If You Could Only Stand For One Guy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If you could only stand up for one guy who would it be?

• Vermeil

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Warner

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't edit this on my iPad. How come?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Warner all the way,Vermeil is a pretty good even very good coach and was building a winner but without the Martz , Green, Faulk infusions Vermeil just would have never gotten the time to be who he is to this franchise

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Neither of them have successful careers without Martz.

Yeah, I said it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Neither of them have successful careers without Martz.

Yeah, I said it.

I can agree with that(well...in Vermeil's case...he already had been successful). But to answer this question, Kurt Warner.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can agree with that(well...in Vermeil's case...he already had been successful). But to answer this question, Kurt Warner.
I'll say Kurt Warner too, and ask ... how was Vermeil successful? 1 NFC Championship game loss in his 9 years before Martz. If you think about it, that's the same "success" that Dennis Green had. And the only reason I'm bringing it up is because Martz would be an interesting poll option.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say Kurt Warner too, and ask ... how was Vermeil successful? 1 NFC Championship game loss in his 9 years before Martz. If you think about it, that's the same "success" that Dennis Green had. And the only reason I'm bringing it up is because Martz would be an interesting poll option.

Vermeil was successful with Philadelphia. And he went to the Super Bowl in Philly.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cardinals?
Would Warner have ever gotten his shot at stardom without Martz? You have to wonder if the offense takes that leap without him.

The Rams were 9-23 before he got here.

PhxRam

Would Warner have ever gotten his shot at stardom without Martz? You have to wonder if the offense takes that leap without him.

The Rams were 9-23 before he got here.

Does Martz become Martz without GSOT?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Vermeil was successful with Philadelphia. And he went to the Super Bowl in Philly.
Of course. I meant SB loss and Conference loss for Denny. Is that the measure of success though? An appearance? Would he be viewed as successful if he didn't take the job in St Louis?

tonyl711

Starter
Warner, and it wasn't Martz that gave Kurt his shot, it was Green getting injured, I also believe that even without Martz Kurt would have done good what with the the weapons he had to work with.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It's a fair question, but the fact is Green was lighting it up preseason W/O Marshal and was brought here because of work he'd done w/o the GSOT so it could be argued he WAS "Martz" when he got here.
But we're mission creeping here, in the end Martz did save both peoples careers and that is worthy of note ,but players are expected to be impacted by coaching, a HC who has to be saved from a mutinous locker room and basically abdicate control of his offense to a guy he didn't even want to hire, is not every day business.

I guess it is fair to ask, AFTER they had each other who made it back to the SB w/o the other,Kurt.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course. I meant SB loss and Conference loss for Denny. Is that the measure of success though? An appearance? Would he be viewed as successful if he didn't take the job in St Louis?

Yea. I'd say so. Going to a Super Bowl and having a record over .500 as a coach is successful to me. Especially when the team you took over hadn't had a winning record in a decade and hadn't been to the playoffs in over 15 years.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's an excellent question. Considering he was only a QB coach prior to joining the Rams, it's hard to say. He was the architect of that offense, and orchestrated the whole thing. To the point that Vermeil just decided to give him free reign instead of questioning his playcalling in different situations where any other OC or HC would dial it back. If the Rams made the same offseason moves and had, say, Saunders in 1999, would it be as successful?

Chicken/egg conversation I guess.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yea. I'd say so. Going to a Super Bowl and having a record over .500 as a coach is successful to me. Especially when the team you took over hadn't had a winning record in a decade and hadn't been to the playoffs in over 15 years.
That's a good point.