I will be watching the DL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Watching the 49ers take our manhood in the trenches in our last matchup was gut wrenching. There is nothing worse for me, as a fan, to know what is coming and the opposing team is able to impose their will regardless. In our last game against the Whiners, it was clear to me they were more physical on the OL.

I will be watching to see if Morris adjusts. Is he going to continue to trot out a front consisting of Leonard, Donald, Gaines, and Miller on first down/likely running downs? Will he adjust by putting more beef up front in those situations at the cost of having Floyd or Miller take a few plays off to assure we don't have it run down our throats?

Personally, I am hoping to see a counter of some sort. It's rather obvious to me we can't hold up at the point of attack against this team with those four in the run game. I am hoping for some added beef situationally and am willing to sacrifice a handful of snaps from Miller/Floyd to not avoid what we have witnessed recently against this team. I just can't stomach a game of such proportions that results in the line of scrimmage being moved back 2-3 yards two seconds after the snap.

Would such an adjustment be too much for our players in terms of scheme? Thoughts?

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
We own the trenches.

One area I am not concerned about.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Watching the 49ers take our manhood in the trenches in our last matchup was gut wrenching. There is nothing worse for me, as a fan, to know what is coming and the opposing team is able to impose their will regardless. In our last game against the Whiners, it was clear to me they were more physical on the OL.

I will be watching to see if Morris adjusts. Is he going to continue to trot out a front consisting of Leonard, Donald, Gaines, and Miller on first down/likely running downs? Will he adjust by putting more beef up front in those situations at the cost of having Floyd or Miller take a few plays off to assure we don't have it run down our throats?

Personally, I am hoping to see a counter of some sort. It's rather obvious to me we can't hold up at the point of attack against this team with those four in the run game. I am hoping for some added beef situationally and am willing to sacrifice a handful of snaps from Miller/Floyd to not avoid what we have witnessed recently against this team. I just can't stomach a game of such proportions that results in the line of scrimmage being moved back 2-3 yards two seconds after the snap.

Would such an adjustment be too much for our players in terms of scheme? Thoughts?
I believe in the last game they did run some 6 man fronts if I recall. 4 DL and Floyd/Von on the edges. I think the problem was more with the LBs and safeties missing or not making tackles. There was a bunch of chances of getting a guy behind or at the line of scrimmage and they missed. You can scheme all you want but players need to make tackles on D. We really need Jones to play if he can.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
We need Reeder on the bench. Gotta get Jones back on the field or add J. Hollins on short yardage plays

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I believe in the last game they did run some 6 man fronts if I recall. 4 DL and Floyd/Von on the edges. I think the problem was more with the LBs and safeties missing or not making tackles. There was a bunch of chances of getting a guy behind or at the line of scrimmage and they missed. You can scheme all you want but players need to make tackles on D. We really need Jones to play if he can.
I think you'd be surprised by looking at the snap counts from the game. I have been wrong many times, but my recollection was of the LOS being moved backward far too often.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
We own the trenches.

One area I am not concerned about.
With all due respect (I enjoy the hell out of your posts), that hasn't been the case against this team.
IMO, the game will be decided in the trenches on both sides of the ball...and hit has been in recent memory.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think you'd be surprised by looking at the snap counts from the game. I have been wrong many times, but my recollection was of the LOS being moved backward far too often.
There is a great article on Athletics that talks about how the Rams used a 6 man front at times in the 2nd game vs the 9ers, you should check it out, it's a good read. No matter what scheme or front they use the players on D still need to tackle. It's the biggest issue in my opinion. They fix that and we win.

SWAdude

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
With all due respect (I enjoy the hell out of your posts), that hasn't been the case against this team.
IMO, the game will be decided in the trenches on both sides of the ball...and hit has been in recent memory.
Yeah I get it and see your way. Please allow me to rephrase.......

We own the trenches.........

unless we loose our way the last quarter.......:laugh1:

I truly believe this game we see the measure of keeping the pedal to the metal.

McVay all but said that in his presser yesterday.

Fisher played the same way. We have got to stop that.

We kind of did that with TB last week. And the mistakes doing so almost cost us.

In McVay I trust. In my heart I feel a team blast coming.

GO RAMS!!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams definitely did NOT own the trenches in our last game with S.F.

Rams PFF grades: Best and worst performers vs. 49ers in Week 18​

Week 18 wasn’t pretty for the Rams. They blew a 17-0 leadand lost to the 49ers in overtime, costing them the No. 2 seed in the NFC.
Fortunately, they still hung on to the NFC West title, but this is no way for the Rams to head into the playoffs. Their grades from Pro Football Focus reflect just how bad of a performance this was, particularly on defense.

