I really want to like Ogletree, but....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think his injured arm has a lot to do with his recent play....he was getting better in Wade's defense.

MachS

Hall of Fame

Then maybe we need to look at Baron or someone else in the front 7. I think John Johnson and Joyner are nice on the back end to help with the run. Not run stopping thumpers by any means but their solid. So for us to improve here we can upgrade at NT, but I think Westbrooks has actually been playing pretty damn good this year. I've been impressed with what he's done but we could upgrade there. Quinn/Barwin are pretty weak in the run, I mean I don't think we can produce a dominant run defense with our personnel.

Hopefully Brock is back beginning of next year and him and Donald are an amazing duo against the run. But there's a chance his ACL is torn, and if he's out for majority of next season our run D will be in big trouble unless we make it a focus in the off-season/draft.

Name
Rod
I think we need an upgrade in the middle. Having a middle backer that can't shed blocks is like having a sniper with poor vision. Tree is a poor tackler and you can't have a good run defense with a middle backer that can't tackle. He is an elite athlete and that has gotten him by so far, but this guy is a liability at his position. I'm sure Wade will make a change when he can.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He tried to grab and wrap, but slipped off.
It happens. Is he elite? No. But he's a big reason we made it as far as we did.

He flew in at 100mph when there was no need to. One move by the rb and see ya later. He has to think about down and distance. Slow down a little and make sure you tackle him.

TexasRam

Legend
Olgetree has been tackling technique has been the EXACT same since i seen him playing at Georgia. He is either going to just run into a player or if the angle isnt there it Will be an arm tackle. And on top of that he cant shed a block. Thats why i was surprised they resigned him to play mlb in a 3-4, i was also surprised to see them move him to mlb in a 4-3 also, but anyone was an upgrade from JL55 at that point. He is not a fit in our D, he is an 4-3 outside lb. Dont get me qrong he is a good player but if tou want to stop the run you dont put him in the middle unless your d scheme is for the DTs to hold up blocks instead of penetration. And our DTs are always penetrating... Scheme is juat wrong for Tree

I agree and for his size he looked slow covering TE's and RB's this year out of the backfield. I am not big on PFF with some positions like QB which they completely slaughter, but their evaluation of Ogletree at 39 or whatever they had him which is really low, like bottom of the league low, was really accurate. In our scheme in the middle he is miscast. He is a pro bowl level guy in a 4-3 on the outside with his range.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Earlier in the season I had called for Ogletree to be traded or become a 2018 CAP casualty, that wasn't very popular, and it was only days later the Rams extended his contract. This isn't as bad as the Austin extension, but imo a close second. Tree is a very popular Ram around here, guess I never really 'got it'. Unquestionably he was a fine WLB under Williams' 4-3, so was Barron when Ogletree was moved inside, but he's just not a 3-4 ILB. jmo.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
I love Tree but yes he does come in too high and runners slip under him a lot. On the critical 3rd down screen play, he was there in plenty of time and there was no need to hit the rb quick. Last year on Hard Knocks I saw Mike Singletary teach Tree to make it a habit to breakdown before making the hit, explode from down up. Tree is not doing that. Not sure if he ever took that advice.

jacktheripper85

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love Tree but yes he does come in too high and runners slip under him a lot. On the critical 3rd down screen play, he was there in plenty of time and there was no need to hit the rb quick. Last year on Hard Knocks I saw Mike Singletary teach Tree to make it a habit to breakdown before making the hit, explode from down up. Tree is not doing that. Not sure if he ever took that advice.

Agreed. Most of us here have probably played football or coached it at some point in our lives and the guys who try to tackle like Tree are doing it because it’s the easiest way to avoid an injury. He’s great at chasing people down but if he’s there at the point of attack he’s weak. With his speed and athleticism you would love to see him lower the shoulder and light somebody up but doesn’t seem like he wants to go there. He is strictly an OLB.

A55VA6

Legend
He tried to grab and wrap, but slipped off.
It happens. Is he elite? No. But he's a big reason we made it as far as we did.
True.

It is very easy to notice and remember the mistakes... my bet is Tree has had more good plays than bad plays. But still, I would like to see him improve in the future.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
man he seems to come up small in big spots. Earlier in the year against Dallas he whiffs against Eliot on a huge 3rd and goal and than that whiff last night. Ouch! Biggest momentum change in the game. Score before the half than hold them to 3 and out on their opening possession than get the ball back with a chance to take the lead. Instead 8 minutes later, they score, gain momentum and tire out our defense. Just a backbreaker-Ogletree has to realize the moment and sell out to make that play-disappointing.

And I’m not letting Cooper off the hook but to me we had gotten over that and had all the momentum. That missed tackle was a killer.
This is why I think they will go (I have this in my mock draft) after a ILB as their first pick. Ogletree needs some help.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Ram's NT is easily the weakest position on the whole D. Tree is a converted OLB and I think he fits best outside. Barron is also too light to be inside. We need thumpers at ILB who demolish rb's and OLB's that can rush the passer.

Should be interesting to see how the staff adresses this situation during the draft/FA.

It is no less important than finding Whit's heir apparent.
NT is an issue....Westbrooks was a DE until this season & he was our main starter @ NT. Westbrooks is better @ reserve for Brockers & Donald. Rams do have Omarius Bryant who was under contract all season in the PS & is sure to sign a new contract here shortly. They could also resign Tyrunn Walker (who I like very much as a reserve for the NT ) but a new pure NT of Wade's desire is a need in this draft. I do not want to go the high priced UFA route @ NT.

Alec Ogletree is Wade's Defensive Captain & is going to be here for many seasons. Absent Mark Barron he will be slid over to the Weak Side Interior LB'ing post thus leaving the vacancy @ Strong Side interior LB'ing post open...this is where you insert a larger hit machine either by draft or by Free Agency.

As far as addressing the LT post you do it two ways draft a LT prospect & then prepare to slide LG Saffold over a few feet if Andrew Withworth retires or goes down for a long period of time. The veteran Saffold can handle the LT post until the drafted LT prospect is ready. This would also mandate signing Saffold to a 2 to 3 yr contract.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I actually think that if we move on from Barron... we could go after a stout MLB and slide Ogletree over to Barron's spot. Tree is solid... I just think we're undersized at inside LB with him and Barron... Tree is athletic and I think it might be a better fit for him in the 3-4..

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I would love to love tree as well, but I don’t.

I like him a lot, think he’s a great locker room guy, and he plays all out all the time, but he cannot tackle. Great in coverage though.

Barron is one of the best, if not the, tacklers on the team. Hill tackles well as well, as do Joyner and Johnson (John).

Tru doesn’t, but is a great corner.
It’s called blocking and tackling, and tackling (not just the Rams) seems to be a lost art sometimes.

Everybody wants the big hit, but fail at basic tackling imo.

Just my thoughts.

Debacled

Starter
His limitations are the same they always have been...

He bites on play fakes far too easily, cannot shed a block to save his life, and goes through stretches of head scratching piss poor tackling form. He is super grabby in pass coverage as well, which is becoming a problem as well.

I like the extension, but I don't like what they will be paying him. Is he better than his back ups? Being the 3rd highest paid ILB in the game I'd sure hope so.

Psycho_X

Legend
I think Ogeltree gets too amped up which is a problem that happens to a lot of defensive players. They go full speed at the expense of thinking through the play and tackle. And offensive skill players know that and they use it against a lot of players.

Going in for a tackle at full speed in open field rarely works out for the tackler. I don't know why so many players still do it but they just have too much adrenaline going to think beyond the hit I guess. Slow down, make the ball carrier make a decision, the play instantly slows down and even if you still miss the tackle you've given a second or two for your teammates to get in on the action.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we need an upgrade in the middle. Having a middle backer that can't shed blocks is like having a sniper with poor vision. Tree is a poor tackler and you can't have a good run defense with a middle backer that can't tackle. He is an elite athlete and that has gotten him by so far, but this guy is a liability at his position. I'm sure Wade will make a change when he can.
Tough call, RDK.

Not that long ago, MLBs were "solid". Bigger guys who could take on blocks, clog things up and get to the ball carrier.
This was when teams ran more.

Now, with a more pass-happy league, I think the game has moved past the "prototypical" MLB... everyone has to be fast now-a-days to defend receiving threats coming over the middle... and those guys are fast.

So, I think Ogletree is built for that... but, at times, he can be overpowered and unable to shed blockers.

I think you have to look at his entire body of work... the whole package.

Is it better that he get pushed around a little from time to time... or is it better that he can keep up with receiving threats coming out of the backfield?

In today's NFL? I think the latter is where you need to go.

In a perfect world, the Rams find that unique athlete that can shed the blocks and protect against the run and cover guys coming through the middle.

Until they find that guy, continue to coach up Ogletree... this was his first year in the Phillips system.

Let's see what 2018 brings.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In defense of Tree you would have to account & consider the play & performance of his other LB'ers would you not?

Tree did not get much help from OLB'er Rob Quinn in his ugly romps working back from the LOS. OLB'er Quinn was a fish out of water each & every time he was asked to move out in space & offered up ZERO help to Tree. Quinn may have upped his game some over the later half of the season in the sacks & pressures but RQ's other tasks & assignments I would describe as in "FAIL MODE".

The 31 yr old battle horse OLB'er Conner Barwin season was filled with some periods of time where he was dealing with a injured knee & a broken arm. CB missed most of 4 gms & parts of 2 others meaning some other LB'er was playing in his spot. CB is a 6-5 255 pound pass rusher not a mobile rangy LB'er type in space either. CB better skills are near the LOS & pressuring the passer.

When CB was not on the field his place was taken by a 2017 3rd draft day selection rookie named Samson Ebukam. SE has promise but his rookie season was not a good overall season when asked to start. The injures issues with CB led to starts by Ebukam & Carlos Thompson next to Tree, all firsts for these two super green young LB'ers.I thought Carlos play well enough as a reserve LB'er but I did not see him as a starter in the NFL.

If the above was not enough lest discuss Mark Barron some more. MB did not get any regular reps in this 34 Defense until the regular season started @ inside next to Tree. That's not a positive guys! He entered the beginning of 2017 injured & ended the 2017 season injured. MB has some wear & tear on his soon to be 29 yr old safety sized frame. CB is close to 6-3 but plays in the 220 to 225 pound area. MB has a gimpy damage Knee & a lingering Achilles issue.

MB gave out @ ILB'er Cory Littleton came in. Cory has always been a OLB'er or a standup pass rushing DE in college & NFL. CL was shifted inside late in pre season due mostly for a lack of ILB'er prospect on the roster. CL is over 6-3 & rangy thin 220/225 lb player. He has the the lower body of a wide out. CL flashed @ time bt was lost the rest of the time. IMO when we see CL in 2018 ...Wade will have him back @ OLB'er position where it better fit his Skills & Talents.

After a career-high 136 tackles (98 solo) in 2016, Alec Ogletree dipped to 95 (63 solo) through 15 games this season.We do know that this was AO first season playing in the 34D in the NFL. With all that was going on around him this season @ the other 3 LB'ing posts Would it be too much to ask that we bring their performances into the equation too? AO badly injured his elbow in wk #13 & he wore a large brace all the way thru wk#17. I find it hard to find too much wrong with AO after I look @ the Rams total LB'ing unit performance.

I would like to invite my fellow Rams fans here who differ from my opinion her to tell me where I am off the mark?:bueller: