If given the option, should we start with the ball on offense... as opposed to defer?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Personally... I have always preferred to start on defense. Settle in, yada yada. Start with the ball 2nd half.

But... with a defense like ours, can we take better control of games, getting a lead first?

This is a dangerous team with a lead. Should we consider ”betting on ourselves offensively with the ball first”... knowing that scoring first..... really let’s the defense pin it’s ears back and take over.

On top of that reason... with limited away crowd noise, the “energy” to settle down at the start of a game is less on the road than normal... so grabbing and setting tone home and on the road is about the same.

Interesting to think about.

Game plan; Get lead. Smash them defensively. Add to the lead. Game over.

Football is so easy.

TexasRam

Legend
So on this recent steak of coin flips were we defering? I would say whatever we were doing that Got us that 34-0 lead at halftime thing, lets keep doing that.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Kick it out back of end zone. Go 3 and out on defense. Grind out a ten minute drive with 12 personnel for 7.

Whether we do that after our first scoring drive of first quarter or start of second half might be irrelevant.

In both scenarios we have the lead if we execute.

But deferring does give a team a chance for back to back scoring possessions at end of half and after halftime.. Could be the difference in a close game.

This is like the equivalent of white going first in chess to me.

Defer and take the advantage if you win the toss.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Perhaps so. It makes sense.

But one small ingredient in the Rams crazy 34-0 when leading at half-time stat is the teams uncanny ability to win coin tosses and receive the ball to start the second half.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Defer. It works on Madden, and we all know how Madden translates to real life, so....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is like the equivalent of white going first in chess to me.

How much does white going first, dictate the strategy of near term subsequent moves? Does it really throw you off, no matter what move is chosen first there?

Down 7-0 to start a game, has a good chance to set the tone for a football game.

(y)

Q729

Legend
Nope. I agree with deferring. Get the potential back-to-back score. At the same time you prevent the other team from potentially taking 14 points off that lead you may have built up by taking the ball in the first place. Plus sometimes it takes a while to get a feel for things, so you just squandered your guaranteed possession on that. Save it for when adjustments can be made.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great thread, I've been thinking this too. The defensive adjustments in the second half are so great it actually makes sense to limit their first half possessions. But the offense also tends to struggle more out of halftime, and I love scoring first. We've forced a bunch of three and outs though too. For reference:

We've gotten the ball to start the second half 9 times. Here are the outcomes of those drives:

2 FGs
2 INTs
1 turnover on downs
4 punts

Conversely we've scored opening drive TDs twice and opening drive FG once, have a missed FG and one punt to start the game. Considering how much better our offense seems to be with receiving to start the game, that's what I'd do going forward

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
How much does white going first, dictate the strategy of near term subsequent moves? Does it really throw you off, no matter what move is chosen first there?

Down 7-0 to start a game, has a good chance to set the tone for a football game.

(y)

I guess the experts say, white going first-- given both players play a technically perfect, mistake free game-- should never lose; should always draw or win. They can "dictate" outcome until advantage is taken away via a mistake, as in a wasted move via a "retreat".

I see the dual possession possibility - end of first half and start of second half - as too big an advantage to not accept.

After kick-off - or opening move - there are zillions of possible outcomes... so I guess this is some pretty good "first cup of coffee" psycho babble on my part.

I like the Rams chances opening the second half with the ball with a lead or with a small deficit. I guess it doesn't matter who scores first...(ie. AZ game last week with blown coverage).

Don't get me wrong....I love your original post. Got my brain thinking this morning.

In the end, I think scoring first can be a double edge sword. It means nothing if you don't keep up with the execution for the remainder of the 60 minutes. This team is built well and communicating perfectly, so that might not be an issue. In that case--- getting the ball first could be the equivalent of being white in chess. Execute well out of the gate, and don't make mistakes.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope. I agree with deferring. Get the potential back-to-back score. At the same time you prevent the other team from potentially taking 14 points off that lead you may have built up by taking the ball in the first place. Plus sometimes it takes a while to get a feel for things, so you just squandered your guaranteed possession on that. Save it for when adjustments can be made.

What you speak to... is not having the confidence to bet on yourself (the offense) to score that first possession. Right? And... I totally get that.

I tend to feel that way too. Our offense isn’t consistent enough.

But what if you could reconcile that?

What if you freaking get really weird/creative every first possession and make it your mission to score first!

Bet on being able to do that! Knowing if you do that... it sets you up big time with this D.

Yeah, I can’t say I’m very confident either. But....

fearsomefour

Legend
I always want the call the start the second half.
The main reason is to possibly have the opportunity to possibly score right before the end of the half and then get the ball again to start the second half.

Q729

Legend
What you speak to... is not having the confidence to bet on yourself (the offense) to score that first possession. Right? And... I totally get that.

I tend to feel that way too. Our offense isn’t consistent enough.

But what if you could reconcile that?

What if you freaking get really weird/creative every first possession and make it your mission to score first!

Bet on being able to do that! Knowing if you do that, it sets you up...Big time with this D.

Yeah, I can’t say I’m very confident either. But....
If we can bet on flawless execution of said weird/creative plays every time, it's certainly worth a shot!

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Based on the statistics, Rams offense to start. McVay gets his chance to run scripted plays to figure out the defense. He's a bit slow to adjust, so give him time. Also the defense will potentially be better rested for the second half if the offense sustains drives.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I like scoring first as well, but I think we can do that most of the time after the initial stop by the D. If our D stops them early, we have a chance to get our first offense snap with better field position than the 25. And you still have the chance to get the ball twice in a row after half.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd think that with this good of a defense, the Rams could defer, cause a three and out and get the ball back right away. Its like starting both halves with the ball

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If you have a good offense that wants to start fast I can see why you'd want to start first. Set the tone. But if you're the type of team that likes to get a feel for the defense and adjust during the game I think deferring is better. I feel a lot better when we defer, force a punt and score on our first possession. It feels like we broke the opposing player's serve and have an advantage already.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Based on the statistics, Rams offense to start. McVay gets his chance to run scripted plays to figure out the defense. He's a bit slow to adjust, so give him time. Also the defense will potentially be better rested for the second half if the offense sustains drives.

The rams don't run any scripted plays, there is no script so that shouldn't be a concern.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd prefer the other team win the coin toss and make that mistake that lets the Rams get the kickoff in both halves

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

(y)
I remember Montana's 9ers always started with 7 and it put pressure on the opposing offense to keep up. Our Rams are not that good on offense. Not yet. Maybe not until we have a true deep threat.