The Rams missed 19 tackles as a team and allowed 22 total pressures on offense, which was the story of the game. Here’s how some of the best worst players were graded by PFF in the 27-24 loss.

Top 3 offense​

• TE Tyler Higbee: 89.9
  • WR Cooper Kupp: 87.2
  • QB Matthew Stafford: 81.0
Stafford threw two bad interceptions, but only one of them was truly costly – and it was the one that came in overtime. Otherwise, he was the Rams’ sole source of offense. The running game did nothing and his offensive line couldn’t protect him, putting everything on the quarterback. All things considered, he played well.
Higbee had his best game of the season, catching six passes for 55 yards and two touchdowns. He wasn’t great as a run blocker, but as a receiver, Higbee was outstanding – especially on his second touchdown grab.
As for Kupp, his grade is about what you’d expect. He caught all seven of his targets for 118 yards and a touchdown, which was quite impressive given the circumstances and the tight coverage from two defenders.

Top 3 defense​

• OLB Von Miller: 79.6
  • DE A’Shawn Robinson: 70.7
  • S Jordan Fuller: 69.6
The Rams had two players on defense with grades above 70. That’s it. Miller played relatively well with four pressures and five stops, but he also missed one tackle and wasn’t great as a pass rusher considering the 49ers had a backup in at left tackle.
Robinson impressed with a 70.7 grade despite missing four tackles, which hurt his overall grade considerably. He had two pressures and two stops, with a great strip-sack on an interior rush.
Fuller missed just one tackle and made six total tackles, and he was missed at the end of the game after he suffered an ankle injury. His coverage grade was just 58.1, however.

Bottom 3 offense​

• RB Cam Akers: 51.2
  • OL Joe Noteboom: 48.5
  • RB Sony Michel: 47.1
It’s kind of unfair to put Akers among the Rams’ lowest-graded players considering he’s less than six months removed from tearing his Achilles. But he gained 13 yards on his eight touches, so he wasn’t terribly effective.
Michel wasn’t either, gaining only 49 yards on his 22 touches. He forced just one missed tackle on those touches and only had a couple of runs that went for more than a few yards.
Noteboom played 10 snaps as the sixth offensive lineman and the Rams weren’t very effective on those plays, as evidenced by his poor run-blocking grade of 51.5.

Bottom 3 defense​

• CB Dont’e Deayon: 39.7
  • S Nick Scott: 37.3
  • OLB Leonard Floyd: 31.8
This is where things got ugly. The Rams had six players with a grade below 50, headlined by three key contributors. Deayon allowed 88 yards on five targets (four catches) in coverage and missed two tackles.
Scott didn’t give up a reception but he did miss three tackles and was out of position more than once in the secondary.
Floyd was a complete non-factor in this one, pulling one of his disappearing acts again. He had just one pressure and made one total tackle, also missing a tackle, too. This was his lowest grade of the season.

Other notables​

• LT Andrew Whitworth: 78.6
  • CB Jalen Ramsey: 64.7
  • WR Odell Beckham Jr.: 63.9
  • DT Aaron Donald: 55.5
  • RG Austin Corbett: 52.7
  • NT Greg Gaines: 40.8
The offensive line gave up 22 total pressures, yet none of them were graded below 50, which is shocking. Whitworth led the group with a 78.6 grade, but he didn’t play that well.
Corbett was the lowest-graded starting offensive lineman, allowing seven pressures and one sack. His pass-blocking grade was an atrocious 13.1.
Beckham caught just two passes for 18 yards against the 49ers and was the target on Stafford’s overtime interception, doing little to contribute on offense as he continues to build chemistry with Stafford.
Ramsey wasn’t good nor great, allowing three catches for 88 yards and a touchdown on six targets. The touchdown came on the 49ers’ trick play, while he also gave up a 43-yard reception to Samuel late in the fourth.
Donald was given by far his lowest grade of the season, almost 16 points lower than any other game. He had just two pressures and missed two tackles.
Gaines continues to get very little credit from PFF, though a lower grade was warranted in this game. He missed one tackle and had two stops but didn’t pressure Garoppolo once.

SWAdude

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
The Rams definitely did NOT own the trenches in our last game with S.F.

