ILB Kenny Young returns to his "backyard" after trade to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Kenny Young returns to his "backyard" after trade from Ravens to Rams
Stu Jackson
https://www.therams.com/video/one-on-one-kenny-young

New Rams LB Kenny Young is a native of New Orleans, Louisiana, though he could almost count Los Angeles as a second home.A trade from the Ravens to Rams on Tuesday brought him to a new team, but one with many recognizable faces and sights."Back home, UCLA's right down the street, so it really feels like I'm in my backyard," Young told Rams team reporter Sarina Morales after practice Wednesday.

Indeed, Young's former college campus is less than an hour from the Rams' training facility. It turns out the proximity played a role in his eventual path to the Rams, too.Young got on Los Angeles' radar during his Bruins career, which was highlighted by two highly seasons as an upperclassman. He posted 90 tackles, five sacks, three pass breakups and three fumble recoveries en route to All-Pac 12 second team honors as a junior, then followed it up with a team-high 110 tackles, one sack and three pass breakups in a first-team all-conference senior season.

"We knew he was a really talented athlete," Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. "He can run, he can change direction and has speed. He has some real good assets (for a defense)."

Ultimately, he ended up getting chosen No. 122 overall by the Ravens in the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft, posting 64 total tackles, 2.5 sacks, one pass breakup and two forced fumbles across 21 career games in Baltimore. The Rams never lost sight of him, though.

"We had some affinity for what he could do in college because he was right down the road," Rams GM Les Snead said. "I knew he had started a good bit of games, so we call it ‘blue man.’ I can punch blue man and filter out his plays and I got (Director, Pro Scouting) Ray Agnew, ‘Hey, run down and see if (Special Teams Coordinator) Coach (John) Fassel would appreciate him.’ Again, because of the (LB) Bryce Hager injury a couple of weeks ago, we had been talking about, ‘What if he can’t go, do we need to get a linebacker?’ It was nice timing on Kenny as well."

During his rookie season in Baltimore, he teamed up with veteran safety Eric Weddle, who signed with the Rams earlier this offseason. Young views Weddle as a role model."He was the guy on the defense," Young said about his interactions with Weddle last season. "He's always the guy, man. He's an intelligent guy, and he knows the game very, very well from all aspects. I strive to be in that position one day very, very early. With him being here, it's cool."

So far, he's acclimating to his new linebacker room well. Rams ILB Cory Littleton said Young is doing everything he can to be ready whenever his number is called. He's a smart dude," LB Cory Littleton said. "Willing to pick anything up. He's really loving the system that's here in place, and he said he's picking it up pretty well. A guy that's just devoting himself to everything that we've already got going on, just to make sure he'll be ready for us 100 percent whenever that will be, is always a great guy in my book."

While Young's role is still to be determined – understandable, as he has completed two practices and a walkthrough as of Thursday evening – he already has a strong understanding of what's expected of him within his own position group "I think it's just simple – come in and be an enforcer, run sideline to sideline, make plays, communicate, have fun and win, cause turnovers," Young said. "It's the right fit for me and I'm excited."

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
I like that he can run. Rams need some speed at the LBer spot. I don't know if he just becomes a special teamer or a regular contributor. Reeder too slow and Hager is a question mark. I have to wonder why he wan't playing much with the Ravens. Let's get him on the field and see what he can do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"We knew he was a really talented athlete," Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. "He can run, he can change direction and has speed. He has some real good assets (for a defense)."
Changing direction is where Reeder struggles. Going to be interesting to see how long it takes him to get up to speed.

oldnotdead

Legend
Both Young and Corbett were targeted trades for players the Rams looked hard at in the 2018 draft. They have a pretty good idea who they have in both players. I can see Corbett as their replacement for Blythe at RG. Young is the ILB the Ram's need at that other ILB spot. He has enough speed to cover TE's and RB's.

Young is slightly faster, but Reed timed better in the 3 cone. Overall they are pretty close athletically. That said Young might have better instincts, i.e. a better feel for the game with the ability to read the play faster. That is what bothered me about Reeder. I think he's a year or two away from being a decent player. The fact the Rams went after Young after watching Reeder play says volumes about what they see as well. Reeder was a liability in coverage and IMO that is what hurt him most. It's why IMO Rapp saw so much playing time. With Johnson on IR Rapp will be expected to at some point assume the start at safety, so they needed an ILB who could cover in their base defense. Middleton has done an outstanding job, but he lacks the speed to play anything other than zone.

I think both of these young guys look to factor in after the bye.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trading for ILB'er Young serves as a present need with what may be a long term shoulder issue with Bryce Hager & the poor pass coverage skills of UDFA Rookie Troy Reader. Reeder has done well enough in the run game, but he is a known target in early downs for OC's. Troy Reeder simply does not have the athletic ability in coverage needed to start full time in Wade's defense.

Key Point Here.......It's apparent that since Wade/Barry did not move Littleton back to his 2018 all star position @ MLB'er After the injuries to Micah Kiser & Bryce Hager, they want Littleton to remain in the old Mark Barron ILB post for "LONG TIME" future. He is Barry's best LB'er by a wide margin. Littleton's back up is first year LB'er Travin Howard, basically a rookie. Howard would appear to be the best answer to the ILB'er issues but for some reason the Rams have no faith in him.

Young must have some abilities to play MLB'er even though he is on the smaller side. Trading a young former first round selection, all pro five-year starter.......a player the Org traded two draft picks for a back up ILB'er & a 3rd day draft pick in 2020????? There must be a master plan somewhere in this.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Trading for ILB'er Young serves as a present need with what may be a long term shoulder issue with Bryce Hager & the poor pass coverage skills of UDFA Rookie Troy Reader. Reeder has done well enough in the run game, but he is a known target in early downs for OC's. Troy Reeder simply does not have the athletic ability in coverage needed to start full time in Wade's defense.

Key Point Here.......It's apparent that since Wade/Barry did not move Littleton back to his 2018 all star position @ MLB'er After the injuries to Micah Kiser & Bryce Hager, they want Littleton to remain in the old Mark Barron ILB post for "LONG TIME" future. He is Barry's best LB'er by a wide margin. Littleton's back up is first year LB'er Travin Howard, basically a rookie. Howard would appear to be the best answer to the ILB'er issues but for some reason the Rams have no faith in him.

Young must have some abilities to play MLB'er even though he is on the smaller side. Trading a young former first round selection, all pro five-year starter.......a player the Org traded two draft picks for a back up ILB'er & a 3rd day draft pick in 2020????? There must be a master plan somewhere in this.
They got what they could for Peters. They wanted his cap space. Saved them $5.6M that can be used next year as they will need it.

More teams are playing man to man and Peters can't do that AND he is basically a 10 week rental.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Kenny Young reminds me of Danny Trevathan. He's 1" taller and 4# heavier, so basically the same build. Both run sideline to sideline and hit.

Trevathan would be a TERRIBLE fit in NE which uses big ILBs, but he was great in Wade's D. He was a 6th rounder, iirc.

Kenny Young looks to be that guy and Young and Ramsey give Wade most of what he needs to make this a super tough D.

We have a better Derek Wolfe in AD. We have a Malik Jackson in Brockers. We may have our Sylvester Williams in SJD.

We now basically have all the pieces and once Talib and Matthews return, he could basically run that NFZ Defense...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Kenny Young = Mike Jones??

#thetackle2

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kenny Young reminds me of Danny Trevathan. He's 1" taller and 4# heavier, so basically the same build. Both run sideline to sideline and hit.

Trevathan would be a TERRIBLE fit in NE which uses big ILBs, but he was great in Wade's D. He was a 6th rounder, iirc.

Kenny Young looks to be that guy and Young and Ramsey give Wade most of what he needs to make this a super tough D.

We have a better Derek Wolfe in AD. We have a Malik Jackson in Brockers. We may have our Sylvester Williams in SJD.

We now basically have all the pieces and once Talib and Matthews return, he could basically run that NFZ Defense...

Was screaming for Fisher to draft Trevathan in the fifth round. So, so disappointed when he went to the Broncos.

If Kenny Young is anything like Trevathan, we got ourselves a steal.