If we had to trade AD in the off- season for draft picks.........

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rocko

UDFA
.....what could we expect to receive. I know this is an unpopular discussion during the season as AD has been a beast since he re-joined the team, and has made life better for the players around him, but I'm having a difficult time with offering him a mega deal contract that eats up a large part of our salary cap for just one player. I really believe in McVay and the coaching staff to build a "team" rather than center around 1 individual player on defense. Plus with him holding out all pre-season and missing the first game of the season, it has left a sour taste in my mouth, and whose to say he is not going to do the same thing this upcoming off season. I really believe we could have an incredible defense without him, save a boatload of money to be spread around many other players, and walk away in a trade with a first and second round pick at least. As someone said in another thread, Cleveland has the money to sign AD to a long term contract, and the draft picks to make the deal. And they sure as heck could use AD to be the point of there defense. What do you think.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We don't need to trade him, we won't trade him, and we shouldn't trade him.

But if we did - I would need to start the bidding at 2 1s plus 2 2s from a team already picking in the top 5.

Consider this - you get a scratch off lotto ticket that is a $50,000 winner. How many other scratch-offs would you trade that bad boy for?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.....what could we expect to receive. I know this is an unpopular discussion during the season as AD has been a beast since he re-joined the team, and has made life better for the players around him, but I'm having a difficult time with offering him a mega deal contract that eats up a large part of our salary cap for just one player. I really believe in McVay and the coaching staff to build a "team" rather than center around 1 individual player on defense. Plus with him holding out all pre-season and missing the first game of the season, it has left a sour taste in my mouth. I really believe we could have an incredible defense without him, save a boatload of money to be spread around many other players, and walk away in a trade with a first and second round pick at least. As someone said in another thread, Cleveland has the money to sign AD to a long term contract, and the draft picks to make the deal. And they sure as heck could use AD to be the point of there defense. What do you think.

What do I think? You are correct it will not be a popular discussion in this forum on this matter on AD future with the Rams. However its a real good question. Most here will just defer to Demoff/Snead & avoid the discussion saying AD will not be traded. Its a deep subject with many elements attached to it. Teams have been trading talented performers who are in the last season under contract & AD would fall into this situation.

Rams NOW have an offensive minded HC who has several franchised type offensive player (QB & RB) who fans will desire to be resigned here with new ultra high $$$ contracts in the near future. The OL will face 3 departing starters (Saffold/ Havenstein/Brown) in FA'cy in less than 16 months. Protection for Goff is paramount to this teams success. LT Whitworth will be closing in on 38 yrs old by then & a replacement has to be lined up ASAP. Many here also want Sammy Watkins to get a high $$$ contract too that will require mega amounts of guaranteed $$$.

Wade has seen many of his starting DL'ers over the past decades depart for big high $$$ contracts elsewhere. Wade has a history of fielding higher paid defenders in the back 8 not the front 3. Where he continues to field excellent defenses who win championships & playoff games.

Securing numerous first & second day high round draft selections for a very unhappy DT who future salary will cause a large depletion of very good players over time thus degrading the teams ability to win...... A trade would sure assist this team in its precariousness salary cap issues the next few years & help this team keep its window open longer to win big for a longer period of time into the future.

The Browns have 2 firsts, 3 seconds, 1 third, 2 fourths, 2 fifths, 2 sixths & a seventh. The Browns DC was AD's coach for 3 seasons. Its a sure bet that all of those Brown own 7 of 13 selections will be the first or second high selections of all draft rounds. Cleveland is about 2 hrs from AD's hometown. I know what I would do.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
while I'd want high draft picks - I don't want the Rams to have them all come due at once. I also would like a large number of mid round picks - our coach knows what to do with those, and that would help the pipeline keep going for years to come.

Say a very high pick in 2018, a couple of mid rounders in 2018, some mid to second day picks for 2019, and a first plus a late pick or two in 2020. As the starting bid to even get the Rams interested.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, first I'd want a sharp blade to cut my wrists with....

Then I wouldn't care watching the Rams defense become mediocre without AD and seeing him retire with another team and inducted into the Hall of Fame being the star of that team......I mean, I'd be dead...but even then my head would explode in the casket....

subTYY9.jpg

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Did you see him manhandle the two o lineman, strip the ball and sack Cousins all in one motion!

You don't trade players that consistently do that unless you're stupid.
McVay and Wade Phillips and Snead are not stupid.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
For a Future Hall of Famer who has many more years in the NFL, I'd say NO trade of Aaron Donald. The guy is a BEAST. And I prefer he'll retire a Ram and go into the Hall of Fame as a Ram.

Things can be worked out with AD. It depends on his agent. If his agent is being difficult like the Poston brothers, then AD needs a new rep.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All of the Browns draft picks for the next five years?

That sounds about right...

On a sidenote... I have to be honest... I doubted picking Donald and was pretty vocal about that. As many others commented, I was concerned about his size.

I've missed more than my share over the years... but, man, that miss was a doozy!!
:LOL:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This defense is already in need of a legit, elite 2nd pass rusher. Quinn hasn't been the guy. The edge guys aren't there either.
Can't trade Donald and expect the pass rush to improve.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No. We're not trading him. We have years for him to sign a lucrative long-term contract with us, and we absolutely don't need to trade him.

jap

Legend
What do I think? You are correct it will not be a popular discussion in this forum on this matter on AD future with the Rams. However its a real good question. Most here will just defer to Demoff/Snead & avoid the discussion saying AD will not be traded. Its a deep subject with many elements attached to it. Teams have been trading talented performers who are in the last season under contract & AD would fall into this situation.

Rams NOW have an offensive minded HC who has several franchised type offensive player (QB & RB) who fans will desire to be resigned here with new ultra high $$$ contracts in the near future. The OL will face 3 departing starters (Saffold/ Havenstein/Brown) in FA'cy in less than 16 months. Protection for Goff is paramount to this teams success. LT Whitworth will be closing in on 38 yrs old by then & a replacement has to be lined up ASAP. Many here also want Sammy Watkins to get a high $$$ contract too that will require mega amounts of guaranteed $$$.

Wade has seen many of his starting DL'ers over the past decades depart for big high $$$ contracts elsewhere. Wade has a history of fielding higher paid defenders in the back 8 not the front 3. Where he continues to field excellent defenses who win championships & playoff games.

Securing numerous first & second day high round draft selections for a very unhappy DT who future salary will cause a large depletion of very good players over time thus degrading the teams ability to win...... A trade would sure assist this team in its precariousness salary cap issues the next few years & help this team keep its window open longer to win big for a longer period of time into the future.

The Browns have 2 firsts, 3 seconds, 1 third, 2 fourths, 2 fifths, 2 sixths & a seventh. The Browns DC was AD's coach for 3 seasons. Its a sure bet that all of those Brown own 7 of 13 selections will be the first or second high selections of all draft rounds. Cleveland is about 2 hrs from AD's hometown. I know what I would do.

If it comes down to this, I hope the coaches and team can keep their focus together for a Super Bowl run this season. It's a lot to ask for from an essentially rookie QB and the second youngest team in the NFL. They have grown up a lot in the first half of this season and will have to grow up even more to minimize the kind of mistakes that kill games. If we are to lose AD, I would rather he win at least one SB with us. Ditto for Tavon, The Mighty One, and any others whose current play may not be consistent with their current salaries.

For sustained success, teams must remain fluid with respect to escalating salary demands and changing skill sets. I believe this is somewhat what Silent Stan had in mind when he wanted to adapt the New England model as the team standard. The ability to identify and collect talent for your team's football philosophies (i.e., offense, defense, and special teams) while relinquishing talent that has grown too expensive or has dropped in quality too much is vitally important for sustained success, as well as having a stable of talented teachers who can polish & refine incoming & incumbent talent to a very high degree.

You must define a small core of key players and hold onto them while their talent and salaries are manageable. When either talent or salary expectations become too unmanageable, relinquish those players and replace them with new core players. The other players form a support group that would be more fluid than the defined core group.

it may seem like a hard, businesslike way to look at the sports team, especially since most fans tend to fall in love with certain players even when their skill sets have declined considerably. However, for ongoing success, it may be the only way for the Land of LaLa to emerge as the new modern day Title Town, USA.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If it comes down to this, I hope the coaches and team can keep their focus together for a Super Bowl run this season. It's a lot to ask for from an essentially rookie QB and the second youngest team in the NFL. They have grown up a lot in the first half of this season and will have to grow up even more to minimize the kind of mistakes that kill games. If we are to lose AD, I would rather he win at least one SB with us. Ditto for Tavon, The Mighty One, and any others who current play may not be consistent with their current salaries.

For sustained success, teams must remain fluid with respect escalating salary demands and changing skill sets. I believe this is somewhat what Silent Stan had in mind when he wanted to adapt the New England model as the team standard. The ability to identify and collect talent for your team's football philosophies (i.e., offense, defense, and special teams) while relinquishing talent that has grown too expensive or has dropped in quality too much is vitally important for sustained success, as well as having a stable of talented teachers who can polish & refine incoming & incumbent talent to a very high degree.

You must define a small core of key players and hold onto them while their talent and salaries are manageable. When either talent or salary expectations become too unmanageable, relinquish those players and replace them with new core players. The other players form a support group that would be more fluid than the defined core group.

it may seem like a hard, businesslike way to look at the sports team, especially since most fans tend to fall in love with certain players even when their skill sets have declined considerably. However, for ongoing success, it may be the only way for the Land of LaLa to emerge as the new modern day Title Town, USA.

jap you would make a successful savy NFL team GM!

jap

Legend
jap you would make a successful savy NFL team GM!

I don't know about that. I can see the grand overall picture, but the nitty-gritty elements of defining O, D, & ST philosophies, finding talent to fit those philosophies, knowing how to polish raw skill sets, how to monitor the rise and fall of those skills sets, how to deal with outliers (e.g., injuries, suspensions, emergency health issues, etc.) is how the guys with the big bucks earn their pay. Football may not be rocket science, but you need serious macro/micro management skills to remain successful over the long haul.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I If we are to lose AD, I would rather he win at least one SB with us. Ditto for Tavon, The Mighty One, and any others whose current play may not be consistent with their current salaries.

I'm OK with that..

A Hall of Fame Player like AD has to be part of the "core" in your scenario. His impact expands FAR wider than his stats. He makes everyone better on the Dline and the backfield.

ummm, no.
QUMaTGA.png

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First, I agree with those that believe that this trade is never gonna happen. Not for at least 3 more years, anyway.

But I will say this. AD is not a “must have” for this team.

AND he should fetch a multi year king’s ransom in players and/or draft picks from some team.

So, if he can’t be extended for something in the neighborhood of 5 years and $100 million? Well, two 1sts and two 2nds spread over 3 years would be a real fine consolation prize. Especially from a team picking high like Cleveland?

Think about it.

We’ve already got our QB, RB, 3 outstanding WR’s, and a promising TE in Everett. The OL looks great although Whit has some miles on him. The D looks pretty damned good especially if Joyner can be extended.

The cupboard isn’t bare. Far from it. Our own premium picks and hypothetical premium picks gained from an AD trade should fetch us an LOT, OLB, DT (to replace AD), and CB.

We would be young and loaded just about everywhere. I mean, Pro Bowl or very close to it at almost every key position and for years to come.

I like having a young future HOF player on our team. Hell, I love it. But if AD won’t be sensible, Option B looks pretty good to me, as well.

jap

Legend
AD can be one of the core players if his salary demands are not deemed so excessive that it detracts from the overall team success. If he demands so much dollars or insists on only moderately long salary years just so he can make another megabuck team killing demand 3-4 years down the road, how does that help overall team success? I would love! Aaron "The Beast!" Donald to be an LA fixture, but he may have to exercise control of his agent to do so.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
While you can find TRANSCENDENT defensive players at the top of almost every draft....Finding one like AD will be next to impossible....

It would take two draft picks....one in the 1st...another in the 2nd or 3rd....

But this would really suck.