ILB cuts today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Snead/ McVay/ Staley has one of the best overall secondaries IMO in the NFL. I know of no reason why you would not get this talented unit as many snaps as possible this season.

Travin Howards weakside ILB'er position was manned most of the time last season by a safety. Rapp as a rookie came in & got a ton of snaps there early before JJ III was injured/IR'd. Even with the injury & loss of JJ III (who is now the defensive signal-caller for Staley) Rams went with an HD safety package all season long. I would expect more of the same.

It's my understanding that Sneads 6th round draft selection Jordan Fuller has been a standout sensation playing in place of last seasons star safety Rapp this 2020 TC. I have heard nothing but high praise about him. Rams now have 3 safeties JJ III, Rapp & Fuller who all need snaps in this defense. Well with the injury to Howard who was also a hybrid safety in college gone there should be no reason for real concern.

UDFA rookie ILB'er Troy Reader who is very unpopular here @ this forum started five games & played in all 16 gms last season showed up in great physical shape this TC & I would expect that he will not be as much of a liability in the passing game as most think he will be. Just for informational purposes Reader was a starting strong-side OLB'er in college.

Waiting in the wings is another special Snead discovery 7th rd pick Johnston ILB'er, who needs more time to develop. Johnston was released but was assigned one of the 4 new practice squad protected slots. I can't wait to see this guy work his way off the PS & onto the MR in due time.

Ram65

Legend
I am not a coach. just a lifelong Rams fan but why not pick up 1 vet ILB (like Nigel Bradham) for security until the young guys prove themselves. I hope I am wrong but I have hope for Kiser then I don’t have a lot of optimism for anyone else this year at ILB.

Isnt Bradham too expensive for us?

I was wondering about him.

• Date of Birth: September 4, 1989

Bradham's contract was only for $1,187,500 and now the 'Aints had to eat the $287,500. I guess the Rams could afford him. The question is at 31 years of age and being a MLBer in a 4-3 defense is he really an upgrade over Kenny Young?

I really don't know. I looked up his PPF grades earlier and they were right around 64-66 over the past three years.

I did find this.

Disappointing linebackers: Nigel Bradham and Kamu Grugier-Hill are among the NFL's worst tackling linebackers, per PFF. Among 79 linebackers (min. 150 snaps), they rank 79th (Bradham) and 73rd (Grugier-Hill).Oct 31, 2019

7 takeaways from Eagles' midseason Pro Football Focus grades
www.nj.com › eagles › 2019/10 › 7-takeaways-from-ea...

I'm sure the Rams know about him. I'm not sure if he is worth signing.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Some LBs cut that I would kick the tires on for depth. These guys shouldn't be any worse than Malik Wilson as a backup a couple years ago as a comparison:

Kyle Emanuel
Todd Davis
Vosean Joseph
D'andre Walker
Francis Bernard

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Honestly I am a little confused where everyone is looking for a coverage linebacker.

I for one was excited about Travin Howard but he was more tweener than actual linebacker.

Kenny Young has athleticism but hasn't been able to stick and that's not due to his physical gifts.

Kiser has size to fill lanes and is athletic in his own right.

Ashawn Robinson being out hurts a lot in that ILB area. But not due to coverage more due to run stopping.

IMO when we need coverage our defense will be deploying secondary players. Rapp is good in coverage and isn't scared to come up and make a tackle - he's also relatively sound in assignment (don't look at the end of that niner game). JJ is also willing to come up into the box and make the tackle.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If they sign a guy it will be a run plugger for our SF & Seattle gms.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Ya, just looking more like we running hybrid 3-3-5 a bunch, whatever anyone says in public, the actual numbers on the roster seem to support this (final count LB vs Safety) vs traditional 3-4-4. With a new creative DC, lets hope he has a few tricks for it and can actually make it a strength, aka got only lemons, make a badass lemonade!

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams only kept the ILB on the roster I believe.
They are a man under the roster limit.
It makes they are shopping for an ILB.
If they can’t find one they like or afford they will bring back one of the cuts.
It says to me Rapp will be sliding down a lot playing close to the line, where he is very effective.
Floyd could slide inside with Samson and Oko outside of need be as well, although I don’t think we will see this much.
Who gonna be on the field alot of the time?
Donald, Brockers, Floyd, Ramsey, Hill (or the #2 CB), Johnson, Rapp and probably Ebukam.
Those remaining three spots will be about mixing and matching and finding rotations that work.
We may see that vary a lot week to week depending on matchups.
I expect plenty of bumps early on.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah if it's not a coverage backer I doubt we will be too active.
If we do sign someone its going to be an ILB that's good in coverage
I see Rams getting shredded by TE's over the middle
Yeah there's a pretty good coverage LB starting in Vegas this year.
200w.webp

Paydirt

UDFA
I still like the idea of moving Trapp inside to linebacker !! Fuller has been ballin' out, and Burgess could probably handle the safety spot as well