I'm glad [Daryl] Richardson played last night

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[stl]9269b497-ab78-436d-b457-92d3c9987363[/stl]

Kinda reinforced what I thought about this kid. Admittedly I was going out on a limb when I said he would be a playmaker on this team, because being buried at the #3 RB spot doesn't give a lot of room for showcasing your talents. At any rate, he's got really really good vision and balance. I'd REALLY like to see him take some reps with the 2's, and maybe even the 1's. Time to see if he can do this stuff against better talent. Not just the TD run, but all the other runs he had leading up to it were pretty smooth.

cfin5256

Rookie
Watching that reminded me about how excited I am about Watkins too. I think he's going to be really good. Still not sold on Pead; right now the game is moving way too fast for him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
cfin5256 said:
Watching that reminded me about how excited I am about Watkins too. I think he's going to be really good. Still not sold on Pead; right now the game is moving way too fast for him.
Yeah, he blew that dude up. Not taking anything away from him on that, but ...

081edf19a7b44a988c19f51.png

(gave up a few pounds, eh? :sly:)

Seriously though, I thought Rok did a good job while in there the whole time. Of course, I was watching on a 640x480 screen in pixels that rival a calculator, but he looked good to me. Can't wait to rewatch this thing on Monday.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
cfin5256 said:

There was a play in the 2nd qtr where Watkins was in w/ the 2s and Ojinakka was @ LT. Watkins more than held his own against the mix of 1st and 2nd string Chiefs defenders. That's pretty good, they have some good DL players. IDK about week 1 tho, w/ the intensity turned up against Detroit's DL on the road. Maybe he'll start week 2, so his confidence won't get shaken.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Granted, Richardson has been going against the 3s while Pead has been going against 1s/2s, I have been more impressed with Richardson than Pead.

cfin5256

Rookie
X said:
cfin5256 said:
Yeah, he blew that dude up. Not taking anything away from him on that, but ...

081edf19a7b44a988c19f51.png

(gave up a few pounds, eh? :sly:)

Seriously though, I thought Rok did a good job while in there the whole time. Of course, I was watching on a 640x480 screen in pixels that rival a calculator, but he looked good to me. Can't wait to rewatch this thing on Monday.

:rofl:

Just a few pounds. The whole game was beautiful on TV. The first pass by Sam I jumped up screaming... and spilling my drink. Didn't care :)

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Lesson said:
Granted, Richardson has been going against the 3s while Pead has been going against 1s/2s, I have been more impressed with Richardson than Pead.
I agree. But to be fair, just as importantly Pead had the #2s blocking against KC #1s and Richardson had #2/3 against #2/3. There were just no holes for Pead, except on the TD run. The concerning thing to me is how Pead is not setting up his blocks. Richardson looks much more patient out there-waits for a hole then hits it with full speed. He could be a very good 3rd down back.

Also, KC is loaded at RB. Cassell looked pretty good when his O-line gave him some time. I think with Dwayne Bowe and the running game their offense could be decent if they improved their O-line play.

cfin5256

Rookie
Angry Ram said:
cfin5256 said:

There was a play in the 2nd qtr where Watkins was in w/ the 2s and Ojinakka was @ LT. Watkins more than held his own against the mix of 1st and 2nd string Chiefs defenders. That's pretty good, they have some good DL players. IDK about week 1 tho, w/ the intensity turned up against Detroit's DL on the road. Maybe he'll start week 2, so his confidence won't get shaken.

I wouldn't mind that approach. I'm just stoked at the Oline play all around last night. Still things to work on, but if I'm not mistaken, we actually saw that thing they call a 'pocket' for our QB's last night.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Seems like the Rams have been looking for a ''Change-of-pace-RB" for a long time and now they may just have two pretty good ones in Pead and Richardson! I admit that Pead has not looked real good in the first two games but I think he will turn it around soon and have a good season for the Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
paceram said:
Seems like the Rams have been looking for a ''Change-of-pace-RB" for a long time and now they may just have two pretty good ones in Pead and Richardson! I admit that Pead has not looked real good in the first two games but I think he will turn it around soon and have a good season for the Rams.
Yeah, I think Pead will turn it around soon too. Weird stat line for him last night. How does a RB have negative yardage on 6 runs AND a touchdown? 6 rushes, -5 yards, 1 TD. That's just bizarre.

cfin5256

Rookie
X said:
paceram said:
Yeah, I think Pead will turn it around soon too. Weird stat line for him last night. How does a RB have negative yardage on 6 runs AND a touchdown? 6 rushes, -5 yards, 1 TD. That's just bizarre.

I think Pead will be fine when things slow down for him. I like his potential, he just needs to calm down and be a bit more patient with his blocks.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Richardson looked really good last night. That second week of practice made a difference IMO. He hit the holes with authority.

I agree with what the general consensus seems to be here regarding Pead. Its hard to judge him when the defense was living in the back field. I will say, however, Im currently more impressed with Richardson. He doesnt seem to have the ball security issues, has better vision, and is just as explosive. Given what I have seen, he should be given the chance to compete for the #2 RB job.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
cfin5256 said:

Not sure that is true. It almost seems that Pead is currently too fast for the game, meaning that he seems to be forcing plays and trying to create something that is not there. Last night he lost nine yards on a play that was going nowhere. Taking the 2 yard loss puts the offense in a better position at 2nd & 12 vs. 2nd & 19. If you watch most smaller backs, they hide behind the O-Line waiting for the gap to open then burst through. It just seems like he is trying to get out in the open too quickly not allowing his blockers to creat the running lanes. I said this last week after the Indy game, he just needs to take a deep breath and let the game come to him. Richardson did that last night allowing him to have some nice runs. We all like to see our running backs gash the defense with long runs, but 5-10 yard runs are just, if not more, effective in wearing down the defense.

cfin5256

Rookie
MontanaRamFan said:
cfin5256 said:

Not sure that is true. It almost seems that Pead is currently too fast for the game, meaning that he seems to be forcing plays and trying to create something that is not there. Last night he lost nine yards on a play that was going nowhere. Taking the 2 yard loss puts the offense in a better position at 2nd & 12 vs. 2nd & 19. If you watch most smaller backs, they hide behind the O-Line waiting for the gap to open then burst through. It just seems like he is trying to get out in the open too quickly not allowing his blockers to creat the running lanes. I said this last week after the Indy game, he just needs to take a deep breath and let the game come to him. Richardson did that last night allowing him to have some nice runs. We all like to see our running backs gash the defense with long runs, but 5-10 yard runs are just, if not more, effective in wearing down the defense.

That's actually more what I meant, just said it totally wrong. That's what I get for posting pre-coffee.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
cfin5256 said:
MontanaRamFan said:
cfin5256 said:

That's actually more what I meant, just said it totally wrong. That's what I get for posting pre-coffee.

:nice:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
X said:
paceram said:
Honestly, I don't see Richardson having success with our 2nd string o-line against their starting D either. :oops:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:
Lesson said:
I agree. [hil]But to be fair, just as importantly Pead had the #2s blocking against KC #1s and Richardson had #2/3 against #2/3. There were just no holes for Pead, except on the TD run.[/hil] The concerning thing to me is how Pead is not setting up his blocks. Richardson looks much more patient out there-waits for a hole then hits it with full speed. He could be a very good 3rd down back.

Also, KC is loaded at RB. Cassell looked pretty good when his O-line gave him some time. I think with Dwayne Bowe and the running game their offense could be decent if they improved their O-line play.
This^

No holes and penetration, no blocks to set up.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Pead seems to have "House-itis". That's where you try to take every carry to the house instead of taking what you can get. Practicing lots in shell could reinforce that.
Richardson seems to be like. "Screw it I need some yards to make the team so I see a sliver of daylight I'm up in that".
Just going to take some time to for Pead to adjust.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Just watched the game for the 3rd time....still awesome btw. Richardson just looks more explosive than Pead to me. He makes his cut and goes north/south immediately. Seems like he gets to his top gear faster also. Pead really had no running lanes whatsoever, which is annoying, but I think he will be fine also. Can't wait to see more of Richardson tho. I said it jokingly after the draft, but wouldn't it be a trip if the Rams drafted the better Richardson RB this year?? Haha.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
I said it jokingly after the draft, but wouldn't it be a trip if the Rams drafted the better Richardson RB this year?? Haha.....
It really would. Pretty stoked to see him run with the 1's against Dallas, and I'm hoping they motion him out of the backfield and send him up the seam. I keep going back to Jenkins' comments prior to his being drafted, and how he said the ONE guy who gave him fits while he was at North Alabama, was "the rb from Abilene Christian." And that, of course, is Daryl Richardson. I'd like to see more of what that's all about.