If the rams draft 2nd overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't recall any of the busts we've drafted at OT having the pedigree that Matthews has. He will be a lot closer to OP or Jackie Slater that Alex Barron or Smith.

We still don;t know what will happen with Saffold or the free agent period. Is Saffold really our new ORG where is Jones going to fit next year? How good was Sam going to be with this bunch of rookies and 2nd year guys at WR?

Bradford is going to be the QB and we need to protect him (I don't get the "I'm not sold on him group of fans" 32 TD and 9int projected with no #1WR).

Long Jones Barnes Saffold Matthews

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd like another trade down with the 2nd overall pick.
I happen to believe that we've drafted some very good young talent the last couple years that just needs to marinate for a season or two(along with some tweaking in FA).

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Being English, I know nothing about Clowney (or any of these other guys) but his coach's comments concern me. There have been plenty of examples of players going high in the draft or signing a lucrative free agent deal and then going cold. If he's being accused of not giving 100% by his own coach, there's a risk that he signs his nice big fat NFL contract and thinks he's already made it. Why take that risk when we're already only a good defensive co-ordinator away from having one of the best D lines in the NFL?

There are plenty of other areas that need looking at so I say trade down, get more picks and use the highest of those on a DB. Our secondary is terrible in my view (again, the DC hasn't helped with that either but there are talent issues there as well which I don't think is currently a problem on the D line).

F. Mulder

Starter
Even though there have been mixed results to the date, regarding the trade downs I'd do it again with a fair offer. That said, IF we were in a position to get Mathews I'd be happy. Guys like Barron and Smith were more projects IMO. Barron had all the physical traits that get GMs fired because he lacked desire, consistency, and a long body of work. Smith was similiar. Someone like Mathews has excelled throughout his career and is able to play multiple positions. Now it they trade down and he is gone I understand that but I don't accept the whole first round bust discussion when applied to him.

In some order it needs to be OL/DB. QB will be there in the mid-rounds. In that mix I can see WR/DT/maybe LB but that depends how the staff views what they currently have. If someone like Watkins is their guy then get him if he is there by all means.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I just thought of something crazy and forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but if they did draft Clooney couldn't they play Long at tackle?

I fear that could be a recipe for disaster but I did say crazy.

Alan

Legend
F
. Mulder thinking deja vu all over again:
Even though there have been mixed results to the date, regarding the trade downs I'd do it again with a fair offer. That said, IF we were in a position to get Mathews I'd be happy. Guys like Barron and Smith were more projects IMO. Barron had all the physical traits that get GMs fired because he lacked desire, consistency, and a long body of work. Smith was similiar. Someone like Mathews has excelled throughout his career and is able to play multiple positions. Now it they trade down and he is gone I understand that but I don't accept the whole first round bust discussion when applied to him.

In some order it needs to be OL/DB. QB will be there in the mid-rounds. In that mix I can see WR/DT/maybe LB but that depends how the staff views what they currently have. If someone like Watkins is their guy then get him if he is there by all means.

I haven't looked at any of the potential draftees yet but Mathews sounds quite a bit like Barrett Jones and he can't even crack the starting lineup against players like CW and SS. I like your priorities though.:D

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
unless our need fits with a freak athlete IIMO trading down is always a good policy regardless where you draft ,the value in a capped league is in he second and third round ,I've even at times thought never drafting in the first round could be worthy of near dogmatic subscription

ausmurp

Starter
That's all well and dandy. I just don't believe in "moving on" without having a sure upgrade ready to go. And unproven rookies are never gaurentees, or near gaurenetees to produce right away.

Agree to disagree. There are rookies that are absolute near gaurentees to come in a be stars. Clowney is one of those, which is why he was so highly touted as "the best overall prospect to come out in 10 years" quoted by actual NFL scouts/coaches. Players have had that label tied to their position, Luck was 'the best QB to come out in a while,' but Clowney was labelled 'best prospect,' not tied to his position. Just sayin.

AJ Green, Julio Jones, Patrick Willis, Luke Kuechly, Suh, etc. The list goes on. These guys were 'blue chip' players labelled as instant starters and upgrades over just about anyone in the NFL. Many people, professionals included, would say Clowney belongs in this list.

I'm not advocating to draft Clowney, I don't really want him to be honest. I was just saying I wouldn't be upset if our team went that route and got rid of Chris Long. If that happens, I'm fine with it. And we all should be. I'm on the Sammy Watkins train, and I believe he is also a player that belongs on this list. I think he'd come in and get more receiving yards than anyone else on our team in his rookie season. We haven't had a receiver get 700+ yards receiving since Torry Holt (2009 I believe). This is one hell of a curse, and the only way to break it is to keep drafting WRs until we find one that can produce :)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
If the Rams draft second overall we should throw a superbowl party. We won't call it a superbowl party of course because we don't want our friends (who aren't Rams fans) to make fun of us. But, let's face it guys, we've been dying to throw a superbowl party. So why not just change the name around a little. I mean hell, we could call it a "housewarming" or a "new child is coming so we need diapers party" or a "I'm getting married to that girl that you guys didn't want party".... Regardless, I think it's time for Rams fans to have some fun in life. And to finally roll out the guacamole dip.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
unless our need fits with a freak athlete IIMO trading down is always a good policy regardless where you draft ,the value in a capped league is in he second and third round ,I've even at times thought never drafting in the first round could be worthy of near dogmatic subscription

Disagree. Unless you're getting a RGIII type package, it's not worth it. You don't want to be the team that feels like an idiot for not drafting Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson or Randy Moss when they had the chance.