Rams PFF grades: Best and worst performers vs. 49ers in Week 18​

Week 18 wasn’t pretty for the Rams. They blew a 17-0 leadand lost to the 49ers in overtime, costing them the No. 2 seed in the NFC.
Fortunately, they still hung on to the NFC West title, but this is no way for the Rams to head into the playoffs. Their grades from Pro Football Focus reflect just how bad of a performance this was, particularly on defense.

The Rams missed 19 tackles as a team and allowed 22 total pressures on offense, which was the story of the game. Here’s how some of the best worst players were graded by PFF in the 27-24 loss.

Top 3 offense​

• TE Tyler Higbee: 89.9
  • WR Cooper Kupp: 87.2
  • QB Matthew Stafford: 81.0
Stafford threw two bad interceptions, but only one of them was truly costly – and it was the one that came in overtime. Otherwise, he was the Rams’ sole source of offense. The running game did nothing and his offensive line couldn’t protect him, putting everything on the quarterback. All things considered, he played well.
Higbee had his best game of the season, catching six passes for 55 yards and two touchdowns. He wasn’t great as a run blocker, but as a receiver, Higbee was outstanding – especially on his second touchdown grab.
As for Kupp, his grade is about what you’d expect. He caught all seven of his targets for 118 yards and a touchdown, which was quite impressive given the circumstances and the tight coverage from two defenders.

Top 3 defense​

• OLB Von Miller: 79.6
  • DE A’Shawn Robinson: 70.7
  • S Jordan Fuller: 69.6
The Rams had two players on defense with grades above 70. That’s it. Miller played relatively well with four pressures and five stops, but he also missed one tackle and wasn’t great as a pass rusher considering the 49ers had a backup in at left tackle.
Robinson impressed with a 70.7 grade despite missing four tackles, which hurt his overall grade considerably. He had two pressures and two stops, with a great strip-sack on an interior rush.
Fuller missed just one tackle and made six total tackles, and he was missed at the end of the game after he suffered an ankle injury. His coverage grade was just 58.1, however.

Bottom 3 offense​

• RB Cam Akers: 51.2
  • OL Joe Noteboom: 48.5
  • RB Sony Michel: 47.1
It’s kind of unfair to put Akers among the Rams’ lowest-graded players considering he’s less than six months removed from tearing his Achilles. But he gained 13 yards on his eight touches, so he wasn’t terribly effective.
Michel wasn’t either, gaining only 49 yards on his 22 touches. He forced just one missed tackle on those touches and only had a couple of runs that went for more than a few yards.
Noteboom played 10 snaps as the sixth offensive lineman and the Rams weren’t very effective on those plays, as evidenced by his poor run-blocking grade of 51.5.

Bottom 3 defense​

• CB Dont’e Deayon: 39.7
  • S Nick Scott: 37.3
  • OLB Leonard Floyd: 31.8
This is where things got ugly. The Rams had six players with a grade below 50, headlined by three key contributors. Deayon allowed 88 yards on five targets (four catches) in coverage and missed two tackles.
Scott didn’t give up a reception but he did miss three tackles and was out of position more than once in the secondary.
Floyd was a complete non-factor in this one, pulling one of his disappearing acts again. He had just one pressure and made one total tackle, also missing a tackle, too. This was his lowest grade of the season.

Other notables​

• LT Andrew Whitworth: 78.6
  • CB Jalen Ramsey: 64.7
  • WR Odell Beckham Jr.: 63.9
  • DT Aaron Donald: 55.5
  • RG Austin Corbett: 52.7
  • NT Greg Gaines: 40.8
The offensive line gave up 22 total pressures, yet none of them were graded below 50, which is shocking. Whitworth led the group with a 78.6 grade, but he didn’t play that well.
Corbett was the lowest-graded starting offensive lineman, allowing seven pressures and one sack. His pass-blocking grade was an atrocious 13.1.
Beckham caught just two passes for 18 yards against the 49ers and was the target on Stafford’s overtime interception, doing little to contribute on offense as he continues to build chemistry with Stafford.
Ramsey wasn’t good nor great, allowing three catches for 88 yards and a touchdown on six targets. The touchdown came on the 49ers’ trick play, while he also gave up a 43-yard reception to Samuel late in the fourth.
Donald was given by far his lowest grade of the season, almost 16 points lower than any other game. He had just two pressures and missed two tackles.
Gaines continues to get very little credit from PFF, though a lower grade was warranted in this game. He missed one tackle and had two stops but didn’t pressure Garoppolo once.
Do you have the whiner measures to compare?

SWAdude

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I do not. The above was posted earlier today in the 'Bad Snap' thread.
That snap made my wife leave the room to the backyard. I had to call her in to see the winning the field goal.

