If Gurley goes....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Would anyone else be interested in Melvin Gordon? I admit to be a huge Badger fan, but I really think he would fit in very well here and may come at a relative bargain given the current market for backs. At 26, he may be willing to take a shorter-term deal in hopes of hitting when the cap goes up in a couple of years.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No thanks. Better to get a young running back in the draft than lose a compensatory pick on Gordon.

Paydirt

UDFA
absolutely ....... wanted to trade for em' last year, when he was holding out. Would be a perfect fit IMO !

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
No, if Gurley is gone, we will be forced to rely on Henderson. If we have any money, it needs to go elsewhere.

AlphaRam

Rookie
Like Le’veon Bell, Gordon is a prime example of how replaceable running backs are. Tying big money up into them is a waste of cap, and sets your team back further than investing that percentage in any other position. And the next year they can fall right off a cliff. It’s better in my opinion to invest in a guy in the first few rounds than it is to sink 45 million over four years.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'd sign him in a heartbeat if we had the cap space.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
The potential landing spots for Gordon have almost all been filled, assuming that Gurley takes another one away, Gordon could be looking at signing for significantly less than people realize.

He seems to make more sense for a team that won't lose a compensatory pick to sign him, but I'll bet a team could structure his deal in a way that gets his average salary down around $6M a year, which is interestingly what Ekeler signed for.

If he decides to wait out the process to see if a team is more desperate after the draft, he could also be signed without impacting comp picks.

Gordon passing up on the Chargers offer last year is looking worse and worse by the day.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Melvin Gordon would be the only RB that could replace Gurley right away IMO and cushion the blow we would take. See alot of people saying rb's are replaceable or we can find one in the draft. How'd that work out last season?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes!! Can be had for about 7.5 million right now and fits the system.

fearsomefour

Legend
Hard pass.
He has only averaged over 4 YPC once.
Only broken 1,000 yards rushing once.
He’s a good receiver but part of that is Rivers checks down a lot.
He is average and arrogant.
Hell Fing no.
He’s had one really good year.
Frankly given as many carries most of his years could be duplicated by Malcolm Brown.....including the missed games.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Did a quick check of Tampa cap, looks like they are at 48 million before signing Brady, who is expected to get 30 million. That takes them down to 18 million of open space, believe Gurley would be a 12 million cap hit if traded to them. Not sure what Tampas needs are, but not much space left for them if they trade for Gurley.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No to Gordon. We should never pay a RB top dollar again after this.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Our RB depth chart looks pretty thin without Gurley.

Have to replace him with somebody.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Like Le’veon Bell, Gordon is a prime example of how replaceable running backs are. Tying big money up into them is a waste of cap, and sets your team back further than investing that percentage in any other position. And the next year they can fall right off a cliff. It’s better in my opinion to invest in a guy in the first few rounds than it is to sink 45 million over four years.

Maybe. Steelers offense was a lot better with Bell than it has been without him.

Gordon was replaceable, as long as Phil Rivers was their QB. Now the Chargers are without both of them.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would absolutely welcome MG.
Big, fast, strong and a good blocker.
He also has had the misfortune of having to play behind The Chargers poor oline.

Definitely a yes for me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I will never again support paying a RB big money. Doing that is a bad model. But that said if he will take a cheap one year I would sign him.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A couple of my own thoughts after reading a few replies.

1. I don't think Gordon is getting "big money" from anyone at this juncture. Depending on how things are structured, I see 6.5-7 mil as his ceiling in the current FA market. Flood the supply with Swift, Gordon, and a number of others from the draft and I think it's fair to say it goes down further.

2. After thinking more about the loss of a compensatory pick, I am on the "not now" wagon. I don't think we want to give up a 3rd/4th round pick for a short-term RB signing at this juncture. To this end, I think MadGoat hit it....if he's available after the draft and the loss of the comp pick goes away, there may be value there.

3. We will need someone. Hopefully we don't have to waste draft capital on the replacement given our other needs.

Thanks