Identity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I know a few posters besides myself had mentioned it before.

What is this team's identity?

Well.. the one that's willing to go jumbo to get some positive down and distance situations has won two in a row, the second despite a shit ton of adversity. It's one that has re-integrated play-action and moving the pocket.

On defense.. it's primarily a bend don't break pass D, but it's mixing in more coverages as the season goes on. It's also developing a rooking ILB. One thing for sure.. it's TOUGH AS HELL up front in the run and pass game.

I hope McVay looks at these wins and sees a path forward for this team with what they've learned and accomplished the last two weeks heavily mixed in to anything they do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope that this is a sign that McVay has turned a corner and is beginning to see the value in flexibility. Doing the same thing every week and stating that they were just missing plays by a little wasn't cutting it. The relying on everything being perfect each week was lunacy, especially with a new QB and lots of key injuries. He needed to adapt in many games since the middle of 2018, and we are finally seeing a wholesale commitment to doing so.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope that this is a sign that McVay has turned a corner and is beginning to see the value in flexibility. Doing the same thing every week and stating that they were just missing plays by a little wasn't cutting it. The relying on everything being perfect each week was lunacy, especially with a new QB and lots of key injuries. He needed to adapt in many games since the middle of 2018, and we are finally seeing a wholesale commitment to doing so.
But he's been *forced* into that in some ways the last couple of weeks.... and that's what concerns me. That he won't think these performances really mean he should tweak his approach.

Let's hope it does.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
But he's been *forced* into that in some ways the last couple of weeks.... and that's what concerns me. That he won't think these performances really mean he should tweak his approach.

Let's hope it does.
I wonder if his style of being in charge makes assistance fearful of telling him he needs to change things. It seems McVay could use a veteran coach to keep him on the right path.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Fuck "Identity". Just win baby!

BTW I believe we finally have found something Bobby Evans is good at, being and extra Offensive Lineman. He had some good run blocks, so keep going with 6 OL with Michel, who thrives in that type of offense and it makes Stafford and the passing game better.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
i have seen McVay talk about adding on in more than one interview. The injuries they’ve suffered and getting Stafford integrated have surely slowed the development. I see growth and don’t think it is accidental. They are coming together at the right time of year in spite of the challenges.

Ellard80

Legend
Dunno.... I saw some of the same plays I've seen all year.

We won because the Defensive line was on fire and Stafford was dropping dimes.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dunno.... I saw some of the same plays I've seen all year.

We won because the Defensive line was on fire and Stafford was dropping dimes.

Well it goes easy as Ernest Jones coming up with his 3rd Int & 1 was a pick 6.

Matthew Stafford not throwing a pick 6 & stepping up big seems to be the recipe for success.

Ellard80

Legend
Well it goes easy as Ernest Jones coming up with his 3rd Int & 1 was a pick 6.

Matthew Stafford not throwing a pick 6 & stepping up big seems to be the recipe for success.
yeah jones Int was a result of the D-line... Donald hit the arm/ball

The D-line was the reason our defense was able to hold up last night.

TexasRam

Legend
Actually identity is critical.

It’s the roadmap to success. One that is unique to our players and what they do well to win football games vs tough opponents. It also is what not to do (i.e use hendo as a lead back, abandon the run, play soft zone).

The greatest coaches evolve the scheme as needed though. Self scout to avoid predictability.

We have our winning formula. Now just writhe and create within it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he adapts more than folks give him credit for. And frankly, while I love the 6 o-lineman set up, it also is a little infuriating that it was more of an indictment on how bad the TE's are than anything else.
Sure makes @Riverumbbq 's guy Ben Mason, a no brainer addition to the team. Puzzling why they havent gone that route.
Alas... McVay's identity will always revolve around the big play potential and passing. It's never been Shanahan type power running, and it really pissed me off that they kept saying it last night

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fuck knows, but Stafford looked good throwing out of play-action....oh, and winning the turnover battle always helps!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Fuck "Identity". Just win baby!
McVay:

“This was a sign of a mentally tough team,” McVay said. “You talk about identity … I think, really, what it is is figuring out a way to put it all together week in and week out. What that looks like might be changing, but for us to start playing good ball in the month of December, after the month of November that we had, can’t say enough about the leadership of this group.”

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
All about the turnovers.
Well.. that, I absolutely, 100% agree with. Said as much about the 3 game losing streak.
To me, changing what they did on O has helped with that. Playcalls and formations can't fix everything, that's ultimately on the players.. but it helps.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
McVay mentioned it himself after the game.

“This was a sign of a mentally tough team,” McVay said. “You talk about identity … I think, really, what it is is figuring out a way to put it all together week in and week out. What that looks like might be changing, but for us to start playing good ball in the month of December, after the month of November that we had, can’t say enough about the leadership of this group.”

Kinda generic, but I think he see's what needs to be done for this team to be successful. He has to be quicker to adjust in game, but these adjustments he's made over the last 2 weeks gives us more options going fwd.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
McVay:

Son of a....you beat me to it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
yeah jones Int was a result of the D-line... Donald hit the arm/ball

The D-line was the reason our defense was able to hold up last night.

Yep agree, Floyd had a nice INT.Like he said he had to hold onto the ball.

That those TD’s were AD99 arm tackling & the other was E. Jones not being strong enough with his leg strength. A’ Robinson is part of the beef when it comes to goal line & short yardage.

Gaines has been outstanding.Inguess when he chased Aaron Rogers Rogers down it was because of the loss.

Von Miller on a fourth down late dove & wrapped up the RB’s legs to stop him from going forward.

AD99 had one of his best games.Hollins was seen playing inside LB that he was not able to stop the TE/Rb on a passing route.

To not give M. Williams credit for those 2 passes one on one in the end zone though ? I think he was a big part of the defenses success against Arizona. It’s a team effort.