I have one question: does what you fear make sense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I’m speaking both directly to some of you here, as well as rhetorically to Rams fans at large.

I know what you fear. You fear that the Rams are planning a purge that, in essence, trades short term potential (i.e. the 2023 season) for long-term stability. Such an approach would not be unheard of, of course. Many teams have taken such an approach in the past.

My question, though, is whether it makes sense that this would be the Rams’ plan right now?

Here’s why I think it does not make sense. Sean McVay (potential burnout and opportunities in sports media), Matthew Stafford (age, wear and tear) and Aaron Donald (age, little left to accomplish) seem to be on a year-to-year status right now. If that is the case, and the franchise knows it, wouldn’t it make far more sense for the current plan to be DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO WIN NOW, rather than some cap health/long game approach?

If that argument makes sense to you, then follow the logic trail. It will lead you to the conclusion that the “purge” rumored to be taking place will be followed by some strategic acquisitions calculated to put the Rams in a position to compete NOW.

That doesn’t mean the plan will succeed but, at least, it allows for hope, rather than resignation.

So… be patient. They’re cracking some eggs… let’s see how the omelette turns out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’m speaking both directly to some of you here, as well as rhetorically to Rams fans at large.

I know what you fear. You fear that the Rams are planning a purge that, in essence, trades short term potential (i.e. the 2023 season) for long-term stability. Such an approach would not be unheard of, of course. Many teams have taken such an approach in the past.

My question, though, is whether it makes sense that this would be the Rams’ plan right now?

Here’s why I think it does not make sense. Sean McVay (potential burnout and opportunities in sports media), Matthew Stafford (age, wear and tear) and Aaron Donald (age, little left to accomplish) seem to be on a year-to-year status right now. If that is the case, and the franchise knows it, wouldn’t it make far more sense for the current plan to be DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO WIN NOW, rather than some cap health/long game approach?

If that argument makes sense to you, then follow the logic trail. It will lead you to the conclusion that the “purge” rumored to be taking place will be followed by some strategic acquisitions calculated to put the Rams in a position to compete NOW.

That doesn’t mean the plan will succeed but, at least, it allows for hope, rather than resignation.

So… be patient. They’re cracking some eggs… let’s see how the omelette turns out.
That makes sense. Hard to see Donald, Stafford, and Kupp (and others) just mailing in 2023.

The math sure feels daunting, tho. Like, almost impossible on the FA side. How can we add much?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I view:

Floyd was an average pass rusher
ARob as an average WR
Ramsey as a "one of one", unique in NFL history

So I love two of the potentially upcoming moves....I think they will make the Rams better because overpaying for average is a bad thing.

I view the Ramsey deal as something to take one elite player and try to turn that into multiple draft picks which will help for the future.

So for 2023 and beyond I like the first two. For Ramsey it's just beyond and even that I'm struggling with, to be frank.

Either way....the only thing I fear is playing the Niners in San Francisco on primetime. Please don't make me watch that trainwreck again...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Wagner gone. Floyd soon to be gone. Ramsey and Allen Robinson possibly gone. Kinda says all you need to know. If McVay knew this was coming it makes me think he won't be retiring after next season. Why else would he stay? I think maybe he wants to see this rebuild through. I can't see him coming back during a rebuild with the plan of retiring before its done.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My guess is that Demoff & Pastoors sat down with Kroenke, Snead and McVay, discussed our team's many financial options, and their conclusions will become evident fairly soon.

Turducken

Starter
It could make sense if McVay is committed to stay on board through the next 2-3 seasons.

The unspoken understanding may be that we will have a one year reset (remodel, re-engineer, etc) in the hopes of reopening a SB window in '24. We would still compete for the nfc west this season (it could happen) but, with no expectation of a playoff run.

Why walk that route? Well, if you don't think you can reopen the SB window this next season that's what you do (absent a total rebuild - which is still a possibility).

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Of course they will try to compete and win now. They still have AD, Stafford and Kupp (we'll see about Ramsay). They will get better as fast as they can.

But at the moment they have nothing much in terms of clearly superior talent on offense beyond Stafford and Kupp. The oline is still questionable and maybe worse. Akers was better late in the year, but will that translate into a running game needed to keep opponents from crushing Stafford again? WRs other than Kupp are sufficient only for a possession game (unless Atwell starts catching bombs or they resign OBJ).

On D they are missing both ends, a middle linebacker, and maybe their star cornerback-- which would leave two young and unproven CBs-- and will likely soon lose their best run stuffing lineman. And they may also lose their reliable field goal kicker.

Don't see how they turn on a dime to fill all these gaps. They can't do it all with high quality free agents and it is unrealistic to expect too much out of the rookie draft class from mostly lower round picks.

However-- imo it's encouraging that McVay seems committed to turning the team around and is making the tough decisions to do so. It's just that it will take time. More time than just this season.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I fear nothing, whether they are blowing it up, trying to reload on the run, or something else.

While I could lose my mind over individual moves here and there, questioning whether they are the right moves, some facts remain immovable: The Rams, in 2021, went all in to win a Super Bowl - and succeeded. They succeeded in one of the most thrilling playoff runs in one of the most thrilling set of playoff games the NFL has ever seen. They won it in their own house - the first Super Bowl to ever be played in their house. Those things I just listed will never not be true.

So yeah, we might deal with some pain now as a result, but it was worth it.

For more perspective, go look at the Derrick Henry thread. The Titans built a pretty solid team, and managed to clinch homefield advantage. Then they choked it away, and came back the next year and fell apart. Now they are blowing it up, and they don't even have a trophy to show for it.

And look at all the other teams that would have killed to be in our position.

Perspective matters.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a major concern is Stafford. No guarantee that he will make it through this year or even play at all. Without him, we are in a rebuilding mode this year.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think a major concern is Stafford. No guarantee that he will make it through this year or even play at all. Without him, we are in a rebuilding mode this year.
I’d caution you against putting too much stock in unsourced rumors repeated by click craving bloggers.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams are retooling and not surrendering. So far the only thing they have done is cut, Wagner. It looks like Floyd will be cut. Maybe Ramsey will be traded but, they should get a good draft pick for him. Robinson's possible trade doesn't make a lot of sense at this point.

The Rams need to keep Stafford healthy. Improving the offensive line is a must ASAP. Things are leaning toward a better chance at a run in 2024. Create cap space while improving the offensive line, and be reloaded by 2024. They will still be competitive in 2023.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
IMHO some of these debates get down to semantics.

For example-- yes, I'd agree that the Rams still very much want to "win now" and "be in a position to compete." But does "being in a position to compete" mean "they want to be a good competitive team with playoff potential" or does it mean "a loaded roster where they are again willing to mortgage the future for a chance to win it all"?

Snead said something recently about "2023 being a year to pay off some of the credit card", or something to that effect.

We'll know a lot more in a month or so. Let's see what happens with Robinson, Ramsey, and Floyd. Will the Rams make "splash" signings to replace them, or will they go bargain shopping, or will they load up on future draft picks?

No matter what, Snead and McVay will give the message, "Yes, we want to win in 2023 AND we want to build for the future at the same time." But IMHO their actions over the next month will reveal how much they are truly still "all in" for 2023.

Last thing... I wouldn't necessarily say I "fear" the thought of a rebuilding year. Yes, it might be a bummer as a fan. But as a practical matter, it might be necessary to put us truly in a good position for 2024 and beyond.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that they rebuild this year and then go all out again the year after. So trades for draft picks to build with and to lower the cap numbers are in order.
2024 will probably be AD's, Stafford's, and possibly Kupp's and McVay's last year.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I had to look this guy up.... Tony Pastoors...
Tony Pastoors
So, this financial wizard has been with the Rams for 13 years... and is just now, like 35 years old?
Well - my hat is off to you, young man!!! You must be very good, at what you do! :wow2:

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d caution you against putting too much stock in unsourced rumors repeated by click craving bloggers.
I have thought this way since last year, the recent rumors don't mean crap to me. There is way too much social media these days and I don't listen to much of it. Too many blow hard wannabes writing anything that will get them clicks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I fear nothing, whether they are blowing it up, trying to reload on the run, or something else.

While I could lose my mind over individual moves here and there, questioning whether they are the right moves, some facts remain immovable: The Rams, in 2021, went all in to win a Super Bowl - and succeeded. They succeeded in one of the most thrilling playoff runs in one of the most thrilling set of playoff games the NFL has ever seen. They won it in their own house - the first Super Bowl to ever be played in their house. Those things I just listed will never not be true.

So yeah, we might deal with some pain now as a result, but it was worth it.

For more perspective, go look at the Derrick Henry thread. The Titans built a pretty solid team, and managed to clinch homefield advantage. Then they choked it away, and came back the next year and fell apart. Now they are blowing it up, and they don't even have a trophy to show for it.

And look at all the other teams that would have killed to be in our position.

Perspective matters.
C'mon, you fear lots of stuff! Like a radiation alarm going off in a nuclear submarine...or bending over to pick up soap in a Super Max prison (Don't we all, eh @Merlin ?).

Of course almost all of us think the Super Bowl was worth it and have said as much during the last putrid year. But we also remember falling off a cliff after Super Bowl 36 with poor drafting and poor coaching. It's getting to be less of an excuse in the second year after winning a Super Bowl, because that mulligan doesn't work anymore. The holes are numerous on the team and we don't have a 1st rounder with which to trade AND we don't have money to blow on high priced FA's.

I think concern is warranted.

oldnotdead

Legend
Every one of these guys that have been or look to be traded or released were going to be within the next two years. Jalen is the highest value player other than Donald or Stafford that the Rams have. But he wanted more money. So why not trade him and get what you can for him while he is still young enough to be of value. Floyd isn't being used properly by Morris and McVay isn't going to fire his friend. A. Robinson can see the writing on the wall with the emergence of Atwell and Skowronek at Y and Jefferson as an X WR.

This isn't a fire sale. This is keeping peace within the locker room and getting what you can for it. The only one who doesn't fit that mold is Wagner. They could have carried him one more year, but something forced their hand. IMO that was Mayfield. He's the one thing that became an opportunity that they couldn't pass up.

Once they committed themselves to that course it meant clearing the cap to carry two large dead caps in Stafford and Donald next year which would total $55.5M. IMO that's what probably triggered this cap clearing. If they had waited they would get less next year than they could get this year.

This isn't a crash and burn scenario. In doing this cap clearing it will allow Snead to return to his wheeling and dealing to fill key positions on the roster. They in fact might come out of this a stronger team. They carried $33M between Goff and Gurley. in 2021 and they still won a Super Bowl. Stafford's physical decline could not have been foreseen.

Snead has shown he likes to be proactive when it comes to financial issues. So I see this as a consequence of a unforeseen financial change. They could limp along and hope Stafford holds up for two more years, or they could become proactive and grab a QB that will allow them to keep their Super Bowl window open of a long time. This is how "Fuck them Picks" works. McVay wants Mayfield so Snead will make it happen.

So I for one don't see this as a strip the cupboard bare and rebuild year. They are simply remodeling this team to remain a contender. This past season exposed the biggest vulnerability of this team, i.e. being reliant upon an older injury prone QB1. The OL IMO was an aberration, of unprecedented injuries. I think we will see a different OL. They are tethered to Havenstein one more year due to his cap numbers. But between Noteboom and Jackson that position is covered for 2024.

Allen will probably get one more year to turn his career around, i.e. to play an entire year injury free. I see Shelton getting another 2 year deal to play OG this year and starting center in 2024. I expect Cole Toner to be re-signed as a backup center/OG.

How the Rams handle free agency and the draft will tell us what direction this team is headed, in terms of style of play. I think we could see an evolution of McVay's offense beginning with better run play designs. McVay's run plays lack imagination and creativity. Sean stresses secondary by his play design in the passing attack. But that has been lacking in his run play design. Hopefully LaFluer will change that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I guess they see these trades and releases as the only way to fix the cap and fix the glaring problems on the team.

However, they are also creating more problems in the process. I find it ironic that they are now all about draft picks, when before, they were all about proven talent.
I have little faith in Snead’s ability to draft well. He’s never had a great draft. He’s drafted a few great players (AD, Kupp), and made some very good picks (Havenstein, Gaines, JJ) but overall he’s never pulled off a complete franchise altering draft like the Seahawks did, twice now. He’s had some real boneheaded moments in there too. So, I think that what I fear, actually makes sense.

The only caveat could possibly be that McVay plans to stick around and see this reset through.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think concern is warranted.
We're basically where the Seahawks just were, in a way. Looking at the divisional opponents and thinking "well shit." I of course think Seattle will be behind us the moment McVay gets the lines fixed, but not so sure that's gonna happen this offseason so not confident enough to talk shite about it.

But the Shitters are in much better shape outside of QB. We are just fortunate they're fucking idiots with QB. Or have been idiots with QB. They might make a good move this offseason, which would suck ass. But I don't want to give them credit before they deserve it, as that is just my fear speaking.

Concern is definitely warranted. McVay sometimes seems to be surprised by shit that is obvious. Great coach but he's human and we all have blindspots. IMO Snead needs to raise the bar on stacking this year's roster. Start there. So this year's staff collectively needs to do a better job in conjunction with him too in leaving no stone unturned and ensuring he knows what they need.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I find it ironic that they are now all about draft picks, when before, they were all about proven talent.
I find it refreshing, if not downright comical. Their plan has been labeled "all in" and "fuck them picks". Franchises started copying that. Now the Rams are pulling a 180. Next, I expect it'll be "build through the draft like the Rams".

Here's what I don't fear. Going balls to the wall in different ways. As far as Snead's drafting prowess, remember Fisher had final say and I'd bet McVay has also. So Snead's job is to furnish them with who they want.

Last edited: