In defense of ‘Old man’ Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
logo.png

Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:06 am
By Ishmael H. Sistrunk
http://www.stlamerican.com/sports/sport ... f887a.html

[wrapimg=left]http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/stlamerican.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/58/558054a2-dc1e-11e1-86c6-001a4bcf887a/50199cf82f9e4.preview-300.jpg[/wrapimg]The reports of Steven Jackson’s death have been greatly exaggerated.

In recent weeks, numerous stories, blogs and preseason previews have emerged declaring the career of the St. Louis Rams’ all-time leading rusher as on life support. They cite the fact that Jackson turned 29 years old this week, just one year shy of the 30-year mark that generally spells doom for NFL running backs. They make comparisons and toss out names such LaDainian Tomlinson, Eddie George and Jamal Lewis as productive backs who fell off a cliff when they hit age 30.

There is substantial data to back up the claims. Whether it’s due to injury or athletic decline, a vast majority of running backs become ineffective by the age of 30. Despite his impressive work ethic, laudable leadership and tremendous focus, Jackson will face the same signs of aging and decline as all the previous greats - just not as soon as the masses are expecting.

What many people fail to recount are the exceptions to the 30-year-old rule. Legends such as Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith all eclipsed the 1000 yard mark during year 30 and/or beyond. Others such as Tony Dorsett, John Riggins, Warrick Dunn, Thomas Jones and Curtis Martin have all defied Father Time longer than expected. If he can remain relatively healthy, I believe SJ39 will be able to extend his effective career an extra season or two into his thirties. Of course, that’s a big “if” given Jackson’s running style and history of nagging injuries. But after reporting to camp at a lean, mean 235 lbs., the star back who has amassed more than 9,000 rushing and 3,000 receiving yards in his career, appears to be in great shape and looking to keep the numbers rolling.

I’m sure the naysayers will come out in full force, but let’s defuse their arguments right here in the preseason:

1. Even if he gets it, 1,000 yards ain’t what it used to be.

This statement is oft-repeated in NFL circles. Before 1978, the NFL played 14 games per season. While 1000 yard seasons before the 16-game season were undoubtedly more impressive, the 1k mark has remained the benchmark of success in the running game. Jackson has eclipsed the milestone in seven straight seasons, despite missing games to injury along the way. Not many running backs have achieved the same. The fact that Jackson has done it on bad teams makes it all the more impressive.

2. Rookie Isaiah Pead will take away carries from Jackson, limiting his effectiveness.

Pead was drafted in hopes of being Jackson’s successor as the Rams’ rock toter. But for now his role is backup. Pead’s presence will actually help Jackson, as he should be able to limit Jackson’s touches and keep his leg and achy back fresh throughout the season. If he can stay healthy down the stretch, Jackson’s bruising, downhill running style should be more effective at season’s end when the games physical toll begins to affect defenders. Mark my words: he’ll be better down the stretch.

3. The NFL is now a passing league.

If there’s one thing that’s certain about Jeff Fisher it’s the he’ll be committed to running the football. With a hard-nosed runner like Jackson at the helm, the Rams will feed their opponents a steady diet of smash-mouth football. The notion that the NFL is a passing league is correct and Fisher will undoubtedly have Sam Bradford chucking the ball downfield to his new toys. But an effective passing attack will open up running lanes for Jackson. If Bradford gels with rookie receivers Brian Quick and Chris Givens, Jackson will become the happiest man in the world as the eight-man boxes he’s seen virtually his whole career will begin to disappear.

4. The Rams’ offensive line is terrible.

The team’s line has indeed been terrible in recent years. Last year, Bradford spent plenty of time either running for his life or picking himself up off the ground. The line play was abysmal. But there are two reasons to be optimistic for improvement. First, as previously mentioned, the addition of quality receivers should lighten up the pressure on Bradford, Jackson and the offensive line. In the past, teams have blitzed relentlessly because the Rams had limited options to make them pay. Look for more quick hits and deep, home-run attempts from the offense to take the pressure of the line.

Secondly, Fisher brings competent coaches with him. Despite the team’s struggles at offensive line, they have spent numerous draft picks in attempt to protect their QB. While many have not played up to expectations, let’s be frank, they’ve had poor coaching. I don’t expect the o-line to go from worst to first, but watch Fish and his boys coach them up to competence. Talent doesn’t disappear, but confidence and technique can. Maybe the coach can find it in some of the current players.

For these reasons, the Rams are primed for improvement and should field an exciting team to watch. As a team captain and emotional leader, expect Jackson to play a big role and have a few surprisingly good seasons.

Anonymous

X said:

The team’s line has indeed been terrible in recent years. Last year, Bradford spent plenty of time either running for his life or picking himself up off the ground. The line play was abysmal. But there are two reasons to be optimistic for improvement. First, as previously mentioned, the addition of quality receivers should lighten up the pressure on Bradford, Jackson and the offensive line. In the past, teams have blitzed relentlessly because the Rams had limited options to make them pay. Look for more quick hits and deep, home-run attempts from the offense to take the pressure of the line.

Secondly, Fisher brings competent coaches with him. Despite the team’s struggles at offensive line, they have spent numerous draft picks in attempt to protect their QB. While many have not played up to expectations, let’s be frank, they’ve had poor coaching. I don’t expect the o-line to go from worst to first, but watch Fish and his boys coach them up to competence. Talent doesn’t disappear, but confidence and technique can. Maybe the coach can find it in some of the current players.

I just think that's a poor argument and it doesn't show much knowledge of what went on with the Rams OL. Yeah it was bad in 07, 08, 09, and 2011, but for reasons he never touches on. And while Boudreau is a heralded coach, and rightly so, he was the OL coach during one of those years when the line was bad (07). But it wasn't bad because of coaching in 07 anymore than it was in 2011.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
X said:

I just think that's a poor argument and it doesn't show much knowledge of what went on with the Rams OL. Yeah it was bad in 07, 08, 09, and 2011, but for reasons he never touches on. And while Boudreau is a heralded coach, and rightly so, he was the OL coach during one of those years when the line was bad (07). But it wasn't bad because of coaching in 07 anymore than it was in 2011.
Well, that doesn't make it a poor argument. It just leaves out an element.
I think everything else in there is pretty spot-on, but that's just my opinion.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Steven Jackson will remain productive as long as he wants to!!

GO RAMS!!!!

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:

Well, that doesn't make it a poor argument. It just leaves out an element.
I think everything else in there is pretty spot-on, but that's just my opinion.

I was just referring to the part I quoted, though.