Im not an offensive coordinator but..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I sell auto parts, I have never coached football and I am not saying I'm right but there are small changes that can help this offense

1. Our o line sucks, will not be an easy fix so we need to find a way to make it better. I say move the pocket , jared needs to learn how to throw from outside the pocket. He seems to completely lose his cool once he has to slide or move around. I think he has the athletic ability but it doenst show in the game .

2.agaisnt Seattle mcvay would move Gurley next to Goff and give him another blocker up the middle . I thought it was genius and worked against the hawks. Why not do it against the 49ers??

3. Run the ball outside on the goal line, still cant believe they tried to run up the middle on that first and goal . The whole niners defense was packed in the middle.

4. Run more outside play action , this was a staple and I have not seen it lately

Any opinions ?

Last edited:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Gurley is our best blocker when it comes to rb's, Brown is not going to beat the edge but Henderson might, and play action takes more than 1.5 seconds to develop, which is about all San Fran left us with.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
The missed fg would have put us at 4-2 that missed fg could be a killer in the long run.

The biggest issue going forward is no Talib, Noteboom, Mathews and Johnson. We maybe able to limp through the next 2 games and go into the bye hopefully getting Mathews back. Rapp and Christian can cover for Johnson but Long or Hill are a downgrade and Demby I am no fan of.

In terms of the McVay playcalling I have had some minor reservations like he sticks with something too long like 7 runs etc. I thought the 2 runs up the middle on the one was wrong same with swing pass/bubble screens at the 5-7 yard line they won't work near the goalline.

I think we need some more screens, quick traps, delayed handoffs, quick slants to slow down rushes - try to make dlines rushing success a non factor. This would require a revamped offensive thinking.

Lastly I would do 7-9 step deep deep drops like I saw Rodgers last night and Mahommes do this Sunday against the Texans. This is another way to not deal with the rush. Goff stands in the pocket after 3-5 step drops and when the pocket collapses or the rush gets too close the play breaks down. Again this concept would take Goff buying in he hardly ever does these type of drops.

We have issues that are not going away on the oline unless we put Evans or Edwards in or trade for someone (s).

These next 3 games will show alot about who we are as a team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not an OC either and have the utmost respect for Coach McVay but if it were me...

1. I'd run predominate 12 personnel set. Everett has become a fantastic blocker and he's also a threat across the middle and in the passing game. You could even motion him or Higs into the backfield if you want to max protect until this damn OL settles in.

2. I'd install Edwards at LG and leave him there the rest of the season. He's big and stout but he moves well for his size and yes he'll miss assignments but we have had a ton of those already this season anyway. Him and Whit would be fearsome in a left side outside zone run game, and him and Allen would be solid as an A gap run tandem.

3. I'd give Henderson a ton of touches going forward. Kid's got burst, long speed, and wiggle. He's a difference maker. If he struggles or needs a power option alongside him I'd go get CJ Anderson who is a guy I wanted earlier this season but at this point let's see what we have with Hendy. Brown is a good team guy but he's a JAG.

4. I'd have some sharp eyes in-house analyzing tells for certain plays. Start with screens where we are goddamn terrible. Something is up, teams always know it's coming. Establishing a deadly screen game particularly with Hendy in there at RB would do great things for this offense right now.

5. I'd make sure to take shots over the top. That is a requirement to prevent teams from loading it up. It's been missing this season and when they have tried it the OL falls apart or Goff misses.

6. I'd tell Goff if he doesn't sharpen up we're going to start alternating him and Bortles every other series. Goff is paid to be the leader of this offense. He has to be accountable.

7. I'd stop cancelling practices for idiotic reasons like too much wind. That is what you call being too soft. It leads to a soft team. I love how McVay takes care of the vets but Jesus man what good is that if your team isn't ready to play physical? They might need some padded practices added not taken away.

Ellard80

Legend
Never going to have a good offense if the o-line performs like it did last game.

McVay like anyone can be open to critique.

But this dude knows more football in his right pinkie than all of us combined.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Ahhh yes solutions!!!! This is music to my ears!!!

Let's try setting up a quick passing game. I've noticed that he is awesome when he gets in rhythm
and dishes it quickly. Let Goff distribute the ball on 5-10 yard routes consistently. Let's do it out of 12 personell as well as 11 and 21 and even 22 personnel with Kupp being the only receiver. Let's protect Goff while still making run and pass look the same in order to achieve the marriage that McVay loves. Mix in the run even when it's not working to keep defenses honest because if Goff starts getting in rhythm and we start continually moving the chains, at some point the defense will adjust and I feel like all we need to do is get Goff into a rhythm and spring Gurley 1 time for this offense to get its mojo back.

