I had an interesting conversation today... by laram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shaky

I had an interesting conversation today... by laram

with three HOF players all of them among the best at their respective positions in the history of the nfl.

These guys know that I'm a big Rams fan so we talked about the Rams and the draft.

They ALL said the following.

IF you believe that you have the qb then in today's nfl the most important positions are as follows.

O-line
Pass rushers
Corners

I then asked them about rb and wr and they essentially all agreed that in today's nfl the rb has less value and less impact on the game than in the past. Its a passing league and the rules and the game is geared toward the forward pass.

I said ok then if its a passing game why aren't wr's more important? They all said look at GB, where did they get their receivers in the draft? Look at New Orleans, New England, etc. You don't have to get wr's early to be successful in the league.

If you can protect your qb, rush the passer and play the pass...you can be successful. Teams are going to the spread offense much more today which benefits the offense more and you don't have to have all world receivers to get them open with the designs, motions, iso's etc. in today's game.

full: http://www.RamsFans.com

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree with the idea that you don't need to get wide receivers early in the draft to be successful. Absolutely agree with using motion to get favorable matchups, and protecting your QB to the point that if you give most QBs enough time, they'll be able to find a receiver running free. What I'm not fully invested in is the idea that running backs aren't as important anymore. I just can't wrap my mind around that. I understand that the last few SB winners largely depended on the passing game, but then I look at the Giants and how they used their offense. Without those two RBs, that team isn't as successful in the passing game, and defenses aren't as willing to let their running game go basically unchecked in favor of defending Eli and the passing game.

I just don't think we're quite there yet.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Sure GB didnt spend first round picks on WRs, but they still have a group of 5 B+ WRs. Their 5th best WR would start for us. You can only do so much with the WRs the Rams have. Even when our oline gave Bradford time the WRs didnt meaningfully separate.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Taking a take on this derived from Pat Kirwins argument about RBs that first round 5 year contracts "give" you the best years of a RB's "life" it would seem to me that FA second round rec. are a good bet .
Mike Wallace to be specific is NOW in his prime and IMO is worth attempting to trade for Thursday night considering we have the first pick of the second day we might be able to negotiate THAT pick for the rights to Wallace and sign him to the contract he wants.
He is IMO a sure thing and could play 10 more years.

If we took Cox our d-line is rebuilt and young, a second round lb and a RB at the top of the third and we could be very competitive THIS year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If you have the a really good o-line, even average receivers can get open, you keep your QB clean, plus you can run the ball.

If you have pass rushers, average interior lineman and linebackers become less important, although this has changed a bit with the emergence of multiple tight ends.

Then, if you have good corners, they can take advantage of your teams pass rush, but you need a lot of them--one weak link and the chain is broken.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
OK, say you have two teams that have an all world OLs, D's that have a beast of a pass rush and lock down corners. Who wins? Probably the team with the best running game or team that can stop a running game and the team that has WRs that can gain separation, make spectacular catches in traffic. No? Of course coaching schemes always come into play.

I'm saying that you can't over simplify this game and narrow the importance of 11 positions down to just 3. I guess I could just say if my team has the best C, OGs, and RBs in the league and we can line up and run it up the gut for 4 yards every play against 9 in the box, we will never lose and THOSE 3 positions are the most important in the game right?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If WRs aren't that important why are CBs in top 3? Also why is there a need to rush a pass then? So the WRs have less shot to make a party? Finally why doesn't anyone mention Houston, Detroit, Arizona, Giants, San Diego, Carolina, etc. as teams that have a stud WR can do? Sorry for grammar...on my phone.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
All I know is,,, I need to start hanging out with laram. Seems like he's got some very cool amigos.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Shakes, can u disclose who you were speaking with?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
It wasn't Shaky. It was a poster on his forum named "la ram."

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
If WRs aren't that important why are CBs in top 3? Also why is there a need to rush a pass then? So the WRs have less shot to make a party? Finally why doesn't anyone mention Houston, Detroit, Arizona, Giants, San Diego, Carolina, etc. as teams that have a stud WR can do? Sorry for grammar...on my phone.
It's just these 3 cats opinions, doesn't make it fact... A couple games last year came down to special teams.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
interference said:
It wasn't Shaky. It was a poster on his forum named "la ram."
Well, perhaps Shakey can 'shake down' this la ram chap and get him/her to reveal their sources :)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
It's just these 3 cats opinions, doesn't make it fact... A couple games last year came down to special teams.

3 HoFers, tho. Every year "oh you can't draft him b/c this team doesn't do it this way." Blah. Just take the BPA that can help your team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:

3 HoFers, tho. Every year "oh you can't draft him b/c this team doesn't do it this way." Blah. Just take the BPA that can help your team.
I hear what you are saying, but I personally believe there is validity to THOSE positions if all players are rated equal.