I'm sure the Rams love Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ED_29

But I'm fairly sure had the Giants not selected Beckham it would have been him for the Rams at 13

What say you?

tbux

Rookie
I say no way- Donald was a much better prospect and I think Fisher was ecstatic to see Donald there. And Im sure you meant 13 BTW

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
All indications are that the Rams had Donald as one of their top 8 prospects. Beckham wasn't in that I suspect. They were very surprised that Donald fell to them at 13.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Now Gil Brandt has said that repeatedly on Sirius NFL Radio. However, everyone else including Michael Silver who was actually in the war room never mentions him at all. It was Donald, Mosley, or Martin.

My opinion? Jeff Fisher take a WR over a stud DLineman? Not without a gun to his head.
Rams basically followed was Snead said in January, of which, I agree. It made little sense to add yet another young WR needing to develop on a roster already full of them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ad-says-st-louis-rams-dont-need-no-1-receiver

Snead's message is clear: He isn't in the mood to burn another high pick when so much young potential -- albeit entirely unproven -- already sits on the roster.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
I could talk about BPA, the dominance of Donald, the importance of an interior pass rush, etc., but in Michael Silver's article he talked about how their board went Donald, then Zack Martin, then C.J. Mosley at 13. OBJ was never really in the picture.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Assuming you mean at 13?

If so, i disagree. From Mike Silver's article it would seem that the Rams wanted 1 of CJ Mosley, Z. Martin or Donald. Failing that, trade back into the 20's.

Not that i don't like Beckham, i think he'll do well in NY, but even still, i wouldn't have liked the value at 13 anyway.

tonyl711

Starter
I think Donald was the pick regardless, he was considered by some to be one of the top 7 or 8 players in the draft, and was the Best DT in the draft, Fisher probably got a woody when he was still there at 13.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I'm fairly sure had the Giants not selected Beckham it would have been him for the Rams at 13

What say you?
I agree but only because if the giants didnt take Beckham they woulda taken Donald. However, if donald was on the board I think the rams take him

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Silver was on the air in StL today and made it clear that the Rams had targeted Donald at #13 as their first choice. He said if Donald wasn't there the next guy up was Martin. He made no mention of Beckham being a target at all. He also said the Rams had no interest in Watkins and that since they drafted Austin and Quick so high in the last 2 drafts they weren't going to go high on WR this time. He did say there was discussion on Manziel but Donald was their #1 guy all the way.

Silver also said the reason they wanted Martin was because they want to go right at SF and Sea with a power running game. So forget Beckham, he doesn't fit the scheme as I wrote about in my draft review.

Russ Lande corroborated my view by saying he expect the Rams not to plan to throw the ball more than 17 times per game. It was clear to him that the Rams are gonna copy Sea with MLynch. And Lande said with Stacy and Mason they've got the backs and now with Robinson, the OL, to do it.

Silver also said the pick they were least excited about was Mason, he was just the best value on the board and if a guy like Davante Adams had slid they may have went with a WR as best value on offense. But the Rams were noticeably excited about every other pick in the first 4 rounds.

RamsFan14

Starter
^max 17 times a game?!?! That's so little... I get the ground and pound idea, but they can't be serious with that many pass attempts... 25 times a game sounds more reasonable!

Donald looks like a football player, he's a very exciting player! Idk what it is about him, but I'm very intrigued to see what he can do!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I was pro-WR, but I honestly would have been shocked if they had taken Beckham in the 1st round. I haven't seen much discussion of him as a #1 type, and once you leave that realm, the Rams might as well have stuck with what they had, even with the Bailey suspension.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

What say you?
I say no way. If they'd felt they missed out...they would've taken a WR with one of the other 10 picks. They didn't.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I'm guessing we were shocked that Donald and Martin were both there, and I'm sure we were prepared for a trade back scenario that would have put Beckham, Shazier, Pryor and others in play. We held tight and got the best OL and DL in the draft. Hail Fisher/Snead. I'm a Fish'ead.

xander47

Rookie
Silver was on the air in StL today and made it clear that the Rams had targeted Donald at #13 as their first choice. He said if Donald wasn't there the next guy up was Martin. He made no mention of Beckham being a target at all. He also said the Rams had no interest in Watkins and that since they drafted Austin and Quick so high in the last 2 drafts they weren't going to go high on WR this time. He did say there was discussion on Manziel but Donald was their #1 guy all the way.

Silver also said the reason they wanted Martin was because they want to go right at SF and Sea with a power running game. So forget Beckham, he doesn't fit the scheme as I wrote about in my draft review.

Russ Lande corroborated my view by saying he expect the Rams not to plan to throw the ball more than 17 times per game. It was clear to him that the Rams are gonna copy Sea with MLynch. And Lande said with Stacy and Mason they've got the backs and now with Robinson, the OL, to do it.

Silver also said the pick they were least excited about was Mason, he was just the best value on the board and if a guy like Davante Adams had slid they may have went with a WR as best value on offense. But the Rams were noticeably excited about every other pick in the first 4 rounds.

They were more excited with Alexander at Round 4 than Mason in Round 3??? That's amazing...