In air yards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Can anyone help me with this?

I’ve had a few Niners fans say that Purdy nearly set a new record for air yards passing, after Questioning how many of his yards are do to YAC. Shanahan’s offense has a lot of short and middle throws to guys like McCaffrey and Deebo. I looked it up and get different stats from different sites so I must be doing something wrong.

In one instance he was 8th this season but in another he was 7th all time.

IMG_9004.jpeg

IMG_9005.jpeg

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Looks like either way it's not a record.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Here in LA, we like Super Bowl Titles.

I think it’s cute, they found something else to hang their hat on.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You know what they say about stats - right?

brucebruce

Rookie
I hear this purdy in-air-yards stat as well but my eye test says something else. i'm curious if someone can clear this stat up one way or another.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear this purdy in-air-yards stat as well but my eye test says something else. i'm curious if someone can clear this stat up one way or another.
it’s hard to believe in an offense that does a lot of short passes

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Statmuse fucks a lot of stuff up.. that ain’t “air yards”.. it’s YPA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Completed Air Yards. They take total yards in the air of his passes and divide by completion number. This is a good stat because it speaks to not only throwing the ball downfield a bit, but also the accuracy of the passer. Some favor Intended Air Yards but the Completed give you a bit more info on the QB quality I think.

1710876129556.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One note re: Purdy is that he benefits greatly from vacated midfield due to run threat of that offense. But he is clearly a big upgrade over Garoppolo.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If that last column is average yards after catch per completion, that puts Purdy at number one when it comes to yards after his completions. Wouldn't that confirm the argument that he benefits more than anyone else with yards after catch?

On another note, we all know how good a quarterback Patrick Mahomes is. He's second to last in that graphic. Seems like maybe that isn't a great indicator of the quality.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If that last column is average yards after catch per completion, that puts Purdy at number one when it comes to yards after his completions. Wouldn't that confirm the argument that he benefits more than anyone else with yards after catch?

On another note, we all know how good a quarterback Patrick Mahomes is. He's second to last in that graphic. Seems like maybe that isn't a great indicator of the quality.
What I see is he was #20 in the NFL in pass attempts. #16 in pressure %. #4 in pocket time. So he's had a great run game, doesn't face a lot of pressure because of it and is only asked to pass more than 12 other teams. G-A-M-E-M-A-N-A-G-E-R. There are 2 different types of air yards (as best I can understand). IAY ==== intended air yards on all passes, CAY ==== air yards on completions. His average for IAY is 8.2 and his average for CAY is 7.2. I'd like to see a list of pass attempts by distance....behind the LOS, 1 to 10 yards, 11 to 20 yards, 21 to 30 yards, over 30.

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15
I have a really hard time listening to all the hype surrounding Purdy because I feel like he is in a unique and highly favorable situation quarterbacking the 49ers. I guess I was naive to expect some cautious optimism from Whiner fans and the media considering their recent experience with our current backup.

Check out the link below to highlights from their week 14 matchup against Seattle (with Drew Lock playing), a game where Purdy threw for 368 yards on 19 completions.

You’ll notice on all his deep completions he had all day to throw and his receivers were wide open by NFL standards. I watched the Whiners all year and this held true for virtually all of his throws 15 yards or more. He also doesn’t have the arm strength to throw outside the numbers, something Eric Weddle pointed out after the Super Bowl.

On the other hand, Geno Smith’s (and now Daniel Jones’s) backup made some nice throws outside the numbers in this game. Watching them play back to back, you can clearly see Drew Lock’s arm is superior to Purdy’s. I’m not saying that Lock is a better quarterback, but a player with his arm strength would certainly open up the playbook for Kyle Shanahan. Purdy's clear limitations leave me skeptical that he would still play well even in slightly less favorable situations. Time will tell.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtY3IGszeDE

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Completed Air Yards. They take total yards in the air of his passes and divide by completion number. This is a good stat because it speaks to not only throwing the ball downfield a bit, but also the accuracy of the passer. Some favor Intended Air Yards but the Completed give you a bit more info on the QB quality I think.

View attachment 64874
I don't trust those numbers. Here's why. If you rank the "on target %", Brock Purdy is #15 (75.5%).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, all I know is that I have a hard time taking a list seriously when these two are at the very bottom:
1711400003408.png