There are a lot of good players in this league. There aren't many dominant players capable of taking the game over almost week in and week out. That's what Clowney can be. And pairing him up with Quinn and Brockers would give us the potential to have a DL that will be remembered in 50 years like the Fearsome Foursome or the Purple People Eaters...and the scariest part?

Quinn is 23, Brockers is 22 and Clowney is 20. That's amazing. And add Aaron Donald to that group...ooooooh yea, I just popped a foner.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Disagree. Unless you're getting a RGIII type package, it's not worth it. You don't want to be the team that feels like an idiot for not drafting Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson or Randy Moss when they had the chance.

There are a lot of good players in this league. There aren't many dominant players capable of taking the game over almost week in and week out. That's what Clowney can be. And pairing him up with Quinn and Brockers would give us the potential to have a DL that will be remembered in 50 years like the Fearsome Foursome or the Purple People Eaters...and the scariest part?

Quinn is 23, Brockers is 22 and Clowney is 20. That's amazing. And add Aaron Donald to that group...ooooooh yea, I just popped a foner.

Yeah, you don't not draft Clowny. All you have to do is move our RE into a 3 technique. He him put on some weight this off season.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

But jrry those ARE people I'd call "freaks" for whom you stay put

BTW I am warming to the idea of drafting Clowney and possibly trading Chris Long maybe to the Bears,he IMO has always performed at a level I'd expect from a high second round pick

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
But jrry those ARE people I'd call "freaks" for whom you stay put

BTW I am warming to the idea of drafting Clowney and possibly trading Chris Long maybe to the Bears,he IMO has always performed at a level I'd expect from a high second round pick
I'd like this and a O lineman in the first. Db's after that!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
At this point, I say NO to Clowney.
Probably no to Manziel as well.

RamEERS

Pastor
lol no to manziel.... don't want another punk kid getting penalties.. especially taunting.... while on the sideline..

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Agree to disagree. There are rookies that are absolute near gaurentees to come in a be stars. Clowney is one of those, which is why he was so highly touted as "the best overall prospect to come out in 10 years" quoted by actual NFL scouts/coaches. Players have had that label tied to their position, Luck was 'the best QB to come out in a while,' but Clowney was labelled 'best prospect,' not tied to his position. Just sayin.

AJ Green, Julio Jones, Patrick Willis, Luke Kuechly, Suh, etc. The list goes on. These guys were 'blue chip' players labelled as instant starters and upgrades over just about anyone in the NFL. Many people, professionals included, would say Clowney belongs in this list.

I'm not advocating to draft Clowney, I don't really want him to be honest. I was just saying I wouldn't be upset if our team went that route and got rid of Chris Long. If that happens, I'm fine with it. And we all should be. I'm on the Sammy Watkins train, and I believe he is also a player that belongs on this list. I think he'd come in and get more receiving yards than anyone else on our team in his rookie season. We haven't had a receiver get 700+ yards receiving since Torry Holt (2009 I believe). This is one hell of a curse, and the only way to break it is to keep drafting WRs until we find one that can produce :)

Well I'll just say this, the "every 10 years" label is slapped on a player every year. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. It's a crap shoot. Aaron Curry was also the best LB prospect to come out..yeah.

And no, I wouldn't be "fine with it" if Chris Long were to get cut. You don't cut players for the reasons I already mentioned,plus what he is as the vet in charge.

But like you said...agree to disagree.

Oh and I hate talking about the draft in December. So yeah that's it for me on the matter.:wink:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah, you don't not draft Clowny. All you have to do is move our RE into a 3 technique. He him put on some weight this off season.

Our RDE is Quinn. He is the Rams most dynamic defensive player.... he is a speeder I not sure I understand your suggestion of moving the RE Quinn inside with more pounds? Help me out please. We have used our DE's like Hayes & Sims inside but you move your best RDE out of his best post? Chris Long mans the other LDE post. The interior usual DT next to the RE Quinn is Brockers is this the player who want to take off the field with a beefed up DE?? I must be misunderstanding you meaning ???

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Well I'll just say this, the "every 10 years" label is slapped on a player every year. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. It's a crap shoot. Aaron Curry was also the best LB prospect to come out..yeah. :wink:

I always think of Tony Mandarich when these "best prospect of all time" guys get touted...

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Our RDE is Quinn. He is the Rams most dynamic defensive player.... he is a speeder I not sure I understand your suggestion of moving the RE Quinn inside with more pounds? Help me out please. We have used our DE's like Hayes & Sims inside but you move your best RDE out of his best post? Chris Long mans the other LDE post. The interior usual DT next to the RE Quinn is Brockers is this the player who want to take off the field with a beefed up DE?? I must be misunderstanding you meaning ???
That's what I wondering as well. I know a lot of people say they'd trade Long, but I guess it's possible he could play tackle?

I just think they'll trade down and draft someone else if it comes to that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A solid, but not spectacular RT with the no.2 overall pick? Not worth it, IMO, I want a gamechanger that high in the draft.

Dream big, CGI, dream big. :wink:

:lol: :bigup: