If football is really won at the LOS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then our defense should absolutely reek havoc on the NFC west. Seattle, Arizona, and San Francisco all have very shaky offensive lines this season. It's quite possible that all three of them have offensive lines similar to our own. It's a pretty simple equation at this point:

(Arguably) the best defensive line in the league vs three shaky offensive lines should equal domination on the defensive side. Our offense would have to be worst than anemic for us to do any worse than 4-2 in our division, IMO

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Then our defense should absolutely reek havoc on the NFC west. Seattle, Arizona, and San Francisco
It is won on the LOS....but you're assuming that our D-Line is one of the strongest...Matched by our O-Line (The other teams have D-Line too)....So, they have to play a few games first...and dominate for this to take affect....

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is won on the LOS....but you're assuming that our D-Line is one of the strongest...Matched by our O-Line (The other teams have D-Line too)....So, they have to play a few games first...and dominate for this to take affect....
Other teams have defenses, they just don't have a line of our caliber. But yes, our offensive line would have to be much more of a disaster than theirs for us to not prosper

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I thought it was won in the trenches, which is underground...

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm still waiting for the Rams DLine to prove to me that they aren't being overrated........again.:whistle:

And I'm really hoping that Farley doesn't prove to be just another overrated big name like he was in Detroit, IMO.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm still waiting for the Rams DLine to prove to me that they aren't being overrated........again.:whistle:

This so much. Quinn and Donald can be dominant. Chris Long is overrated IMO. He disappears for games at a time and rarely comes up with a timely sack to change the course of a game. Brockers is good, but not amazing. He can still ascend, but I think he's close to what he's gonna be. I actually like a healthy William Hayes over Chris Long. Long is a good player, he's just paid like a great one unfortunately.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The Rams offense needs to give the defense enough time to rest.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
This so much. Quinn and Donald can be dominant. Chris Long is overrated IMO. He disappears for games at a time and rarely comes up with a timely sack to change the course of a game. Brockers is good, but not amazing. He can still ascend, but I think he's close to what he's gonna be. I actually like a healthy William Hayes over Chris Long. Long is a good player, he's just paid like a great one unfortunately.
I think all 4 are great...perhaps elite.

Athos

Legend

Not this again....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Then our defense should absolutely reek havoc on the NFC west. Seattle, Arizona, and San Francisco all have very shaky offensive lines this season. It's quite possible that all three of them have offensive lines similar to our own. It's a pretty simple equation at this point:

(Arguably) the best defensive line in the league vs three shaky offensive lines should equal domination on the defensive side. Our offense would have to be worst than anemic for us to do any worse than 4-2 in our division, IMO
I completely agree! I can't think of any possible reason to disagree!!(y):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well ... when your wrong, your wrong ... JMHO, you need to watch more carefully! Hayes is good, but he's not were near as good as Long!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And I'm really hoping that Farley doesn't prove to be just another overrated big name like he was in Detroit, IMO.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me when the Rams DL was overrated. ;)

No way, Jose.

Hayes is an outstanding run stopper. Much better than Long in that regard. But he offers nowhere near the pass rush ability of Long. That was obvious last year. Perfect rotational DE but he's not a good starting DE like Long.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He cares this much about being labeled as overrated.

cf54ef437d97dab0044ee4bb69ba9b54-img1.jpg

[av]http://soundbible.com/mp3/Wet%20Fart%20Squish-SoundBible.com-332766022.mp3[/av]

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm still waiting for you to tell me when the Rams DL was overrated. ;)

Still waiting?

Never knew I was asked. Go back to Sack City and all the headlines / hype of last offseason. Better yet, even prior to last season after Quinn had his big year. There was so much hype about the Rams DLine when the other DLines in the division were just as good or perhaps even better. Same with the defenses overall for that matter.

No way, Jose.

Hayes is an outstanding run stopper. Much better than Long in that regard. But he offers nowhere near the pass rush ability of Long. That was obvious last year. Perfect rotational DE but he's not a good starting DE like Long.

BTW, I'd have to see William Hayes in the same situation, as last year, not coming off 3 offseason surgeries and having to be slowly worked back into form prior to agreeing with you here.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The Rams offense needs to give the defense enough time to rest.

This is my biggest concern..I didn't see anything in the pre season that says long, sustained drive from the Rams' offense...That puts the defense on the field a lot...The more they're on the field the more tired they get, etc...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I actually like a healthy William Hayes over Chris Long. Long is a good player, he's just paid like a great one unfortunately.
Not this money stuff again. If your only knock on a player is he's making too much money for your liking than he's a pretty good player, because that has nothing to do with the field.

I mean lets be real here, no offense to Hayes. I love his contributions, but there's a reason he's not a starter in this league. The guy started for the Titans once, and even then his best season isn't anywhere close to Long's.

This guy couldn't beat out juggernauts like Dave Ball, who isn't even in the league anymore and Jason Jones, who only just recently managed to find his way into starting again.

Hayes is what he is, a star backup, and a great rotational guy, but don't let him looking good where he's supposed to fool you into thinking he's somehow greater than Long, because nothing supports that. At all.

Stel

Starter
It isn't our D-line I worry about, it is our ability to stop quick the pass plays used to negate a good D-line's pass rush. For 2014, we were 31st in completion percentage allowed (68.1%); 22nd in QB rating allowed, and 23rd in yards allowed per pass attempt. People complain about the Rams' "dink and dunk" passing offense? Our average pass completion was 6.32 yards from the LOS. Our opponents? Their average pass completion was only 5.86 yards from the LOS. They aren't beating us deep, they're moving the chains with quick short passes which tend to negate our pass rush.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still waiting?

Never knew I was asked. Go back to Sack City and all the headlines / hype of last offseason. Better yet, even prior to last season after Quinn had his big year. There was so much hype about the Rams DLine when the other DLines in the division were just as good or perhaps even better. Same with the defenses overall for that matter.

Except both the DL and defense lived up to the hype...except unrealistic expectations that they would break the sack record. Our defense finished top 5 in PPG Allowed and #7 in Points Per Drive Allowed. And you're not about to tell me that the Rams defensive success last year was not due to the DL.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It isn't our D-line I worry about, it is our ability to stop quick the pass plays used to negate a good D-line's pass rush. For 2014, we were 31st in completion percentage allowed (68.1%); 22nd in QB rating allowed, and 23rd in yards allowed per pass attempt. People complain about the Rams' "dink and dunk" passing offense? Our average pass completion was 6.32 yards from the LOS. Our opponents? Their average pass completion was only 5.86 yards from the LOS. They aren't beating us deep, they're moving the chains with quick short passes which tend to negate our pass rush.
Going for the big it on passes over the middle is most definitely a Williams thing.

And you are right about our passing game under Shottenheimer's direction. He always seemed to be going for the bigger plays.

Getting the ball out fast on quick routes is going to be our bread and butter with this young offensive line.