I feel we will be underwhelmed with our OC hire

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
The guy I want is Shanahan. He has had success all over the place in the NFL. I love the scheme he runs. I wouldn't mind getting Chud or Gase, they run the same system Schotty ran only better. That being said I don't think we get a highly pursued OC for multiple reasons.

- Fisher is in a make or break year. If he goes then the OC is back looking for a job.

- Uncertainty at the QB position. I'm as big of a Bradford guy as anybody. I think the guy can be great. He hasn't played in a year and a half though and who knows if he can hold up. There are no free agent options out there and Winston and Mariota will be gone when we draft.

- No elite players on offense. We have a lot of nice, solid, and some good players. We lack that blue chip elite player on offense.

I just don't see us being the first choice for guys. Hope I'm wrong. I feel we will land a guy like Hackett or promote from within.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well I agree we will hire somebody who runs the Old School "three yards and a cloud of dust" conservative scheme. I don't agree with it entirely because I wanna see more innovation our plays to keep defenses guessing. However, I disagree whole heartedly that we don't have the pieces for a razzle dazzle offense. We were hand cuffed with the QB situation for one thing but Schotty was abysmal in the third quarter, too. We do have plenty of pieces for an explosive offense if Britt is retained and we beef up the OL plus a healthy Bradford etc.

Britt is a legit #1 receiver. This guy is a true weapon if we can simply get someone who can locate their passes under center.

Quick was doing better than Britt before the injury, nuff said.

Bailey is an excellent threat between the hashes and on come back routes on the outside.

Tavon is the real victim out of anybody on playcalling. Jet sweep discovery half way through the season and and some carries is not good enough (Thanks Schoty)

Cook is a darn good threat. His hands are a little stony at times but there's no question this guy is a mismatch for anybody.

So there you have it.

V3

Hall of Fame
The guy I want is Shanahan. He has had success all over the place in the NFL. I love the scheme he runs. I wouldn't mind getting Chud or Gase, they run the same system Schotty ran only better. That being said I don't think we get a highly pursued OC for multiple reasons.

- Fisher is in a make or break year. If he goes then the OC is back looking for a job.

- Uncertainty at the QB position. I'm as big of a Bradford guy as anybody. I think the guy can be great. He hasn't played in a year and a half though and who knows if he can hold up. There are no free agent options out there and Winston and Mariota will be gone when we draft.

- No elite players on offense. We have a lot of nice, solid, and some good players. We lack that blue chip elite player on offense.

I just don't see us being the first choice for guys. Hope I'm wrong. I feel we will land a guy like Hackett or promote from within.
I agree with you. I'd just add that I'm not sure many OC's want to come to a team that they have no idea if it's staying or moving. On top of that, we don't have a QB and we won't be picking high enough any time soon to get one. I still think we'll promote from within because of all of this.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Well Shanahan not having a job yet is telling. I'm sure some of these organizations are holding out for a guy like Chud once they are out of the playoffs. I think Shanahan is a strong bet to be our OC though. I would be thrilled if that actually happened. Someone like Hackett or Boras would definitely be a disappointment.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well Shanahan not having a job yet is telling. I'm sure some of these organizations are holding out for a guy like Chud once they are out of the playoffs. I think Shanahan is a strong bet to be our OC though. I would be thrilled if that actually happened. Someone like Hackett or Boras would definitely be a disappointment.
He could be waiting to go to Atlanta which is the best OC job out there.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If we get chud or shanny I will be ecstatic. If we gase I will fine with it. Whoever else we get I am sure I will myself on them someway....Hopefully.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm banking on Shanahan, my hopes were on Roman before Ryan shattered that dream, I'd definitely be excited to have Kyle. Chud would be my second bet, I'm not keen on Gase. The fact that he keeps getting interviews which turn more and more people away from him is pretty telling to me. I think Peyton may have made that staff look a lot better than it really was.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Might need to promote a QB coach who was a good play caller in college. Having said that out loud makes me realize who little I know about this process.

Ramathon

I agree with you. I'd just add that I'm not sure many OC's want to come to a team that they have no idea if it's staying or moving. On top of that, we don't have a QB and we won't be picking high enough any time soon to get one. I still think we'll promote from within because of all of this.

Unless it were a hometown STL guy, why would that matter? In fact, I don't think it's unreasonable to think candidates might want to come to the Rams hoping the team moves. Doesn't thrill me as a fan if that were the case. I just tend to think the potential move is, at best a minimal consideration. And if the team doesn't move, well.....it's a good gig either way. And there are only 32 such opportunities available.

lockdnram21

Legend
i think we hire within because of Qb situation. But i disagree about the elite players. Britt has potential if we get a qb

FRO

Legend
i think we hire within because of Qb situation. But i disagree about the elite players. Britt has potential if we get a qb
Britt isn't an elite player. He is a good player, but he isn't elite.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I have a feeling this will just be a promotion within. not very thrilling but I pray it's more effective.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'll be surprised if we don't promote from within.

I hope we land someone from the outside with more experience, however.

I want badly to be excited about this offense. Tired of the lack of scoring!

V3

Hall of Fame
Unless it were a hometown STL guy, why would that matter? In fact, I don't think it's unreasonable to think candidates might want to come to the Rams hoping the team moves. Doesn't thrill me as a fan if that were the case. I just tend to think the potential move is, at best a minimal consideration. And if the team doesn't move, well.....it's a good gig either way. And there are only 32 such opportunities available.
Have you ever had to move? It sucks. Now add a family to that and it's even worse. Moving kids away from everything they know and then having to move them AGAIN a year later would be horrible. Someone will take it because it's still a good paying job but I don't think it'll be a highly sought after OC like Gase. JMO. They were talking about it on the radio, too, so I'm not the only one that's thinking it evidently. Hey, I could be wrong, too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO they would have made a decision already if the plan was to promote from within.

FRO

Legend
imo if we just have to disagree
If you consider Decker and Hawkins elite I guess you could consider Britt elite as well. They had worse QB situation we did and they put up better numbers than Britt.