I would like to pose a philosophical question about AD...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Couple of things I hope to see from AD in ‘19:

A little less focus on his sack total.

And more emphasis on his run D.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love his effort and results. But I do think that sometimes his pursuit of sacks actually has hurt the overall D.

As evidence I offer the playoff run of our overall D this year. No sacks for AD but the run D and scoring D was phenomenal.

Thoughts?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love his effort and results. But I do think that sometimes his pursuit of sacks actually has hurt the overall D.

As evidence I offer the playoff run of our overall D this year. No sacks for AD but the run D and scoring D was phenomenal.

Thoughts?
He was great against the run too and has learned to look out for the run and trap blocks.

I would like to see him get the sack record next year and be a 3x DPOY.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sacks and run game production are not mutually exclusive for a 3T. Associating our problems stuffing the run with him and drawing a parallel to a Super Bowl game where he was limited by a fine OL is a fun exercise for a message board, but the two don't have squat to do with one another.

Draft a big guy who can anchor in at NT when he needs to, who can move well and stay on his feet and play with high energy snap to snap next to AD. Then you'll see something IMO.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would ike to see the best 3tech never change a thing.

What I would like to see is a run stuffer at ILB and some production from our ERs.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sacks and run game production are not mutually exclusive for a 3T. Associating our problems stuffing the run with him and drawing a parallel to a Super Bowl game where he was limited by a fine OL is a fun exercise for a message board, but the two don't have squat to do with one another.

Draft a big guy who can anchor in at NT when he needs to, who can move well and stay on his feet and play with high energy snap to snap next to AD. Then you'll see something IMO.

There’s no denying AD’s greatness, Merlin.

But riddle me this. AD’s sack total was zero in the playoffs, yet the Ram run D became phenomenal. We’re talking about a 3 game sample size. Not big, but not small, either.

Ummmmm...

Do you think that that was a coincidence? I don’t.

All I’m suggesting is that PERHAPS AD was concentrating just a bit too much on that sack record and that opposing O’s took advantage of it, at least at times.

I do love the idea of drafting a stud DL player to replace Suh. Feed the beast, so to speak.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
AD was double and even triple teamed so that by default increases run game production for the rest of the defense. Don't mess with greatness when its working well.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I actually didn't notice this as being much a problem for Donald this season, although in years past he did take himself out of the play a bit too often in my opinion. I mean, it did still happen occasionally in 2018-19 but that's inevitable with any DT that gets after the passer as much as Donald does. Donald is the consummate professional. He is always looking to improve his game and has done so successfully from year to year. 2019-20 should be no different. Which is scary, considering that he is already the best defensive player in the league. I just can't wait to see it. We're watching a revolutionary Hall of Famer before our eyes.

jjab360

Legend
AD is not the problem. His job is to penetrate and draw attention and he is the best in the game at his job.

As for the rest of our defense otoh if they had been motivated like they were in the playoffs, we probably would have had a top 5 D this year, easily.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Our linebackers are the ones that need to learn to stop the run. There were plenty of plays where AD stopped a RB dead in his tracks or reached over and grabbed one while being double covered. Like many have said, his job is to get to the qb and create pressure.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But riddle me this. AD’s sack total was zero in the playoffs, yet the Ram run D became phenomenal. We’re talking about a 3 game sample size. Not big, but not small, either.

Ummmmm...

Do you think that that was a coincidence? I don’t.

You're mixing topics 43. I don't think it's a coincidence, I think you're drawing parallels between two different things. Basically you're insinuating that AD played better run defense in the playoffs and the proof is his lack of sacks. I disagree.

The Rams are playing better run defense due to better play and focus vs the run at most positions, and it started around the time Talib came back. It was a team effort, but if you're looking for the one guy who improved the MOST that would be Suh. Did AD play better vs the run in the playoffs? Yes. But once again that doesn't mean playing good vs the run equals he will be bad in pass rush.

His pass rush stats had much more to do with better pass pro lined up on the other side of the ball. The other team matters too. Patriots have the best pass pro line in the league and were able to mostly neutralize AD. Saints neutralized him in the regular season but he made some plays vs them in the playoffs, it's not just about sacks the most important factor is actually pressures.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don't know. If Donald doesn't get to Mahomes in the KC game I doubt we win. If he doesn't put Rodgers on the ground at the end of the Packer game we might not win. If not for 3 sacks against Russell Wilson or his sacks of Matt Stafford......it goes on.

What we need is not to be so hopelessly reliant on Donald to make a big play. If he's guilty at times of trying to do too much, it's because our pass rush began and ended with him.

Work on adding playmakers to this defense and draw some of those double teams off him.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Opposing coaches: "We're not gonna let AD beat us."

...as their run game gets continuously stuffed.

Loved the run defense over the playoffs, been waiting for that switch to turn on all year. Want some more of that next season!

Psycho_X

Legend
The playoffs showed how dominate our defense can be when the rest of the d-line picks up their game and takes advantage of the double/triple teams AD gets. WE just need to find players that can do that for most of the season as well.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

Thoughts?

I get the OP. Hypothetically. If the O anticipated Donald rushing, but he stayed back to plug the run it would confuse the O...I can see this being effective..

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
He’s taking up atleast 2 blockers every play, sometimes 3. We just need a better linebackers. It’d be a dream to have CJ Mosley in the middle. Barron has no clue how to use his hands to shed blocks. He literally just puts his head down and runs into blockers.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I wouldnt change a thing about his game.
Isnt he double teamed 70% of his snaps? We all know he is sometimes triple teamed.

It's up to our other players to capitalise on this.
If we are concentrating on anyones sacks then it should have been Suh and Brockers.
Going forward I would like to see Franklin Myers get more snaps.
He looks promising.