If you could be born in any other time in human civilzation?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
If you could be born in any other time during human civilization what would it be? Key words are during human civilization, so no saying during the cretaceous period haha.

So have at it! :yeh:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: If you could be born in any other time in human civilzat

Medieval times for sure. Love that era.

Wouldn't love the life expectancy of 40 years old, or the lack of A/C and decent medical care, but I do love everything else about it. Throwing down with just swords and your own strength. Awesome.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Whenever intergalactic space travel is perfected.

Unless you mean only going back in history. Then WWII, to serve in the military.

Unless I can bring things back with me. Then Medieval Times... With an Abrams Tank, Bradley Fighting Vehicle, and a fuel truck. And I'd take over the world.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Oooh, I'd like to be w/ the Vikings.

Thank you History Channel for that show.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I've long thought we are growing up in the best era. Technology is amazing. Medicine is effective. The globe might be warming but it's not a disaster. Sure, there are idiots (gangs and nut jobs like Saddam, Osama, and N Korea)... but their capabilities are limited.

I'm not a doom and gloom guy, but I think the world as we know it is down to it's final 100 years or so. At that point; some idiot will start a war... microbiological agent or nuclear. It will happen.

Or... a disease (thanks to world travel) causes major damage.

So if I had to pick; I like my spot in time. I might go back one more generation... Simplier times, people with morals, etc. And... a least there were indoor plumbing and deodorants... :lmao:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Any other time? I think I'd be a samurai in feudal Japan. The possibility of fighting with my own intelligence and strength (as well as with the reliable and elegant katana) against the trickery of the ninjas and the invasions of rival shoguns and their armies...the idea of honor, nobility, and common courtesy that seems to be absent nowadays...I admire that concept.

The potential of having to commit seppuku would suck, and the swords and arrows would hurt, but overall, it sounds pretty good to me.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

1950's USA

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

I think blue has the right idea. Except that even space travel in the near future (100-200 years) won't be anything like Star Trek. Traveling to a distant world would be a frontier-type experience; lotsa grit and danger.

I read books by Jack McDevitt (SF mysteries), and his future has humanity spread throughout the Orion arm. With technology (outside of the space travel) only a bit more advanced, similar politics and racial diversity. That's when I wish I was born.

It's fantastical, but the past does nothing for me.

Psycho_X

Legend

I would LOVE to visit a lot of times. Midevil, during both world wars in various areas to see how the world reacted to stuff than, ancient egypt, walk the streets of Rome during the height of its reign of Cesar, visit Washington DC during the creation of our country, etc. Basically would love to witness the significant events in history or just hang around a couple days during some of the greatest dynasties in history to see how the people spent their days and how the cities looked.

But to live... I wouldn't pass up the time I've lived in for any of those. I like my air conditioning and cars lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Piggy-backing off of psycho's comments...

I'd LOVE to see how they pulled off those pyramids back in Ancient Egyptian times. I wonder how many UFO's they needed to get those 2000lb blocks at the top of those things. Probably only one, but still... I'd like to see that happen.

That and Stonehenge. The hell is that thing about anyway?

So, yeah. If I had access to Bill & Ted's time traveling phone booth, I think I'd like to go back to multiple eras just to learn how some of the great mysteries of our planet's history came to pass.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Psycho_X said:
I would LOVE to visit a lot of times. Midevil, during both world wars in various areas to see how the world reacted to stuff than, ancient egypt, walk the streets of Rome during the height of its reign of Cesar, visit Washington DC during the creation of our country, etc. Basically would love to witness the significant events in history or just hang around a couple days during some of the greatest dynasties in history to see how the people spent their days and how the cities looked.

But to live... I wouldn't pass up the time I've lived in for any of those. I like my air conditioning and cars lol.

But the question is if you could be born in another time. So you wouldn't know about A/C or cars anyway. It's not going back in time.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall

Britain in Victorian times. We pretty much invented everything useful that Edison didn't. Did a lot of bad stuff too but it'd be fun to be around then.

X, they reckon Stonehenge was originally a burial ground and only gained neo-druid religious significance later. It was built in roughly 3000 BC.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

ScotsRam said:
Britain in Victorian times. We pretty much invented everything useful that Edison didn't. Did a lot of bad stuff too but it'd be fun to be around then.

X, they reckon Stonehenge was originally a burial ground and only gained neo-druid religious significance later. It was built in roughly 3000 BC.
How'd they stack those stones? That's what I wanna know. And of course how they got them there in the first place.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall

The Dude said:
ScotsRam said:

How'd they stack those stones? That's what I wanna know. And of course how they got them there in the first place.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Best guess is ropes, leverage and a LOT of manpower. Unless you believe in aliens or whatever I guess!

fastcat

Pro Bowler

I too would like to go to different era's becuase im infactuated with the mysterious of the world!! I would want to go to see acient eygpt and see how the pyramiads were made, see how and why they studied the stars. Ive heard the average joe back then knew more about the universe, than todays astrologist. I wanna know why everyone around the world built pyriamds or mounds around the same time period. And i bet ill stumble across why those damn aliens stop communicating with the humans. And i wanna go to Atlantis. So yea i guess id need to jump in that time machine too, lol.

Edit: looks like i got off topic or read the topic wrong, but back on topic! I guess i would like to be born in the 70s lol. I love ac, forced induction heat, refrigerators, microwaves, cars, and airplanes. So i wouldnt want to deprive myself of those creature comforts.

Scotsram, everyone knows aliens from the galaxy in Orion's belt gave the acient people the k nowledge to move big giant boulders with ease.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

Definitely the 40's and 50's in the USA baby! Would have served in the armed services to take out Germany and Japan. Plus pin up girls back in the 40's were hot!

Sailor-Pin-Up-Art-Wallpaper2-copy.jpg