Idea to help Gurley.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
Lets stop running him out of bunched and power formations where he is getting collapsed on.

Lets spread the field and run him out of 4 Wr sets and other formations.

We should be doing this anyway because everyone is loading 8-9 in the box.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I would like to see the other backs get some carries. I know our line vs a loaded box is the real issue, but Benny is shifty enough to get through and Brown could help wear them down. I know Benny was injured but, Gurley ran it 19 times, Tavon 1, Keenum 3. Another back getting caries couldn't hurt at this point.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Honestly I don't think Gurley is seeing the field very well... there are lots of time there are holes to the outside and he is just running up his blockers back.

However giving him some space to work with would be nice...

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Honestly after 4 games even with all the traffic jams he's running into.... Gurley's stride looks a little bit longer and a bit slower. I'm sure several factors everybody has mentioned plays a part but to me his burst/acceleration seems a bit off.

I'm talking about the few runs where he's got an opening and has gotten past the first level.. Seriously his stride appears longer and a little bit slower compared to 2015.

Maybe I'm off base but if you look at some of the few runs where he's not brick walled by 3 or more defenders, his clutch appears to be off timing with his gas pedal..

Maybe its just an illusion but I've watched the replays and his acceleration is not in top form yet.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hopefully the coaches will come out with a new plan... or we just need to throw and keep throwing until they have to back off.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stop letting so many people hit him so quickly? I'm no expert but I think I'm on to something

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Run some HB tosses off tackle or draw play. Sprinkle Cunningham on 1st and 2nd down.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hopefully the coaches will come out with a new plan... or we just need to throw and keep throwing until they have to back off.
I think throwing the Ball more to get the opposing "D" to back off maybe the solution! Passing to Gurley seemed to work well in the Zona game, this helped too!(y);):D

Bruce2980

Starter
Put in a QB that can throw the ball accurately and consistently to any of the 2, 3 or 4 single covered WRs/TEs and make defenses pay 20, 30, 40, 50, and even 60 yards or more, per play, for playing 8 and 9 men in the box. If that happened every time, they'd either decide to get beat by 60 points a game or start putting some guys back in coverage. It's not rocket science, is just about having a QB that can do it BABY.

MFaulk107

The Realness
Good idea. Spread em out n give him some room.
Either that or just push the dts and des do the side! Open the gate's for Gurley!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Put in a QB that can throw the ball accurately and consistently to any of the 2, 3 or 4 single covered WRs/TEs and make defenses pay 20, 30, 40, 50, and even 60 yards or more, per play, for playing 8 and 9 men in the box. If that happened every time, they'd either decide to get beat by 60 points a game or start putting some guys back in coverage. It's not rocket science, is just about having a QB that can do it BABY.
True, but if they aren't running and pass out of the same formation then they know when to stack the box and when not to. I haven't been able to watch many games because of the timing, but it's another consideration.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

This

True, but if they aren't running and pass out of the same formation then they know when to stack the box and when not to. I haven't been able to watch many games because of the timing, but it's another consideration.

And this

Debacled

Starter
Heard on the radio that he has ran it 38 times into an 8 man box and is averaging 2.8 ypc on those runs. The run calls have been anything but creative, that is for sure. The line isn't good enough (aka stacked like with DAL) to overcome those numbers. Keeping the TEs in is just bunching even more guys around the point of attack.

Until the outside threat is good enough its going to continue to be tough sledding for Gurley, and none of it is his fault. If they could spread the stacked box just a bit more it would ease a lot of pressure. The amount of times they are running into those 8 man fronts to me signals either they don't want Keenum optioning, or he isn't recognizing it at the line.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I would think you could get creative and throw a fake screen towards Tavon and be able to leak Gurley and a blocker or two out the back door. I also don't understand how they can't scheme some easy dump off throws with Gurley cutting towards the middle of the field instead of the flat. Any thing you can do to get him 1 on 1 with a LB or S. I also think it's time for a toss jet sweep pass from Tavon to either Britt or Kendricks. Give the D every possible thing to prepare for. Just cause the running game is struggling doesn't mean you can't get Todd some good touches.

Bruce2980

Starter
You mean to tell me that they should try and fool the defense?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't understand why he isn't in there every 3rd down. He looks a gazillion times better than Benny in there.

Also running into a stacked box makes no sense. Fisher wants to impose his will on the opposition but the oline can't stamp his cheques. Watching the run game this season has been a horror show from the get go.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great comments in here. It seems the Rams are determined to keep Tavon lining up at WR this year and have stopped using him in the misdirection/running game as much as they did last season. That may help, but TGII and the OL have to do their parts (obviously) and they have been sub-par thus far.

As other have said.....if they put 8 in the box....the HAS to be one on one or even broken coverage somewhere. The QB needs to keep taking advantage of that. And get better at it as he has the past couple of games.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The offensive line has definitely improved. You can see they're getting push, but there's still a crowd and that's just defenses committing to stopping the run.

Who knows when that changes. The receivers have been taking advantage of that well enough to win games,and Gurley has continued to force the opposition to focus on him.

Who knows, DCs may play the Rams at the LOS all year long as their best strategy.

We don't really have a wide receiver anyone fears. But that doesn't mean they still can't be successful

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
You mean to tell me that they should try and fool the defense?
The point I was trying to make is that just because your paint game is on point doesn't mean the defense can't sell out the run. Besides Tampa run game hasn't done anything. The other two wins are due to the passing game, but still no one respects it. I assume it's because our run/pass formations aren't the same.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Rams ran quite a few plays in preseason out of this formation(except not always in shotgun) and i like it for our personnel. You can move Austin, Gurley and Kendricks around...and this also could allow more room for Gurley to work inside.
275px-Shotgun_tripps.PNG