If Rams draft a backup QB, he will be...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
With Bortles on board for 2019, my guess is the Rams will draft a qb this April with the hopes of developing him to be the backup in 2020.

Further, my guess is that they’ll draft a qb somewhere in rounds 3-6. The Rams still have some holes to fill, and I can’t see them using up their 1st rounder on a qb (or even a 2nd rounder if there’s a trade).

I’m not a draft guru. However, I bought my Lindy’s draft guide last week, and I do my extensive draft ‘research’ whenever I take a dump. I’ve gotten a few review sessions under my belt already,so to speak.

Based on my professional analysis, I’m wondering if the Rams might consider Brett Rypien as a mid-rounder. He sounds like a McSnead type of pick— Rypien comes from a football family, has a high football IQ, is accurate and makes good decisions, and is a grinder in the film room. I’m thinkin’ the kid from Auburn is out, sounds like he’s come up short in big games.

So, for you draft gurus out there, who do you think the Rams might consider drafting as a backup QB?

In the meantime I’ll get back to my ‘research’.
7D1F97FA-DAF7-4C19-B12A-F118281B0D88.jpeg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
4th round or higher the list is going to be accurate quarterbacks, who are cerebral and team leaders.

1. Jarrett Stidham...Auburn
  2. Kyle Shurmur...Vanderbilt
  3. Jacob Dolegala....Central Connecticut State
  4. Brett Rypien....Boise State
  5. Ethan Stick....North Dakota State
And I will go back to my research as well.
D943_1_374_1200.jpg

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I dunno, my guess is they use the pick for something else and bring back Perez and Allen (who both have a playbook) to have 4 QB's in camp.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I dunno, my guess is they use the pick for something else and bring back Perez and Allen (who both have a playbook) to have 4 QB's in camp.

They have three with Bortles & Allen now and bringing back Perez is always possible, but IMO, I do see them going QB at some point in the draft and as long as he shows progress, keeping him on the roster.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rypien is probably going to go too high for the Rams to consider. For the late round type options I'd go with a guy who has the basic stuff to stretch the field, who might have something with some pro teaching and reps. Manny Wilkins is my late round huckleberry at QB.

Ok now off to do some "research."

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
...Wearing sweat pants on Sundays.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...Wearing sweat pants on Sundays.

Likely. He'll be a 3rd stringer in 2019.

Thing is - the Rams have Bortles for only one season, then he'll be trying to win a starting position somewhere. They are unlikely to get another backup with some success as a starter whose salary is being paid by another team. To sign a decent vet backup normally costs as much as a mid level starter at many positions. Or the Rams can draft somebody, and try to develop them, so the Rams can have a cheap backup from 2020 to 2022, maybe get a comp pick for him after that. But I'd much rather the team not draft somebody and immediately have him be the backup - if he doesn't work out, the Rams could be screwed in 2020. Let the Rams develop a kid that McVay likes for a year. Depth is important in the NFL.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Likely. He'll be a 3rd stringer in 2019.

Thing is - the Rams have Bortles for only one season, then he'll be trying to win a starting position somewhere. They are unlikely to get another backup with some success as a starter whose salary is being paid by another team. To sign a decent vet backup normally costs as much as a mid level starter at many positions. Or the Rams can draft somebody, and try to develop them, so the Rams can have a cheap backup from 2020 to 2022, maybe get a comp pick for him after that. But I'd much rather the team not draft somebody and immediately have him be the backup - if he doesn't work out, the Rams could be screwed in 2020. Let the Rams develop a kid that McVay likes for a year. Depth is important in the NFL.
Exactly. Given the Rams salary cap constraints in 2020, after Bortles leaves, I imagine they wouldn’t want to invest 5 to 8 M in annual salary for a veteran backup.

Better to draft a mid-round pick in 2019 and develop him for 2020. I bet there’s a QB they like in round 3 or 4.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Exactly. Given the Rams salary cap constraints next year, I imagine they wouldn’t want to invest 5 to 8 M in annual salary for a veteran backup.

Better to draft a mid-round pick this year and develop him. I bet there’s a QB they like in round 3 or 4.

Dunno why, but Easton Stick keeps staying with me. He was the QB who actually played most of the year when Wentz went down and when it comes to who was the best Bison QB of all time, it's not Wentz or is immediate predecessor Brock Jensen... it's Easton Stick.

So, if we're to get a backup, it'd be pretty poetic to not only have the better of the two in Goff, but also the better Bison QB in Stick...LOL.

What little I watched of him I REALLY, REALLY liked. Much more so than Wentz who I saw mostly as a better fit for Fisher's completely crap offense, but not the better than Goff with the right coaching.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I don't see them drafting a QB this year. They may invite some UDFA to camp but using a draft pick this year would be a waste. I still want to see more of Allen, he was pretty good when with the Razorbacks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't see them drafting a QB this year. They may invite some UDFA to camp but using a draft pick this year would be a waste. I still want to see more of Allen, he was pretty good when with the Razorbacks.

I think the late round types are in play, like rounds 5-7. Problem is teams always elevate QBs a bit, so I'm sure they have a few guys in mind and we'll see which is there when the opportunity presents itself.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the Draft guru's have him as a seventh rounder, fits just what the Rams need this year
train

Well, ideally he'd be on the team for more than one season :)

I wouldn't mind the Rams taking somebody sooner, so long as it's somebody that McVay really likes.

I think earlier is more likely if the Rams trade down from their first. Obviously the Rams won't get a first tier prospect - it'd be a waste of resources - but somebody who the Rams had good faith in, and who could hurt other teams with the Rams receiving corps would be nice.

nighttrain

Legend
Well, ideally he'd be on the team for more than one season :)

I wouldn't mind the Rams taking somebody sooner, so long as it's somebody that McVay really likes.

I think earlier is more likely if the Rams trade down from their first. Obviously the Rams won't get a first tier prospect - it'd be a waste of resources - but somebody who the Rams had good faith in, and who could hurt other teams with the Rams receiving corps would be nice.
Currently that someone is Bortles, draft Easton this year and give him the proper tutelage and he is Goff's backup for the next few years
train

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude has wheels for sure
train
Easton Stick's 40 time::4.62
Johnny Manziel's 40 time: 4.68

I got wheels and ALL of the intangibles! ~ Johnny M.
That's what I'm talkin' about! ~jrry32