IF the Rumored Ramsey Trade is True How Do You Grade the Rams Offseason So Far?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Incomplete, but the lousy compensation for this trade will be a negative on the average.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
When it comes to the combination of owner, GM, capolist, and coach, I will put ours in the top 5 of all of professional sports.

I won't "grade us" now, but rather 3-4 years when their plan is fully engaged.

Have faith that we've got the right people in place.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Positives:

Got the cap under control
Got 4 comp picks
Got another Mundt
Got another 3rd round pick

Negatives:

Cut Floyd and Wagner incurring some 2023 dead money.
Traded Ramsey for a 3rd rd pick and a Mundt, incurring some more dead money

What happens next?
Free agency
The draft
Another trade or 2?

How good the off season is, depends on those last 2-3 and how healthy our injured players recover.

Grading the off season at this point is like grading the draft on the following Monday. It's fun but it's rarely accurate.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Fans value of a player versus reality is very fun to read and watch. (Previous reading a fan suggest a 3rd stringer and a 5th rounder would land a star player or they didn't think it was worth it solved all of my issues with the trade anger here).

I would have preferred to keep him if they didn't get a great trade, but I figured there was a reason.....my brain didn't go to, fire Les or we will be 0-17.......lol.

I mean, we won 5 games with Ramsey playing......it's not like our defense was killing it! With Morris you can have Jags 10 yards off for pennies instead of a multi million dollar star.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Fans value of a player versus reality is very fun to read and watch. (Previous reading a fan suggest a 3rd stringer and a 5th rounder would land a star player or they didn't think it was worth it solved all of my issues with the trade anger here).

I would have preferred to keep him if they didn't get a great trade, but I figured there was a reason.....my brain didn't go to, fire Les or we will be 0-17.......lol.

I mean, we won 5 games with Ramsey playing......it's not like our defense was killing it! With Morris you can have Jags 10 yards off for pennies instead of a multi million dollar star.

I can't blame Ramsey for anything that happened last year, not with Donald, Gaines, A'Shawn Robinson and Fuller missing time, that and having Hollins & Lewis completely flake out on us.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I can't blame Ramsey for anything that happened last year.
Certainly not. But we've seen this movie before. They traded for Watkins, then let him walk. Got Cooks instead. They traded for Peters, then traded him away. Got Ramsey instead. They traded for Fowler, then let him walk. Got Floyd instead. And each time Ramsnation was talking of the coming doom!

Who takes Ramsey's place? Durant? Kendricks? A draft pick? A free agent or trade? Thing is every time we lose somebody "important" all they do is reload and win. So we traded for Miller and didn't replace him. But I'd put more of our failure on astronomical OL injuries than losing VM. And if those guys are such game changers how come none of them, besides Watkins have won a SB since leaving?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Certainly not. But we've seen this movie before. They traded for Watkins, then let him walk. Got Cooks instead. They traded for Peters, then traded him away. Got Ramsey instead. They traded for Fowler, then let him walk. Got Floyd instead. Who takes Ramsey's place? Durant? Kendricks? A draft pick? A free agent or trade? Thing is every time we lose somebody "important" all they do is reload and win. So we traded for Miller and didn't replace him. But I'd put more of our failure on astronomical OL injuries than losing VM. And if those guys are such game changers how come none of them have won a SB since leaving?

No doubt the Rams will rebound from all this, but it won't be during the 2023 season imo. The Rams have gutted our defense, and while it happened a full year before I had earlier anticipated, I'm not all that upset by it, although I do feel the compensation could have been better, even if only somewhat. The Rams are now building for the future, and I expect more personnel changes via trades and cuts, but I believe it will require both 2023 & 2024 to get the job to 90% of completion. After that, our opposition better beware.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Wow. Surprised by all this ying to replicate reaction.

Rams went all in, won a SB. Rams plan was high priced players to deliver. It worked. Rams pushed cap space into the future to make it happen.
McVay won early on with a high powered O (led by a good Oline and innovative play calling) with AD on D.

Rams are trying to duplicate McVay's early success while at the same time solving future draft pick and cap issues.

Imo this is how you run a team.
Why in the fuck does the only one making sense on this thread have to be from Canada ffs!

BTW @CanadaRam, my dad was from Coleman. Alberta.

Just messing with you.

Tano

Legend
LOL Minkah Fitzpatrick? Who was how many years younger and cheaper when the deal was made? No comparison of the trade tbh.
I was only using it for some comparison.

We know that Minkah is younger but we still should have gotten at minimum a first round pick for Ramsey since he is a HOF player who still has a high skill level. And I think he would be a Rod Woodson and the SF player who switched from CB to Safety if he made that move.

Tano

Legend
By the way - my grade is based on the moves "so far"

I will wait for the entire offseason to give a Final Grade

Maybe they can move it up to a D by the end

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Grade?

What's the assignment? Because that's the question you need to ask before giving a grade.

If you think remaining "competitive" is the assignment.. you'll rightly give this offseason a poor grade.

If you think shooting for the Super Bowl is the most important thing, you'll rightly give them a good grade.

The Rams want to be competing for a Super Bowl, or be resetting to be able to compete for a Super Bowl. They aren't happy with "competitive," and, when you accept that, things start to make more sense when it comes to this year's decisions.

Part of that plan is playing with future resources on your roster.. they've used up that flexibility, for the time being, and are resetting their cap space, acquiring more draft capital and will have much more of both next offseason.

The single biggest reason to be at peace with all this? Folks... none of this happens if McVay is going "one year at a time" anymore. No way.
The last year taught him so much about himself and I think the most important thing it taught him is that he's a football coach and he needs to learn how to start enjoying that again. He'll get there.

I, personally, look forward to next season and seeing what they cook up.

Go Rams

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Don't forget about the last time Ramsey was in Miami. Too hungover to play. This might not work out as well and thee Phins think.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was only using it for some comparison.

We know that Minkah is younger but we still should have gotten at minimum a first round pick for Ramsey since he is a HOF player who still has a high skill level. And I think he would be a Rod Woodson and the SF player who switched from CB to Safety if he made that move.
Nobody was giving us a first. If somebody offered a first we would have traded him there no matter what Jalen wanted.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Plus Loyal and I are too old to wait around for the Rams to do a rebuild so us old folks can dislike it all we want
Count me in as one of the OLD Fans!!! I understand the logic but I am also one of the older fans and the SOONER THE BETTER for me!

muggmeister

Rookie
Well, it grades out as shit for this off-season, BUT, the moves already made show up at about $45M so far in cap space for NEXT off-season. If we can move A-Rob and absorb the dead cap this year we will be up to around $60M. No reason not to attempt to move Higbee and Noteboom as of now, we could be looking at another $20M or so in 2024 cap relief. When most teams go into a re-build mode they usually suck for 2-3 years, we could realistically re-shape the majority of this team and be extremely competitive in a 1 year transformation. Rams in 2024!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't forget about the last time Ramsey was in Miami. Too hungover to play. This might not work out as well and thee Phins think.
I think the key for Miami is Howard. If they can get him going removing the top threat then Ramsey will feast on the rest.

But if they end up needing Ramsey to draw the top threats things won't be nearly as smooth for them.

Tano

Legend
Nobody was giving us a first. If somebody offered a first we would have traded him there no matter what Jalen wanted.
That is true but I still wanted a first for Ramsey

Give It To Me Want GIF

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't know where else to put this...
So.. Jourdan is being a little coy about the Stafford stuff. There's some smoke there... it seems like it's probably more generated by another team, but there's smoke.
So.. what's a fit out there that makes sense?

To me.. Atlanta.

His wife is from Georgia.. they both went to college there.. they're just outside of the sweet spot for QBs this year.
Arthur Smith had great success with Tannehill and I think Stafford represents a serious step above Tanny, even now.
Atlanta has the cap space and some interesting weapons and a good run game.

If you were trying to think of scenarios where someone was calling to ask about Stafford.. and Stafford was interested in moving.. this would seem to fit some very specific criteria.

I'm not saying it's going to happen... I'm saying there's SOMETHING going on.. as in conversations. How serious those are? Yet to be seen.

If you're looking for another reason to suspect... well.. Mayfield hasn't signed with anyone yet. Perhaps he's in the loop and will be the replacement.. for now.

Lot of complications because of the cap.. and I don't have all the answers with that. But I think that these are conversations that are very possibly happening right now.