I just need to say it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've been a fan of Wade Philips since 2004. IMO this guy is a HOF level defensive coordinator. Let's face it, at 72 you have to wonder and perhaps be concerned about how much longer can he do this? That's why I think they need to bring in someone who can seamlessly take over this defense at a moments notice if required. There is a guy named John Pagano who was with the Chargers for 14 years. He's the brother of Chuck Pagano. The reason I say John would be the man to bring in is that he and Wade became very close during Wade's tenure with the Chargers. It was John who got Phillips to take his 3-4 scheme to the next level by introducing him to the 3-4 hybrid scheme that Phillips has used since 2004 when he was the Chargers DC.

When Wade became the HC in Dallas he wanted to bring John Pagano with him as his DC. The Chargers, as usual, were dicks and said no blocking John's promotion. Not because they were going to promote Pagano themselves, but just because they are petty dicks. John remained their LB coach until 2012 when they finally promoted him to DC at HC Norv Turner's behest. When Turner got fired and went to Cleveland he tried to bring Pagano over as well. But the Chargers again blocked that and had to promote Pagano to the Chargers DC position.

Pagano took over a woefully undermanned defensive unit. I can't tell you how many times his game plans were brilliant and this undermanned defense carried the day or at least kept them in the game when they lost. This guy is an excellent coach and knows the exact scheme Phillips runs. They have backups for key players how about a backup for a brilliant but aging DC?

John Pagano is a defensive assistant under Romeo Crennel for Houston. The Rams could offer him a assistant DC position a promotion that would be difficult for Houston to block. Many teams run this scheme but few do it as well as Wade Phillips. Why not bring on board a man that helped him develop the scheme? McVay delegates the defensive duties during games allowing him to make in-game adjustments to the offense. Phillips could use some help during the games. The thing that stood out in Pagano's Charger defenses were his half time adjustments. There were times his adjustments completely shut down the opposing offenses. Having Pagano in the box with a complete overview of the game would be invaluable IMO. Or they could trade places with Wade in the Box resting his old bones relaying things to Pagano on the field. It could add years to Wade's career.

If they want this team to be the dynasty that they envision then they need to secure the architect's that designed it. John Pagano is one of the most underrated defensive coaching talents in the NFL. This is a move Snead needs to make. Pagano's half time adjustments would allow Wade to take this defense to the next level while ensuring that this unit remains elite for a long time.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm hoping McVays friend, LB coach Chris Shula, is being mentored to by Phillips and becomes the next in line. jmo.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
There are a few guys on the coaching staff right now that may be being groomed for that position.

As mentioned above Chris Shula.

There's Aubrey Pleasant in the secondary.

And he hasn't been with the team long, but he was nabbed from the Chargers. Erik Henderson on the Dline.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams aren't going to push him out, or press him for a successor, or any of that. If he decides to retire so be it. But there is no reason to think he doesn't have another 3+ years in him which is a long time in the NFL.

He IS a HoF defensive coordinator. So you treat that MFer like a rock star and keep him happy.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I agee w/ @Merlin and treat the DC GOAT like a rock star. But I been a big supporter of Aubrey Pleasant for a while now. Mainly because how he connects to the players and gets they to buy in and develop them. So Aubrey gets the 1st interview IMHO

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agee w/ @Merlin and treat the DC GOAT like a rock star. But I been a big supporter of Aubrey Pleasant for a while now. Mainly because how he connects to the players and gets they to buy in and develop them. So Aubrey gets the 1st interview IMHO
Bingo. Aubrey Pleasant should be given a raise and a new title every year until Wade decides to go.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not talking about pushing him out. The reason I thought of John is that he and Wade have history and Wade did want him in Dallas. They are friends who worked well together. My main concern was easing the burden on Wade to extend his tenure and in doing so bring in another valuable asset.

As long as this team is considered elite and continues to have success, members of this staff are going to get poached by other teams. Yes, there are others on the staff, but who knows how long they will be here. After the Rams win the Lombardi next year this staff will be raided from every direction. I'm not being just light-hearted when I say that. Look what happened this year.

I don't see Snead or McVay holding these guys back like Spanos of the Chargers routinely does. But the annual talent drain among the coaching staff is a concern, especially if they have success. I saw what Wade and John did in San Diego and with a lot less talent. The Rams have more talent on their D-line than Wade and John had in the whole defense. They had Shaun Phillips, Melvin Ingram, and Eric Weddle and that's it.

Wade's older than me and you have no idea how things you did without thinking last year are chores now. I stay in shape too, I make sure I lift a bottle each of Corona or Pacifico and Modelo daily. I get up and down out of my lounge chair and intentionally leave my cooler at the far end of the balcony so I have to walk all the way over there and bend over too!! Then I walk all the way back and open the bottles with the bottle opener without spraining my hands. On weekends I do it more than twice in an afternoon! But sometimes ya gotta work up a sweat...no pain no gain right?

Just remember the only Spanish you need to know is:
"Mas cervezas por favor!" and "donde esta el bano" and finally "eres una chica hermosa" With the last one make sure you have a couple of cervezas before you say it to her. If she takes offense she will just assume your drunk and let it slide.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't think it's possible to create the level of insurance that you seek..

People correctly look to imitate success, and in that is the inevitable possibility that your competition pursues your successor before you've had a chance to promote that person internally.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think I'll allow McVay to figure this out. I know he was wondering who I thought he should bring in but it's time he figured things out on his own.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trust in McVay and Snead to eventually replace him when he decides he’s done. But I’d imagine as others have said Pleasant and Shula could be being groomed for it now. I also would be surprised to see new addition Eric Henderson in the mix for a promotion also.