I love an aggressive offensive minded head coach.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Letting the clock run down would also have prevented them from possibly scoring a TD, which was a possibility of course. They had 3 timeouts and McVay let them borrow 2 of his at the start of the drive.

If he had not have done that they would have been on their side of the 50 as time ran off the clock.

I think McVay is great but I didn't like those two timeouts.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The first timeout after the sack, when you have them, at what, 2nd and 17? Was absolutely the right call, and I would have been upset had he not called it. The second one I wouldn't have called before a 3rd and 5, but I certainly can't blame him for it. As said previously, if it works, he is a genius.

After the Sack you absolutely call a Timeout there. If you stop them and force a 3rd and 14, or so, then they choose to either 1. throw the ball and risk giving it back with time for us to score, or 2. run the ball, and not really go for the first down.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I love a HC that has a killer instinct.

McVay knew momentum had shifted in Rams favor and wanted to put a dagger in the Panthers heart.

We’ve seen previous HC’s get overly conservative and allow an opponent to rise up and make a close game if it. I much prefer a HC that goes for the throat when given a reasonable opportunity.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I remember when people in the GDT would be losing their shit when Fisher would let the clock run out in that situation.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I wasn't happy with those timeouts either. We were going into the half with a 13 point lead, and we were getting the ball after kickoff. McVay gifted them 3 points there.
McVay made a rookie mistake. 13 point lead (visiting team ) is better than 10.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
McVay made a rookie mistake. 13 point lead (visiting team ) is better than 10.
Meh. I bet he does that 15 years from now. He's more of a gambler than some and certainly believes in outscoring his opponent more than grinding out a game by winding the clock.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I liked the aggressiveness, just wish it was consistent
When given the opportunity to put the game away with the 4th and 1, opting for the FG was bogus.
Na, you take a 2 score lead at that time of the game. You don't take risks you don't need to take. In fact, I think you take a 2 score lead in just about any scenario, unless you haven't stopped them most of the game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Na, you take a 2 score lead at that time of the game. You don't take risks you don't need to take. In fact, I think you take a 2 score lead in just about any scenario, unless you haven't stopped them most of the game.
It already was a 2 score game, exactly the point. Being it was a 2 score game, take the risk that you can get 1 yard. Trust the D to not let up 2 scoring drive. Which inevitably is what happened

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It already was a 2 score game, exactly the point. Being it was a 2 score game, take the risk that you can get 1 yard. Trust the D to not let up 2 scoring drive. Which inevitably is what happened

I'm thinking he meant it made it so the kitty cats had to score 2 TDs which they didn't.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I remember it was a 7 point lead. That is the scenario I'm talking about.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember it was a 7 point lead. That is the scenario I'm talking about.
Not sure when that was. I was referring to the 4th Q after they picked off Newton and had the ball in Carolina territory. Maybe 5 or 6 minutes left? All the momentum in Rams way at that point, they had just scored TD, picked off Newton and now 4th and 1... They attempt a FG.... It all worked out but like I said, I'd have preferred the aggressive nature like he showed at end of 1st half
I'm thinking he meant it made it so the kitty cats had to score 2 TDs which they didn't.
Oh, I get why he did it, just felt that he was aggressive and trusted the D at the end of the 1st half with the time outs, would have loved that same aggressiveness in that spot for reasons above. Carolina only had 1 more drive in the game, no chance for 2 scores

EastRam

Pro Bowler

McVay knew momentum had shifted in Rams favor and wanted to put a dagger in the Panthers heart.

We’ve seen previous HC’s get overly conservative and allow an opponent to rise up and make a close game if it. I much prefer a HC that goes for the throat when given a reasonable opportunity.

It did shift to the Rams and the Rams got the ball in the second half. So why did McVay feel the need to risk shifting the momentum back to the Panthers. Which calling the timeouts did exactly that.

Bad use of time outs by McVay. I said it in the game day thread when he called the first one.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
The first timeout was the right call as you had Carolina in a hole. After the big gain on second down the second timeout wasn’t very wise. First game mistake kinda like Hekker getting two punts blocked that I don’t see happening again this season.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

But instead McVay shot the Rams in the foot. Being aggressive may not be the best plan when it consists of empowering the other team’s two minute offense.

I also wanted to see the Rams give the ball to Gurley when they had it inside Panthers territory with 5:45 left in the game. That would have heen an actual dagger in the heart. Gurley was feeling it. You can’t tell me he doesn’t at least get a first down and runs down the clock a couple of minutes.

But McVay always defaults to pass first. In my view it’s a weakness in his playing calling and game strategy.