I re-watched the Chiefs game last night...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I see most of your post regarding Goff start out with praise but always has a statement that seems to show that you have a lack of confidence in Goff. You are more able to accept that talent is the reason other QBs are good and will get better, but are quick to point out something negative about Goff like he is protected by the scheme or that he has pretty much gotten as good as he can get..
Goff is a HOFer, and will be better than Brees....I said as such in August, and guys were angry (on another ram board). I said he will have the same career as Brees....or something like that.

I point out negatives because it takes 7-8 years to get to the start of greatness (Manning, Brady, Brees and Rogers level)

Goff isn't even close to what he will be; he is amazing. He is beter in his 3rd year than any QB I can even think of....including Manning (Rogers was on bench), Brady's 3rd year was good, not great.

Goff has a long way to go to surpass Brady, and he will, if he is healthy.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Yea that is pretty much how I view Goff as well.

Goff just isn't that guy that looks to create outside the pocket like some of these other guys do. Mahomes, Favre, these type of guys are looking to make big plays when the play breaks down. Sometimes too early. Goff usually throws it away unless there is a quick safe option out there.

But Goff doesn't have to do a lot of off schedule stuff because he is precision on each play..It looks methodical and that is one way to describe it. But that word has a negative connotation usually. When the ball placement is pin point accurate on the short medium and deep passes and the reads are quick and correct, and the pocket movement is right, then the QB play looks methodical or mechanical or easy.

These Maverick QB's that run around and throw picks into coverage.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree

Diesel

UDFA
Any links to re watch the game? I thought it was recorded only to come back the next day to find out it wasn't.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Fowler was doubled on a lot of plays when AD wasn't. Suh and Brockers looks like they have slowed down their pass rush to stay in their respective lanes when it comes to filling gaps and playing the run. I think it was on NFL network where they were going over the Rams run defense issues and a lot of it was guys all trying to be hero's going after the QB, creating gaps freeing up running lanes. We can't always have guys going after the QB on every play. I think most of it is scheme because we were getting lit up against the run/draw/RPO. Hopefully the off week will help us get our barrings back with our Defense. Talib will help stabilize the secondary even if it's just making sure the guys are doing THEIR job. The amount of blown coverages this year has also been a real headscratcher.

I'd also like to point out that Suh is doing his job. I don't agree that he has lost his edge. Why do you think AD has 14.5 sacks as a DT??? You don't think Suh has something to do with that. If AD was the only threat on our Dline he would only have 6 or 7 sacks at this point at the season which is still great for a DT.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Way I see it Jared is Tom Brady 2.0 in terms of his mechanics and pocket presence/movement. I do think he's going to surpass him in terms of yards and TDs, provided the Rams keep McVay around and don't F it up at the organizational level.

Only caveat for me is the Super Bowls, since those come down to more than the QBs. If he gets the full team balance and quality--from the coaching staff to the bottom of the roster--that Brady has benefitted from he's going to rack up championships and may indeed surpass him there, but that's a long way off and a lot of things have to go just right. Boy would that be nice. (y)

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Goff is a HOFer, and will be better than Brees....I said as such in August, and guys were angry (on another ram board). I said he will have the same career as Brees....or something like that.

I point out negatives because it takes 7-8 years to get to the start of greatness (Manning, Brady, Brees and Rogers level)

Goff isn't even close to what he will be; he is amazing. He is beter in his 3rd year than any QB I can even think of....including Manning (Rogers was on bench), Brady's 3rd year was good, not great.

Don't think it will take Goff as long as 7 or 8 years to be great. Goff is not very far off that level right now. I think in a year or two at most Goff will be at the top of his game and fully aware and in charge of every situation on the field.

Don't think it took Manning or Joe Montana that long either. What they all have in common is not just smarts and a serious dedication to being the best, but a total inner mastery of their ability.

Of course, great qbs continue to learn and improve throughout their careers. I'm very impressed by Brees and also Phillip Rivers in that regard.

But really I agree with Jerry Goff who said "Jared's always been great." What Goff is doing now doesn't seem materially different to me than what he did at Cal. He's just doing it in a totally different system and a far more talented league. Sure, he's refined his footwork and his mechanics. Yes, as he sees more of the pro game he will get significantly better in recognition of every situation on the field. But, like Manning or Montana, the real skills and total inner confidence have always been there.

To me, it's more a question of how long it will take for everyone to recognize who he is and what he is actually doing.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I’ve been saying that same exact thing about Suh for some time, the guy is an absolute bust for us. Not sure if he’s lost his drive, if it’s scheme, or hesitation bc of his one year deal but he just doesn’t show up enough to merit his pay; he’ll be gone next year for sure.

Hoping he’s saving himself for playoffs and laying off the pedal now, but I’m leary.