I think we'll keep more UFA than usual!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
The opportunity to live and play football in Los Angeles! Come on! Which NFL player doesn't want that?
Because of this, I have a feeling that we'll keep a lot more UFAs than usual. They will sign with us for a little less money then they normally would, for the privilege of playing ball in L.A.

I mean think about it. Do your best to get inside the mind of Janoris Jenkins. If the Rams were gonna be in St Louis next year, do you REALLY think JJ would stick around? I don't. He wants the lime light. But now he's gotta be thinking "This is Los Angeles, a huge stage. If I leave the team now for some team like the Bills I'll be both cold and get just average notoriety."

As I've said before, the move to Los Angeles is a very big deal, and will help our Rams succeed in many ways. Keeping and receiving free agents being one of them. Go Rams!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It probably has more to do with being so far under the cap right now. No money, no free agents.

LA will be a draw for some players but it won't appeal to everyone, especially if the team sucks. I think the main plan though is to keep their own first and foremost.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know Elmgrove. I'd go as far as to say that as much as 50% of NFL players would desire to play in Los Angeles if they could get the same money they get now on their current team. I think Los Angeles is a HUGE draw regarding keeping players, and getting new ones.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It probably has more to do with being so far under the cap right now. No money, no free agents. LA will be a draw for some players but it won't appeal to everyone, especially if the team sucks. I think the main plan though is to keep their own first and foremost.
Does not California have one seriously high state income tax like 10.3% plus the other high rates ? That would 10% less than what they would get playing for the Buc's, Jags or Dolphins.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Does not California have one seriously high state income tax like 10.3% plus the other high rates ? That would 10% less than what they would get playing for the Buc's, Jags or Dolphins.

It's high.....that's for sure.
We (California) also have the AMT which is the Alternative Minimum Tax, which is if you make a certain amount and the tax is not high enough to suit the toads running California, they will charge you another tax as well. In addition to the 9% or so regular State income Tax. I would think people making the kinds of money the Rams players make, may have to worry about that as well.

All in addition to the other taxes and fees we have.

Q729

Legend
I don't think LA is as big a factor as some make it to be. I think they go either where the money is or where the winning is, regardless of location.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
It's high.....that's for sure.
We (California) also have the AMT which is the Alternative Minimum Tax, which is if you make a certain amount and the tax is not high enough to suit the toads running California, they will charge you another tax as well. In addition to the 9% or so regular State income Tax. I would think people making the kinds of money the Rams players make, may have to worry about that as well.

All in addition to the other taxes and fees we have.
There are like 18 million other people living there , I think some poor NFL football player can handle it as well

Psycho_X

Legend
I think people put way too much stock in the location thing. People come from a lot of different places in life. Personally I wouldn't move to LA unless I was made to. I don't like people, I don't like heat, I like having seasons, I hate traffic with a passion... seriously I would have a melt down having to deal with LA traffic, and the tax thing has been mentioned. And I'm not just saying that because I'm from near St. Louis. If I had a choice though I would not want to live in LA if everything was equal. Now someone like Jenkins yes I'm sure he'll love to be in LA. Seems like his kind of town. Phillip Rivers told the Chargers he'd want traded if they moved to LA a couple off seasons ago. So I wouldn't bet on the LA thing being a good or a bad thing for bringing in free agents. In the end, money and situation far out weigh location. And quite frankly, with no QB in sight for this team why would I want to sign with the Rams for the same money or less than a team that looks better on paper?

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
It will bring some it will lose some. Bring - top end guys or guys who think they are, potential for LA hype, young guys for lifestyle, guys who's wife/girlfriend want the lifestyle
Push away - those who worry about bottom line first $, specifically those guys who aren't getting any real endorsement dollars), family guys who don't lifestyle and headaches, guys who's wfie/girlfriend does not want the temptation/ competition

Really figure it is a wash....
The other thing to remember is the young guys who come for the lifestyle, you got to keep their heads focused, much tougher in la, not to mention the papz are out in force there...not easy to cover up as other places

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It probably has more to do with being so far under the cap right now. No money, no free agents.

LA will be a draw for some players but it won't appeal to everyone, especially if the team sucks. I think the main plan though is to keep their own first and foremost.
Someone, with some smarts, is going to show present players a list of all the past players for the Rams who made BIG BUCKS off "Hollywood" during the Rams big years in the late '60's thru 1980 and players will have a "Brain-Fart" !!
Bulb.jpg
IF they could, so could I!! " MONEY TALKS!!" IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY!!" And I Love it!!

( and who-ever does this could make a pretty dollar him/or her self!!)

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Love seeing all the opinions. Everyone has a right to their opinion for sure. I'm just telling you that I KNOW we're going to do very well in free agency this off season. Both by retaining a lot, and grabbing a couple key players. I KNOW! ;)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Location has to help with some players. But agents are going to want more for their players since in effect the Rams have a lame duck coach and FO. Agents and players can need a little extra $$$$$$ coaxing sometimes when the future system is an unknown.
A couple year extension for Fisher is chump change in the big picture.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
But agents are going to want more for their players since in effect the Rams have a lame duck coach and FO. A couple year extension for Fisher is chump change in the big picture.

Oh I'm gonna take some heat for my next comment but ... here goes.
Jeff Fisher is a lame duck coach, whether he gets an extension or not! He's a lame duck coach even if he receives a 5 year extension. He's not a good coach.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Oh I'm gonna take some heat for my next comment but ... here goes.
Jeff Fisher is a lame duck coach, whether he gets an extension or not! He's a lame duck coach even if he receives a 5 year extension. He's not a good coach.
Not going to give you any heat over your opinion. All i'm saying is agents and players can get a bit shy when the next Chip Kelly type could be on the horizon.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
For our top free agents this is their first and biggest real payday opportunity. I don't think location is as important as the contract is. They want money and security. They know this is their best chance to parlay a big payday. The next one for them won't command as much. If the Rams pony up they will stay. Simple as that.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Love seeing all the opinions. Everyone has a right to their opinion for sure. I'm just telling you that I KNOW we're going to do very well in free agency this off season. Both by retaining a lot, and grabbing a couple key players. I KNOW! ;)

How is this looking right now lol.