If college football season doesn’t happen, NFL likely will play on Saturdays

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Bad news: There may be no college football on Saturdays this year.

Good news: There may be NFL football on Saturdays this year.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL likely will move games from Sundays to Saturday, if college football doesn’t proceed this season. It’s unclear whether the games would be broadcast, streamed, or distributed on a pay-per-view basis, but the league likely would backfill the vacant Saturday windows with NFL content.

The easiest approach would be to treat each Saturday like the late-season tripleheader the league staged in 2019, with a game at 1:00 p.m., 4:30 p.m., and 8:15 p.m. ET. That would trim the Sunday slate by three games each week.

There’s another wrinkle that would have to be addressed, quickly. The league would need a one-year dispensation from the broadcast antitrust exemption, which allows the NFL to sell TV rights in a league-wide bundle but prevents the NFL from televising games on Friday or Saturday from Labor Day through early December.

Regardless, with college football teetering on the brink and the NFL confident that its games will be played, 2020 could result in four days of pro football every week: Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They should just play college football in the spring and use the NFL as a blueprint for how to handle or how to not handle.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we have a full season, of Saturday and Sunday games, I might gain 50lbs...

tenor.gif

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Bad news: There may be no college football on Saturdays this year.

Good news: There may be NFL football on Saturdays this year.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL likely will move games from Sundays to Saturday, if college football doesn’t proceed this season. It’s unclear whether the games would be broadcast, streamed, or distributed on a pay-per-view basis, but the league likely would backfill the vacant Saturday windows with NFL content.

The easiest approach would be to treat each Saturday like the late-season tripleheader the league staged in 2019, with a game at 1:00 p.m., 4:30 p.m., and 8:15 p.m. ET. That would trim the Sunday slate by three games each week.

There’s another wrinkle that would have to be addressed, quickly. The league would need a one-year dispensation from the broadcast antitrust exemption, which allows the NFL to sell TV rights in a league-wide bundle but prevents the NFL from televising games on Friday or Saturday from Labor Day through early December.

Regardless, with college football teetering on the brink and the NFL confident that its games will be played, 2020 could result in four days of pro football every week: Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

im guessing moving NFL to Saturday in this scenario is not going to happen

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

tenor.gif

If this happens, I'm gonna love that thought on Saturday night "oh shit, I don't have to work tomorrow and there's more football!"

Give me all the football!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

tenor.gif

Nah, workout during the games, that's what I do. Treadmill, bike, weights all in my Den because I don't call it a man cave for obvious reasons.

1596993931028.png

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I would love it. Saturday games drink (stress release). Sunday games work out (stress release).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great Setup!!! I am totally jealous!!!

Being honest I don't workout during Ram games, too focused on the game, but watching maybe that team from Washington playing the New York football Giants, it's easy to get a great workout in.

oldnotdead

Legend
More and more colleges are opting for a Spring season. This would totally change the NFL OTA and draft. The NFL would love Saturday games because it increases their TV revenue. Games that were slotted for regional coverage will now be national coverage so the NFL gets paid more. Increased revenue means a higher cap. That's why I've always believed the cap would be at least $180M - $185M next year if they play a whole season. Look at how many games that is if they play 4 national coverage games each weekend. That's a whole lot of $$.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
More and more colleges are opting for a Spring season. This would totally change the NFL OTA and draft. The NFL would love Saturday games because it increases their TV revenue. Games that were slotted for regional coverage will now be national coverage so the NFL gets paid more. Increased revenue means a higher cap. That's why I've always believed the cap would be at least $180M - $185M next year if they play a whole season. Look at how many games that is if they play 4 national coverage games each weekend. That's a whole lot of $$.

Ehh, maybe.

Spring doesn't mean March - May/June. It means January - March. It's probably gonna be fewer games than 13 or 14.

The draft can be delayed until mid-late May. Then you'll have OTAs right after (assuming they have that next year). So they'll have most of June and July off, before camp hits.

If preseason is again cancelled next year, it will give everyone more time off to boot.