I have some questions for the 'experts' on OL play.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup, it's all part of the equation. Now to blow your mind, would that continuity rule apply if you had 5 Bobby Evans starting all the time though? :laugh1:
As the saying goes, there are exceptions to every rule.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Here is a thing i know about the o line (im no expert). There is usually atleast one double team block at some point in a run play. And typically it requires one guy to peel off the double team and block someone on the second level. This requires coordination between two linemen to know exactly how to transition from double team blocking to solo block without losing leverage. Its a whole process that requires practice and communication between players.
The Rams do run some duo. Duo is a power approach where the double gets applied to the guy you want to kick out. It's gap with a double team, as I understand it at least.

Zone generally speaking the guys without someone on them are supposed to get second level and seal to prevent running in direction of where the run play is going. Note you are right that sometimes they chip to help on the way out but a lot of ILBs are hard to get hands on in space for them so the motion of that is quick if it happens. Like the aforementioned stiff arm to the armpit or a quick shoulder.

Good way to tell quickly if it's zone is the footwork. A zone run play will see all the linemen take a quick step in the same direction (with same foot), and they move as a group and string them accordingly.

Last edited:

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
And yet we did well with Jamon Brown at G in 2017, Austin Blythe there in 2018 and David Edwards/Austin Corbett in 2021. But each one of those seasons there was very little or no time lost to injury. And in 2019, 2020 and 2022, injuries. Twice they were multiple. Noteboom, Allen and Havenstein in 2019. Whitworth in 2020. Everybody but Havenstein this year. It seems even when the talent is there and continuity isn't, it ain't pretty. Continuity with lesser talent can get you by.
Corbett was, like too many before, underrated. We should have paid him but I understand we can’t pay everyone and Robinson looked enticing

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I have nothing to add other than to say this is a really great thread talking football and I am learning a lot from it. Thanks all. A breath of fresh air compared to plenty other threads recently!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand the continuity thing, but we couldn't run last year either when we had the same starting 5 all year. Personally, I believe the problem lies with the interior unit... the guards and the center. JMO.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It could be the design of the run game and/or the lack of a big back with speed. Draft Bijan Robinson with our first selection in the draft!

Debacled

Starter
Continuality and familiarity are both huge aspects, especially for a position unit that relies on the guys next to you knowing what to do if x happens. The more these guys play together the better they know what each other tends to do.

You're seeing a worst case scenario this year. Lots of guys playing all over the line next to other guys they aren't as familiar with. A number of dudes who weren't even rostered to begin the year. Guys who are completely new to the scheme and what the call outs may even be. It extends to the TEs and RBs as well as they will have blocking assignments often. We saw it a lot the last few games, guys aren't familiar enough with each other to know who is going to slide on a stunt for example. It takes a lot of trust to say "hey, I'm going to stick with my guy because I know X next to me saw the same stunt I did and will slide to cover it."

I don't think it is a "complicated scheme" issue at all. This is what o-line play looks like when you are starting guys who weren't here to gel in the preseason let alone even on a roster a few weeks ago. The skill isn't there (or they wouldn't have been on the street), the familiarity isn't there (which is completely expected), and the execution is lacking because understanding scheme nuances takes time. This is one of the big reasons you don't see a ton of trades for offensive linemen at the trade deadline (almost none really unless a team is just really sour on a guy and wants to get anything back for them). Its one of the few positions where just being good at your job isn't enough, the unit really has to function as a group well.