IMO Hamlin's injury has probably changed Stafford's future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
This was likely a freak accident with Damar and if one lives their lives based on freak accidents they would never leave the house.

Multiple concussions and spinal issues are not freak and where I have no doubt the Stafford's are focused.

And the gazilion dollars vs the risk.

Stafford's future and Damar's situation are not remotely related.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Silly really. If they’re both so terrified of injury, why the hell would he play another year? He’d retire after this one.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
0D43E095-57A9-47D6-80F8-6599674D507B.jpeg

“That is the worst idea I’ve ever heard.”

“Yes…it is horrible, this idea.”

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
With the kind of money these folks make I'd give a kidney, a testicle, (maybe even two), and half my bone marrow all in the same week

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
All veterans would.
Not true at all and certainly not unprecedented. Just recently see: Luke Kuechly, Gronk, Andrew Luck, Chris Borland, Megatron, Patrick Willis. All stars who walked away from huge money.

Last edited:

Flint

Pro Bowler
Everyone is jumping to all sorts of conclusions without much in the way of evidence. Stafford said he’d be back before any of this and I don’t think it’s changed anything at this point. I’m not in any hurry to replace Stafford and I’m not convinced Baker ‘s the guy I’d want to do it if I was.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I often appreciate Oldnotdead's analysis of X's and O's. And he's insightful about player strengths and weaknesses.

But as for the ability to gaze into the crystal ball and predict the future... well, not so much.

Granted, we humans in general aren't very skilled at the whole "predicting the future" thing....

Tano

Legend
I often appreciate Oldnotdead's analysis of X's and O's. And he's insightful about player strengths and weaknesses.

But as for the ability to gaze into the crystal ball and predict the future... well, not so much.

Granted, we humans in general aren't very skilled at the whole "predicting the future" thing....
crystal ball love GIF by HERSHEY’S Cookies ’n’ Creme

Talk about yourself - I have her as a direct phone call for only 99 cents a minute

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I never thought of Stafford regarding this.
Only thing I thought of was how equipment makers might look into gear and modify protection.
Hamin's injury is rare or at least what is being reported as the cause of the injury.
We might not see any equipment modification at all, but I imagine the manufacturer has a responsibility to look into it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
crystal ball love GIF by HERSHEY’S Cookies ’n’ Creme

Talk about yourself - I have her as a direct phone call for only 99 cents a minute
I see lot’s of chocolates in your life. If you play your cards right you might be able to turn them into lots of kiss.
I’d be afraid of taking it in the chocolate factory though,unless you like it that way. If so your future is very bright. Like Hersey lights up the blvd. they’re in Penn. Hopefully that doesn’t mean jail & be careful if Willy comes out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Only thing I thought of was how equipment makers might look into gear and modify protection.
Hamin's injury is rare or at least what is being reported as the cause of the injury.
We might not see any equipment modification at all, but I imagine the manufacturer has a responsibility to look into it.

There is always this to think about as (well) ?

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't think Matt Stafford knew the dangers of the game he has been playing since High School? You are telling me this injury made Stafford realize that this is his last year? I'll speculate as well. Not just Stafford, but most players are praying or thinking about Hamlin and his family, and then they are going back to playing their game.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
for the future I hope we are considering a qb like Goff or Stafford that has Bonafide's. Mayfield may be the answer until he is not. we better have a plan. I really don't want to wait another several years to have fun watching a great qb. I want hope beyond a maybe (Mayfield) and a retiree (Stafford) where is our B Purdy? go rams.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
for the future I hope we are considering a qb like Goff or Stafford that has Bonafide's. Mayfield may be the answer until he is not. we better have a plan. I really don't want to wait another several years to have fun watching a great qb. I want hope beyond a maybe (Mayfield) and a retiree (Stafford) where is our B Purdy? go rams.
Half the teams in the NFL probably would like an up-grade at quarterback.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes this is what my thoughts were.....

has nothing to do with my thoughts that Stafford has a very short future here as the Rams QB.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
After Hamlin's injury, I'm even more convinced 2023 will be Stafford's last season. You have to know that the effect that Hamlin has had on Kelly is immense. It brought home to both Kelley and Matt how dangerous the NFL really is. Matt dodged a bullet he has to know that. I would be shocked if Matt decides he wants to continue beyond 2023.

That said, the decision is ultimately with Snead and McVay, not Stafford. Contractually they must play him this year. But from 2004 onwards they can eat the dead cap in the same way they did with Gurley and Goff. They have the likely successor to Stafford on the roster right now in Mayfield. They can't afford to let him leave the building. IMO they won't. If they offer Baker a deal to stay with a promise that he's the starter in 2024 there is no way he leaves.

I think we know if the Rams sign Baker to a 2 or 3 year deal. The first year as a backup and the remaining year or years on a prove it level.

I love Stafford but the reality is that his time here in LA was always limited. Unless he was uninjured and winning Super Bowls I think he would have been replaced after 2025 anyway. That is reflected in his contract structure which he agreed to. This way the Rams will follow their pattern of being proactive as it was with Gurley, Goff and even this year with Akers.

So IMO we as fans need to get used to Baker as the QB of the future. I for one am don't think this could have worked out better. Mayfield didn't cost the Rams anything, he literally fell in their laps. Then add to the equation that McVay seems to love him as his QB is the decisive element. Baker has proved he can win with backup WRs and OL what more can you ask?

The best part of this scenario is that Baker Mayfield will insure that McVay stays with the Rams for several more years.
Nah…