before the season and even up until the bye week deadline, offers in the $8 million annual range were probably considered a fair price for the Rams. But Jenkins has played better than other corners, such as Philadelphia's Byron Maxwell, who makes more than that. And if Jenkins keeps performing at his current rate, something closer to $10 million to $11 million annually might end up closer to the number it takes to sign him for the long haul.

In the meantime, Jenkins has no issues betting on himself to stay healthy and productive.

"The game comes with its nicks and naggings, but at the end of the day I like myself over what they offered me and I feel like I'm playing great ball right now," Jenkins said. "I've got to keep it up. I just want to get paid what I'm worth. Then everything will work itself out."

Psycho_X

Legend
I've been a critic of Jenkins over the years but it is true that he is playing his best football of his career so far this season. The question is will that continue after he's been paid? I don't know, but I will agree that his current play has been top 15-20 in the league this year. Is he top 10 money? That's when I start to wonder. Especially when Tru is pretty good himself and also a free agent but not going to take quite as big a chunk to keep around. In all we have plenty of cap room and a couple players who could go to make even more and not hurt us much (Cook, Saffold).

For me it'll come down to the rest of the season. Will he remain as dominant as he has been without giving up huge plays like he has been prone to in the past. If he plays the rest of the year like he has the first 6 games I'll be happy to pay him top 15 CB money at the very least.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
More power to him. He is playing like a top corner and not doing anything anti-team like holding out for a big payday. I also like that he seems to really want the contract distraction to go away until after the season. If he continues to play this way, KD will figure out a way to resign him.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
For me it'll come down to the rest of the season. Will he remain as dominant as he has been without giving up huge plays like he has been prone to in the past. If he plays the rest of the year like he has the first 6 games I'll be happy to pay him top 15 CB money at the very least.

Top 15 money is not going to do it. If he continues as he is he will get Top 5 money because of his age, scheme versatility, skill set and clean off field record. He will have multiple suitors.

RamsFan14

Starter
These contracts are gana be tough to negotiate... Jenkins, Aaron Donald, Alec O, maybe Foles IF he lights it up, Greg Robinson if he lives up to the hype, many more players too. Can't imagine us being able to keep all of our elite talent down the line :(

iced

I don't see whats wrong with setting a fair base and adding the rest through "elite" category incentives.. if you wanna get paid "your worth" , having a contract that reflects your play would be the way to go, imo.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I look at it like this all I care about is the yearly average. We can resign both tru and Jenkins for around 18 million a year. 10m for Jenks and another 8 for johnson. The reason why we can do this is because we don't have to pay a qb 20m a year. That's not even accounting for the increase in the cap or the flexibility with some other contracts. Honestly we have enough money to resign Jenks tru McLeod and barron. The question is will they stay. And I certainly believe they will as long as they get a fair offer for their services, and barron is a prime example is good to get paid but you wanna play somewhere that fits you, so as long as they can get close to what another team might offer I think they stay the same way Hayes did

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These contracts are gana be tough to negotiate... Jenkins, Aaron Donald, Alec O, maybe Foles IF he lights it up, Greg Robinson if he lives up to the hype, many more players too. Can't imagine us being able to keep all of our elite talent down the line :(
You are looking too far down the line ogletree has a year left and a 5th year option GRob has 2yrs and a 5th year option and by that time players like Long and jl are gonna be off the books so the numbers will get better honestly our contract situation is very good to where I don't see us losing a lot of talent

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Wish I had a crystal ball ... This negotiation is going to be the story of the off-season for me. After Gurley's Rookie Of The Year award, that is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lol. "#ClampSeason".

More like #ContractSeason

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I look at it like this all I care about is the yearly average. We can resign both tru and Jenkins for around 18 million a year. 10m for Jenks and another 8 for johnson. The reason why we can do this is because we don't have to pay a qb 20m a year. That's not even accounting for the increase in the cap or the flexibility with some other contracts. Honestly we have enough money to resign Jenks tru McLeod and barron. The question is will they stay. And I certainly believe they will as long as they get a fair offer for their services, and barron is a prime example is good to get paid but you wanna play somewhere that fits you, so as long as they can get close to what another team might offer I think they stay the same way Hayes did

You're way too high for Johnson.

He's good, but he's not playing at the level of Alterraun Verner on his contract year which netted him 6.4 on average.

V3

Hall of Fame
You are looking too far down the line ogletree has a year left and a 5th year option GRob has 2yrs and a 5th year option and by that time players like Long and jl are gonna be off the books so the numbers will get better honestly our contract situation is very good to where I don't see us losing a lot of talent
He's not looking too far down the road IMO. Each year a new set of players comes up to get their 2nd contract, and with as many extra picks as the Rams had, that's going to mean a lot of players needing to be re-signed(if the Rams want to keep them). That's why it's so important to get players that perform at a high level early on in their rookie contract. You have to have high performing players that are cheap to complement the guys you signed to big contracts or you just won't have enough talent to go very far. The salary cap makes this imperative. That's why I'm not a fan of taking project picks that take 3+ years to contribute in a meaningful manner in the top couple rounds.

F. Mulder

Starter
It's just a vibe on my part but I really think he takes the highest contract and it will be with another team. Like I said, no reasoning behind it, just a gut feeling.

I've been impressed with him this season. Still, I don't want to break the bank and significantly over pay for him. Hopefully the two sides can reach a fair deal.

Keep tackling with you entire body and not just an arm or shoulder JJ, and watch out for those double moves :LOL:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's just a vibe on my part but I really think he takes the highest contract and it will be with another team. Like I said, no reasoning behind it, just a gut feeling.

I've been impressed with him this season. Still, I don't want to break the bank and significantly over pay for him. Hopefully the two sides can reach a fair deal.

Keep tackling with you entire body and not just an arm or shoulder JJ, and watch out for those double moves :LOL:

I'm with you, Mulder. I hope the two sides merge, but he strikes me the same.

Sometimes top dollar isn't the best move for a player. Hopefully JJ gets good advice about value.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're way too high for Johnson.

He's good, but he's not playing at the level of Alterraun Verner on his contract year which netted him 6.4 on average.
I know that's too high I have him around 6 million also. I'm just saying paying 18 million a year for your top corners isn't a high price to pay considering we don't have a 60 million dollar qb on the payroll

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not looking too far down the road IMO. Each year a new set of players comes up to get their 2nd contract, and with as many extra picks as the Rams had, that's going to mean a lot of players needing to be re-signed(if the Rams want to keep them). That's why it's so important to get players that perform at a high level early on in their rookie contract. You have to have high performing players that are cheap to complement the guys you signed to big contracts or you just won't have enough talent to go very far. The salary cap makes this imperative. That's why I'm not a fan of taking project picks that take 3+ years to contribute in a meaningful manner in the top couple rounds.
Yeah but at the same time you also have people that's on their final year of their 2nd contract and likely to be released or retire imo. You have guys like jl and long and Quinn that's already locked in out of those 3 you have Quinn as the 1 to get another contract but not as big he will be a restructure, then AO, Tmac, and BROCKERS they will get their 2nd contracts and in the middle of their contracts you will have GRob and Donald so you add but we are subtracting as well and with the salary cap expecting to rise each year more than the next I just don't see too many of our key guys leaving at all if they all stay healthy I think we can get them all just depends know if they wanna stay

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jenkins said. "I've got to keep it up. I just want to get paid what I'm worth. Then everything will work itself out."

Translation: I want to get paid then chill.

Keep saying it... He's a very risky signing.

lockdnram21

Legend
They better resign Janoris. If not we will be in trouble. Neither Tru or Gaines are the same caliber cb that Janoris is. If they don't resign him we drafting cb high

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

I share that feeling. And you're right, there's no point in overpaying for anyone on the team, least of all for someone who's so far only proved he can perform at such a high level during a contract year. It just makes me nervous, just like his tackles. Sure, in the last game he knocked a ball lose. But we've all seen him miss, especially against a running back where all he had to do what wrap the guy up.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JJ should be re-signed, period. He's the best player in our secondary and QBs are barely even throwing his way this year. He gave up one TD, to Pierre Garcon, in which Garcon pushed off of him to create separation.

Also, Rams total TDs in 2012/2013/2014:

Kendricks - 13
Cook - 8
Austin - 7
Jenkins - 6

If you count this year, Kendricks and Austin would be 1/2, but Jenkins would still be 4th. This guy forces turnovers, gets TDs, and now shuts down opposing WRs every Sunday.

He's worth every bit of top 10 CB money.