I was almost more upset with the defense than the offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look, obviously the offense played pathetically. We were never going to win that game. But when you look at a few things, I start getting more angry with the defense:

1. TOP - Niners only held a 5 minute advantage; not significant at all in todays NFL. We've seen teams win a game when they've only possessed the ball for 20 minutes, so I refuse to give the defense a pass because of the ineptness of the offense

2. The first half - even if you were inclined to blame the offense for the defensive failures, it becomes harder to do if you just focus on the first half. The Niners scored 14 points and had over 100 yards rushing. Gabbert converted way too many 3rd downs, which brings me to...

3. 3rd down conversions. For the game they were 8-17. That's elite offensive performance there for the Niners. 8-17 would make them one of the best 3rd down converting teams in the NFL. Considering their personnel, our defense played a TERRIBLE game.

4. No sacks. There are no words to even describe this one.

5. Dropped INTs. Joyner with two and Tree with one, which likely scores for us. Ouch.

6.. And most importantly for me - we've invested FAR more into the defense than the offense. Given their performances relative to the talent/resources put into them....the defense was almost more of a disappointment than the offense. I say almost because obviously you can't do worse than not scoring. But many a game has been won or lost 3-0 or 10-7.

A55VA6

Legend
I thought the defense wasn't great in the 1st half, but got significantly better in the 2nd half.

Idk if it was the up-tempo/no huddle the 49ers were running or what, but we didn't look good. Hoping our defense can sharpen up and hold Seattle to single digits. We might need it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
There's no doubt that the defense laid an egg for most of the game the other night (allegedly they played much better in the 3rd quarter, but I had stopped watching by then).

Still, the defense has had many stellar games in the past few years as well, and they are certainly not the unit that is holding this team back. Overall, I'm not as disappointed in them because, even under Fisher, the defense always seems to bounce back at some point. I might have been more disappointed in them had the offense been moving the ball well and scoring but we still lost a high scoring affair.

Nope, it's still the offense that disappoints me. After what we went through last season, all the hubub about drafting Goff and doing better at converting 3rd downs and scoring more points ... to go out there and perform at levels that could make one wish for last year's offense was a huge disappointment. And it's a huge disappointment that the staff on that side of the ball, as well as the HC, for one reason or another just doesn't seem to get it, especially in a league where the rules are designed to favor the offense. That's the unit that is holding this team back, not the defense.

rdw

Pro Bowler
If the offense did it's part I don't think we'd be talking about the defense much today.