I'm Genuinely Intrigued with Fassel and this Thursday's game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Ewe. Those helmets are ugly. The 1999 Superbowl season uniforms are the best. :rant:
05d5e525-096c-4cef-9b97-ecc9c4757cea_zps2k2geezh.jpg

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Step #1 -- field the kickoff cleanly....then take it from there.

But to tomorrow night's game specifically, I keep thinking about 2008 -- particularly the 2 games right after Linehan got fired. The Rams were 0-4 and they knocked out 2 wins against Dallas and Washington...there was some temporary euphoria going on there.

I'm wondering if we might see something similar tomorrow night -- hope so, anyway.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From the Fassel press conference, he doesn't plan to change a thing with the Fisher game plan. He was making statement of how much he admired Fisher, and that he was busy just trying to visit all of the position groups...As for the development of Goff and the passing game, he said that he doesn't have that much experience with that....

Somebody shoot me.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
He wasn't. The offense was predicated on a simple philosophy. Run to set up the pass. When the run wasn't there, they simply passed. The Detroit and Tampa games show us that there was nobody stepping on Boras's neck. He had to find a way to get the offense to score points while adhering to the principle of getting the run game going, first and foremost. Every team in the league, with the exception of maybe two, would love to be able to run the ball

with fisher gone and nothing to lose maybe they should pass to set up the run.i would like to see the first 12 plays be passes whether it takes 1 posession or 4. it might free up gurley after all whats to lose

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Another defensive struggle. Rams win by 3 holding off Wilson as time expires. The players will come out fired up and pissed off.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
with fisher gone and nothing to lose maybe they should pass to set up the run.i would like to see the first 12 plays be passes whether it takes 1 posession or 4. it might free up gurley after all whats to lose
I think every fan has their own game plan they'd like to employ, but there isn't going to be any philosophy changes under Fassel, unfortunately. He's just a figurehead while the O and D prepares like they always do. All he'll do is challenge plays, manage the clock, provide input into situational play-calling when asked, and make decisions about whether or not to go for it on 4th down. Stuff like that. He's not going to make any changes to either game-plan, IMO. If we win by a lot, it won't be his doing. If we lose by a lot, it won't be his doing either.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
After the dumpster fire was put out the players are coming out relaxed and ready to play. Manpower alone will win the game.
I can see the Rams winning out to finish the season

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I want to see if Boras was held back by fisher. I don't think Fassel will even have time to talk to the coordinators just tell them to have at it.
I agree this is the great question to watch tomorrow. It's such an exciting opportunity for these guys to totally revamp the team philosophy with nothing to lose, but if the philosophy was Boras's to begin with then it will just be a disappointing thud of same old approach, same old results, and a few more painful games riding out the string.

But it's still fun to dream. Imagine if instead of the philosophy that offense is just something that doesn't turn the ball over before scoring 3 points, Boras actually attacked a defense to win. Imagine instead of every pass looking afraid to make a mistake, a pass fearlessly traveled *past* the first down marker (w-o-w!). Imagine a confused defense expecting the same inside zone, outside zone boring runs instead gashed by quick traps and misdirection, and then when fully set up on its heels it gets steamrolled by Gurley jammed down their throat.

Yes, yes, the chorus will cry "it can't be done with our horrible offensive line" and "we don't have WRs that can catch" and "but Gurley sucks this year" and "Goff isn't ready he'll get killed" and all those "can't" and "won't" things that defined the Fisher era that are all probably true.

But it's still fun to dream that Boras might actually try it for once.

Oh well, obviously they are going to treat this time as a resume filler and do the same old "what's expected" thing instead of a balls-out unexpected thing that could totally backfire on them, because that's what smart people looking for their next job do. They will play for a "respectable loss" as the ultimate goal, so everyone nods their heads and says "good job, that's the best that could be done under these circumstances".

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could Fassel be the next Dabo Swinney?Dabo was just a wr coach that was thrown into the fire halfway through the season.Remembering him saying he really didn't know what he was suppose to do after the first game,didn't know what to say.Won a few games,put together a staff,adjusted it a little,and the rest is history.Fassel reminds me a little of him,but has a much tougher road than Dabo did especially with only 3 games left

Are you asking if Fassel will remain the head coach after this season?

No. He won't. Even if he goes 3-0.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since I don't believe that Fassel will be anything but a caretaker for a few games, I definitely don't think he will be our HC next year. I would be very surprised if Demoff and Kroenke don't fire all of the coaches at seasons end, allowing the new HC to assemble his own coaching staff. I like Gregg Williams, but unless it's Asshole Face, I can't see allowing a coach as important as the DC from the Fisher regime being allowed to stay. If Williams is forced on the new HC, I will have very little optimism that the new HC will do anything for the next 3 years. We need a HC candidate that knows what a real offense looks like, and how to make Jared Goff into a great QB....that is all.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Cunningham and Alexander are out. Quinn and Gaines are doubtful which means likely out. Longacre questionable and likely plays.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cunningham and Alexander are out. Quinn and Gaines are doubtful which means likely out. Longacre questionable and likely plays.
It's all about that high 2nd round pick, bruthah!

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I think every fan has their own game plan they'd like to employ, but there isn't going to be any philosophy changes under Fassel, unfortunately. He's just a figurehead while the O and D prepares like they always do. All he'll do is challenge plays, manage the clock, provide input into situational play-calling when asked, and make decisions about whether or not to go for it on 4th down. Stuff like that. He's not going to make any changes to either game-plan, IMO. If we win by a lot, it won't be his doing. If we lose by a lot, it won't be his doing either.

i'm not sure why you think there won't be a change in philosophy. I can see there isn't time for a scheme change but it would be simple for fassel to tell boras to throw more on first down and run 10 or 12 fake and real jet sweeps. maybe throw in some screen passes. after all what they have been doing hasn't worked not that fassel thinks he can get the hc job but maybe he just wants to get some wins. any way I think i'm going to try to find fassel phone number and call him and try to talk him into passing on the first 12 plays.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
i'm not sure why you think there won't be a change in philosophy. I can see there isn't time for a scheme change but it would be simple for fassel to tell boras to throw more on first down and run 10 or 12 fake and real jet sweeps. maybe throw in some screen passes. after all what they have been doing hasn't worked not that fassel thinks he can get the hc job but maybe he just wants to get some wins. any way I think i'm going to try to find fassel phone number and call him and try to talk him into passing on the first 12 plays.
You may have a point. It's possible he might want to get freaky to close out the season.
I just don't see it. But ... you never do know.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Fisher was always up for seahag games and liked to throw in a trick play to make Carroll look stupid.. I hope they throw in a a fake punt or something else that continues that. I love it when Pete whines like a little girl when the Rams trick him.

That punt where Austin signaled "fair catch" and all the seahags players ran to him when the ball really went to the other side of the field and Bailey returned it for a TD before any of them knew what was going on, one of my favorite all time Ram plays. Pete Carroll turned five shades of red.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You may have a point. It's possible he might want to get freaky to close out the season.
I just don't see it. But ... you never do know.
Do that thing!

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Duuuuude....These are the best! (player and uni's!)

lB6elHn.jpg

Duuuude. I gotta disagree, haha. It's like trading in your 32 inch color tv for a 32 inch black and white. :)

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian

Makes sense. But riddle me this. Do you think he'll be MORE likely or LESS likely to try fake punts and fake field goals?
I think less likely.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
any way I think i'm going to try to find fassel phone number and call him and try to talk him into passing on the first 12 plays.

1-800-137POUNDS