I felt like joining her before that but too much personal history leaving too soon.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
SWA,
No disagreement here in terms of our approach. In our last matchup, we were far too eager to end the game as opposed to finishing.

I am simply referring to our ability to control the LOS. They won that battle on both sides of the ball (i.e generating pressure with four on D, dominating our Dl on O) in our last match. I hope there isn't debate on that as it was obvious.

I am simply suggesting we have a plan in the event that reoccurs. Let's not end the game with "we were taken off guard with how they would impact the game with the front" on either side of the ball.

I honestly think the only way we lose is if they have their way in the trenches.

SWAdude

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
SWA,
No disagreement here in terms of our approach. In our last matchup, we were far too eager to end the game as opposed to finishing.

I am simply referring to our ability to control the LOS. They won that battle on both sides of the ball (i.e generating pressure with four on D, dominating our Dl on O) in our last match. I hope there isn't debate on that as it was obvious.

I am simply suggesting we have a plan in the event that reoccurs. Let's not end the game with "we were taken off guard with how they would impact the game with the front" on either side of the ball.

I honestly think the only way we lose is if they have their way in the trenches.
Totally agree.

From my seat I saw we dominated until we didn't.

We were so stout until the end of the half. You could feel the shift.

I personally felt it was about management than ability which surely is just my perspective.

McVay addressed that in his presser yesterday. Which pleased me.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
There is a great article on Athletics that talks about how the Rams used a 6 man front at times in the 2nd game vs the 9ers, you should check it out, it's a good read. No matter what scheme or front they use the players on D still need to tackle. It's the biggest issue in my opinion. They fix that and we win.

The 6 man front imo was a fine idea, although Noteboom only received 10 snaps with it and wasn't really effective as he's better with pass pro than as a run blocker, and this is reflected in his PFF grade for the game. Evans was used in an earlier game as a 6'th OL and also didn't fare all that well, so perhaps Shelton will get a shot at it soon.
jmo.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Morris wants to be a HC again this game with either define him or bury him (IMO).

He has the best D-line in football. He needs to create mismatches and scheme against the inevitable run game Shanahan will cram down the defense mouth.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
week 18 rams vs whiners

1st half running/passing

Rams:
Michel 11 carries 11 yards. Akers 3 carries 3 yards
Stafford 14-17 for 153 yards 2 TDS, 1 sack

7-9 on 3rd down

Whiners:
Mitchell 5 carries 12 yards, Samuel 1 carry -2 yards (that hit by Ramsey)
Crapollo 12-14 for 80 yards, 1 INT, 2 sacks

2-4 on 3rd down

---------------------

Rams had 3 runs for negative yardage in 1st half. Those plus the 1 yard avg by Rams I can see why McVay didn't run it on 3rd and 1 near the end there. If he had been gouging them with the run, sure then run it again! But a whole half running for a 1 yard avg? How many times does that happen for a half? On that 3rd and 1 Stafford was then sacked and many were asking why not run it there? So passing there looks like a bad play call, but more likely just bad execution.

Both teams were stuffing each other's run game. Crapollo was 5-7 for 29 yards, 1 INT, 2 sacks before their final FG drive ending the half.

2nd half running/passing

Rams:

Michel 10 carries 32 yards, Akers 2 carries 0 yards, Kupp 1 carry 18 yards
Stafford 7-14 for 85 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 4 sacks

3-8 on 3rd down

Whiners:

Mitchell 16 carries 73 yards, Samuel 7 carries 47 yards
Crapollo 10-11 for 63 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 sack...... Samuel 1-1 for 24, 1 TD

7-10 on 3rd down

-------------------------------------------------

2nd half it was obvious who won in the trenches vs run. Rams longest run was an end around.

Whiners also won in trenches vs pass.

Rams only scoring drive (key stats): Kupp end around for 18, Stafford 3-3 for 40 yards 1 TD. Facemask penalty on Whiners for 15. Sony middle run for 14.

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
DL snaps for week 18
Gaines-69-99%
Donald-68-97%
Robinson-39-56%
Copeland-8-11%

Doesn't seem that light to me. For context SF ran it 31 times. I think a bigger issue for the DL is gap integrity , both AD and Gaines are good at getting on the backfield.
Problem is if they guess wrong or don't bring the runner down they're creating a huge gap to the 2nd level. Then add poor tackling (on all levels) to the mix. SF has always been pretty good at using our aggression against us.

Last edited: