If Fisher Doesn’t Win this Season, Is He on the Hot Seat?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

beej

Rookie
If there is one thing that makes me lose patience with this team more than wins and losses--- it's dumb penalties. They are in a tough division, I get that. Sometimes there are going to be tough games that can affect a win/loss column, but those dumb penalties....that makes me angry.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He may not be on the " Hot Seat" with Kroenke but he sure will be with the Fan's if he doesn't Win (9-7 or more) this Season!!

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't know if he will be on the hot seat or not but when I look at the job he's done so far and then if we were to add in another losing year on top of it then I have to say he doesn't deserve the job. I mean seriously we are talking about half a decade here.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Fisher was hired as the experienced relocation coach? Nobody would do that. :palm:

Fisher was hired because he was an established HC, with years of experience, good reputation, and because Stan believes in the Patriot Way. As much as it makes me sick to type that.

Bottom line; Stan doesn't believe in coaching turnover. He believes in a program.

For now; he's hitched his wagon to Fisher's way.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Fisher was hired as the experienced relocation coach? Nobody would do that. :palm:

Fisher was hired because he was an established HC, with years of experience, good reputation, and because Stan believes in the Patriot Way. As much as it makes me sick to type that.

Bottom line; Stan doesn't believe in coaching turnover. He believes in a program.

For now; he's hitched his wagon to Fisher's way.

Two questions for you on this:
1. where is this belief that he doesn't believe in coaching turnover from... coaches that do not produce (playoffs) by the fourth year are cut historically on both his NBA and NHL teams.
2.what is this Patriots way thing as far as coaches? ...yes they have the same coach since 2000...but that is with 4 SB, and hasn't gone more than 1 year without seeing the playoffs (3 time in since 2000). That really isn't a test of a teams patience with coaches...prior to BB Pete Carroll lost his job by going 8-8 having made the playoffs the year before....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This thread is headed towards being merged into the relocation sticky thread where it belongs. :whistle:

3g0o6KM.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Two questions for you on this:
1. where is this belief that he doesn't believe in coaching turnover from... coaches that do not produce (playoffs) by the fourth year are cut historically on both his NBA and NHL teams.
2.what is this Patriots way thing as far as coaches? ...yes they have the same coach since 2000...but that is with 4 SB, and hasn't gone more than 1 year without seeing the playoffs (3 time in since 2000). That really isn't a test of a teams patience with coaches...prior to BB Pete Carroll lost his job by going 8-8 having made the playoffs the year before....

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_2e3436b4-c9d1-5d04-8f18-5bab6b69929c.html

He [Kroenke] is an ardent devotee of Bill Belichick and the way Darth Patriot has crafted New England into the NFL's signature championship organization. And if you want to know what the Kroenke Way is going to look like at Rams Park, you'd be wise to go read a wonderful book by former Boston Globe columnist Michael Holley called "War Room: The Legacy of Bill Belichick and the Art of Building the Perfect Team."

Kroenke referenced the book repeatedly Monday afternoon.

"When you read the book, it describes a wonderful (business culture)," Kroenke said. "I felt very comfortable when I read the book when (Holley) talked about a guy like Belichick. He had a plan. (The Patriots) have a way of operating up there that wasn't dissimilar to the way we run the (Denver Nuggets). At the end of the day, everyone knew Belichick was kind of The Guy, but the owner still had his input."

What did Kroenke glean from studying Belichick and the Patriots?

First and foremost, someone must hold final authority and be the undisputed man everyone knows is in charge of things. In the new Rams Way, Kroenke promises there will be no gray areas, no uncertainties about accountability, no vagueness about who is setting the overall organizational tone or the philosophy of how everything will be done around here.

"We will have someone who is in charge of personnel, and they will be clearly in charge of personnel and they will be responsible," Kroenke said. "And hopefully they will be very bright. And they may be young or they may be seasoned, and we already have several people in mind.

"The (head) coach? We'd like the coach to coach."

What does that mean? If you follow the Patriots' model, it means a lot more than the coach being the coach. If the head coach is a veteran with a proven track record — and Kroenke thinks he is the one most qualified to set the tone for how the organization will be run — he will be given that authority. But he won't be dominating the war room, pretending to be a personnel expert.

He will do a lot of what Belichick does, which is to lay out in very specific terms the sort of players he believes will help him win, give his personnel people those very clear criteria, then hold them accountable to find them. And if they don't come up with future Pro Bowlers and immediate impact players, they will be fired and someone else will be hired to do a better job.

And when Kroenke has hired both men and determined who is going to be in charge, the rest of the new organization had better understand that only one guy will be steering the ship and everyone else will be manning the oars.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_2e3436b4-c9d1-5d04-8f18-5bab6b69929c.html

He [Kroenke] is an ardent devotee of Bill Belichick and the way Darth Patriot has crafted New England into the NFL's signature championship organization. And if you want to know what the Kroenke Way is going to look like at Rams Park, you'd be wise to go read a wonderful book by former Boston Globe columnist Michael Holley called "War Room: The Legacy of Bill Belichick and the Art of Building the Perfect Team."

Kroenke referenced the book repeatedly Monday afternoon.

"When you read the book, it describes a wonderful (business culture)," Kroenke said. "I felt very comfortable when I read the book when (Holley) talked about a guy like Belichick. He had a plan. (The Patriots) have a way of operating up there that wasn't dissimilar to the way we run the (Denver Nuggets). At the end of the day, everyone knew Belichick was kind of The Guy, but the owner still had his input."

What did Kroenke glean from studying Belichick and the Patriots?

First and foremost, someone must hold final authority and be the undisputed man everyone knows is in charge of things. In the new Rams Way, Kroenke promises there will be no gray areas, no uncertainties about accountability, no vagueness about who is setting the overall organizational tone or the philosophy of how everything will be done around here.

"We will have someone who is in charge of personnel, and they will be clearly in charge of personnel and they will be responsible," Kroenke said. "And hopefully they will be very bright. And they may be young or they may be seasoned, and we already have several people in mind.

"The (head) coach? We'd like the coach to coach."

What does that mean? If you follow the Patriots' model, it means a lot more than the coach being the coach. If the head coach is a veteran with a proven track record — and Kroenke thinks he is the one most qualified to set the tone for how the organization will be run — he will be given that authority. But he won't be dominating the war room, pretending to be a personnel expert.

He will do a lot of what Belichick does, which is to lay out in very specific terms the sort of players he believes will help him win, give his personnel people those very clear criteria, then hold them accountable to find them. And if they don't come up with future Pro Bowlers and immediate impact players, they will be fired and someone else will be hired to do a better job.

And when Kroenke has hired both men and determined who is going to be in charge, the rest of the new organization had better understand that only one guy will be steering the ship and everyone else will be manning the oars.

Nothing in there says anything about keeping coaches for long periods of losing...in fact it almost implies the opposite (considering the rules for GM one would assume that is consistent across the board). Also in many ways based on this the Rams are not doing the Patriots way such as JF being very involved in the draft and war room. The generic "Everyone knows their role" and "someone must hold final authority" can be said about a lot of organizations. Now I haven't read the book so I assume it has much deeper details...but Kronke is repeating cliches. Also if his teams are run in the Patriot way then either he isn't doing it right or it doesn't work in all cases because his NBA and NHL teams are not doing great.

sorry not trying to rail on you - just this "patriot way" I always hear about - it seems to change definitions constantly to match whatever the speaker wants. It (assuming it is truly defined) never seems to transfer (consider how many teams in various sports have "tried" it) and I would argue a system that has never been tested by a downturn isn't proven to work in all cases such as a rebuild. I do give the pats credit...they are good about cutting high cost guys at the right time, are good about getting hungry veterans with something left in the tank, and good at finding new ways to bend the rules. I give BB credit also for being willing to change philosophy to maintain winning...started out winning with D now a premier O and an average D so he obviously is willing to change to match what he has instead of trying to change the personnel to match philosophy. Of course having an arguably top 5 QB of all time has also probably helped. (I feel dirty writing all this).

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I don't know about other coaches but here is one example:

from WIKI: Tom Landry
In 1960, he became the first head coach of the Dallas Cowboys and stayed for 29 seasons (1960–88). The Cowboys started with difficulties, recording an 0–11–1 record during their first season, with five or fewer wins in each of their next four. Despite this early futility, in 1964, Landry was given a 10-year extension by owner Clint Murchison Jr. It would prove to be a wise move, as Landry's hard work and determination paid off, and the Cowboys improved to a 7–7 record in 1965.
Fisher is no Landry
Fisher is in the hot seat now. Another losing season and he is gone. But hopefully this season is the one were the Rams breakout in a big way.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm on the fence regarding Fisher.

There are many things about his philosophies that I admire.

But there are also some things he does or doesn't do that make me crazy. And his career W/L record gives me pause, too.

But Snead is another matter. He isn't going anywhere if Kroenke and Demoff are even halfway paying attention. And you know they're both paying close attention, no doubt.

Firing Snead (if Fisher is fired) would be stupid. Georgia Frontiere stupid.

Snead would be unemployed for maybe only 15 minutes. We struck gold with Snead.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I say he is fine unless the team absolutely crumbles. Stability is key. We have some good pieces. Don't let it go to waste because you want to scrap one coach

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
IMO Kroenke wanted someone with experience after the last few debacles with younger coaches (Linehan,Haslett, Spags), and there wasn't many options out there that met that criteria then.

Or give a coach a $35 million deal over 5 years.

iced

Or give a coach a $35 million deal over 5 years.

not sure what this means? seems more likely to me that's his price range - and we were competing with the dolphins.

The year the titans let him go he walked away with $8 million when he was due $9.6 ($5.6 in salary and $4 million in bonus)

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Sorry to get off-subject, but how much certainty is there in the Rams relocation?

rdw

Pro Bowler
I say he is fine unless the team absolutely crumbles. Stability is key. We have some good pieces. Don't let it go to waste because you want to scrap one coach
I for one would be sickened to go back to the coaching job turnstile. Some want coach Fisher gone and I just have to say be careful what you wish for. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
not sure what this means? seems more likely to me that's his price range - and we were competing with the dolphins.

The year the titans let him go he walked away with $8 million when he was due $9.6 ($5.6 in salary and $4 million in bonus)

I was just adding to your post that you don't give a coach that high an amount if he was a "experienced for a move" coach. Or even all the high money contracts to FAs or resigning Robert Quinn.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
You can tell by the moves being made this year that Snead and Fisher are tired of having all of their eggs in one basket. That is why they are loading up on QBs and RBs.
This should make the team a more consistent winner and they will challenge for the playoffs from now one.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Only way I see the Rams having a sub .500 record this season is because of injuries. If Sam wasn't hurt then the last two seasons are very different and likely this thread isn't even created. If injuries happen again that hinder the season in a major way then I think he is fine. This team has too much talent. Healthy qb and oline and this team is in the playoffs.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know how the relo would affect Fisher's security... and, of course, the relo isn't a sure thing by any means.

So, I'll just look at progress made since Fisher arrived.

Of course, the easist thing to look at is the record. By that meansure, he's regressing.

But, of course, there's more to it than the record.

To me, the inconsistency and lack of discipline remain. And that's on the coaches IMO.

I have no idea what 2015 will turn out to be... but, if the team remains inconsistent and lack-luster, there's a pretty good possibility they'll remain at 6-10 or possibly go backward.

If that happens, Fisher needs to go immediately, IMO.