If Third Down Conversions Are One of The Problems.......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yesterday, one of the main problems I saw on offense was the inability to convert on third downs. I understand the scheme. He has to get rid of the ball quickly, and I saw a lot of underneath routes, and sending out a running back or wide receiver in a flare, and Benny was catching in the second half and almost got a third down or two. Almost.

My question to you guys is, why can we throw the pass to the sticks on more third down conversion attempts so the completion would be the first down. Consistently yesterday, the receivers and backs had to gain yards after the catch to get the first. I am not saying that I know more than you or the coaches, definitely not the case, but why can't we runs curls and passes aimed at the sticks to get that down. Tavon and Stedman are fast enough, I think, and Britt and Cook are big enough.

Does Foles really not have the time for a route to run for two or three more yards before the reception?

fearsomefr

UDFA
Name
JP
In an obvious passing situation the D can dictate more what is happening.
If they are playing a D to prevent that it will be tough, so, it turns into a check down.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It's a variety of things. Defenses obviously are protecting the sticks. Receivers aren't getting open. Foles doesn't have much time or is not going through his progressions. The run game is also a problem, with us being in a lot of 3rd and longs, it's always difficult to convert those.

Overall I think we just need to execute better in every area. Every single area. Our offense as a whole isn't getting it done in every facet of the game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Certain plays take a certain amount of time...To run plays short of the sticks is stupid. Stedmon & Austin must have trouble winning in the time it takes to get 7+ yards...Britt & Cook always seem open....There is no one ANSWER

At the end of the day, Foles needs to make it happen. I suspect he's not totally comfortable with this offense. Going through his progressions is still a problem. And I blame the receivers & Foles...

Again I'll go to a quote:
In the two losses they converted only 4 of 22 third-down plays … and we can make that 4 of 25 if we include three failures on fourth down. The Rams have only 23 first downs in their last two games — the lowest two-game total during Fishers’s four seasons here.
We had a chance to practice converting 3rd downs in PRESEASON...And we were choosing to kick FG's instead...with the #1 offense....Unimaginable why weren't practicing this part of the game....

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, guys. It was just frustrating as hell to watch last night(I had to tape the game), and it looked to me that running plays underneath a third down and eight, or seven is just not getting it done.