Ellard80

Legend
By the way they were trying the quick passing game last game... didn't work out so well.

Not hard for the other team to understand that if we can't protect we are going to try to get rid of it fast.

I read somewhere that the Rams lead the NFL in least amount of passing attempts over 20 yards or something.

We tried the power running game, 12 personell, short passing game last game - it helped lead to our worst offensive performance in 2 seasons.

Mostly because our o-line sucks.. but yeah it didn't work so well.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
By the way they were trying the quick passing game last game... didn't work out so well.

Not hard for the other team to understand that if we can't protect we are going to try to get rid of it fast.

I read somewhere that the Rams lead the NFL in least amount of passing attempts over 20 yards or something.

We tried the power running game, 12 personell, short passing game last game - it helped lead to our worst offensive performance in 2 seasons.

Teams seem to neutralize our pass rush pretty effectively with short passes. How are we the only team of 32 that can't figure it out? With Donald, Fowler, Matthews, and the occasional good rep from someone else, why aren't we either racking up sacks or completely shutting down the short passing game because we can "figure out" that's what they'll do?

Ramit

ROD GRUNT

Are we staying in 12 personell long enough to make it unclear what type of play we want to run? Seriously though, we have 3 great and 1 very good reciever, but 2 great TE and 1 great and 2 very good HB. I'm just think about finding the mismatches we want, they are there. Tailor the personnel package to the team we are playing, throw some patriot way into the mix.

Just some thoughts from a nobody :)

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Bro I know Gurley is hurt, and I know its day to day. But we aren't expecting him to be out for a long time?

Honestly I didnt realize that Brown is hurt, what's wrong with him???

Please know that I'm just brainstorming.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
An ineffective OL puts McVay in a straitjacket.

No matter what he does from a playcalling pov, it’s gonna be difficult to find success, especially against top D’s.

I don’t see outside help solutions coming in, either. So the question becomes whether or not Kromer can work a miracle and bring these guys up to at least serviceability level. And in time to make the Rams a factor in a race for wildcard?

The irony is that we have quality players at QB, RB, 3 WR’s and 2 TE’s. But they are collectively hamstrung by this current OL.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Faster routes.

When teams are crowding the line of scrimmage, you only have to beat one guy to be over the top because - look where the safeties are.

KayJay

Starter
I'm not an OC either and have the utmost respect for Coach McVay but if it were me...

I'd tell Goff if he doesn't sharpen up we're going to start alternating him and Bortles every other series. Goff is paid to be the leader of this offense. He has to be accountable.

giphy.gif

KayJay

Starter
An ineffective OL puts McVay in a straitjacket.

No matter what he does from a playcalling pov, it’s gonna be difficult to find success, especially against top D’s.

I don’t see outside help solutions coming in, either. So the question becomes whether or not Kromer can work a miracle and bring these guys up to at least serviceability level. And in time to make the Rams a factor in a race for wildcard?

The irony is that we have quality players at QB, RB, 3 WR’s and 2 TE’s. But they are collectively hamstrung by this current OL.
Ding ding ding! You are correct sir! We don't have the personnel for anything offensively as long as the line remains in this condition. If you try to run it with consistency; you are met with consistent negative or long yardage. If you try to pass with consistency, you are met with consistent pressure.

At the end of the day, no matter what we do; it won't look like anything from the last two years. McVay's offense is predicated on chunks of yardage to apply pressure on defenses. It makes the running back a threat to catch often, and it begins to confuse you because every set looks the same behind the curtain. Well this year, the curtain has holes in it. Not only can they see what's going on, but even if they don't; they can get to Goff fast enough that it doesn't matter.

Faster routes and bubble screens may be an answer. But it's not going to look pretty no matter what we do.

Ellard80

Legend
Y'all aint listening... we did faster routes and screens last game.

Teams have been pressing us, crowding the line of scrimmage. We lead the NFL with the least amount of pass attempts over 20 yards.

Getting rid of the ball quick definately is logical.. but if a teams are trying to take that away because they don't fear our ability to make them pay.

Ellard80

Legend
Teams seem to neutralize our pass rush pretty effectively with short passes. How are we the only team of 32 that can't figure it out? With Donald, Fowler, Matthews, and the occasional good rep from someone else, why aren't we either racking up sacks or completely shutting down the short passing game because we can "figure out" that's what they'll do?

We don't have a pass rush - outside of 1 guy right now. How the 49ners destroyed our O-line - I'm not sure I've ever seen out DL dominate like that. You will have to show me a game where we held a QB under 100 yards.

Hyperbole - we are the only team in 32 that can't figure it out?