I don't get all this CB talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey, if you're fine with consistently having one of the worst line units in football, that's up to you. But I'm sick to death of a crappy offense.

I'm with you, it needs to be addressed....but if we're talking about being better next year, we need to get better through Free Agency.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
May I ask a question here on this subject? What was the general overall health of the Ram CB's last season? Did not the Rams loose one starting Corner & the #3 CB before the season started? McGee hurt his foot & Trumaine hurt his knee. McGee did try to play through pain but his last game dressed was game two & was placed on IR. Trumaine was held out for 9 weeks of play over that knee.

Did not the Rams start a rookie 6th rd draft pick for 15 games in 2014? Gaines was injured twice in one game & finally missed the last game of the season. Did the Rams also start another rookie 2nd round pick @ the Nickle-Back post (which is basically a starting post in our secondary) Joyner even started one game at outside corner. Joyner was also injured for 6 games in 2014.Jenkins only started 13 games in 2014 too he was injured too for 3 games. That permitted an UDFA rookie Marcus Roberson to start 2 games & play a good part in 9 games.

Would it be foolish of me to think that these three rookies come back with a little more experience in 2015 will make a serious improvement in this area. Add in a fully healthy trio of young experience Ram CB's??

So with all theses injuries & with the Rams counting very Heavy on three rookies in 2014 could that play some part into all these high QB completions? Or am I just making excuses?

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it's foolish to expect improvement, but you can't really count on anything - you draft BPA at all times with the exception of QB (or a trade) because you just don't know what will happen and you want your football team to be the best it can possibly be.

You can think you're set at a position, and then that player gets hurt or just doesn't play as well - then what??

I think we all know that Jenkins is still an enigma of sorts; CB isn't the type of "need" that will have them pursuing Byron Maxwell in FA, but if a CB is BPA at any point in this draft, I'd expect us to draft him.

FrankenRam

Starter
Hey, if you're fine with consistently having one of the worst line units in football, that's up to you. But I'm sick to death of a crappy offense.

I said nothing of the kind. I'm just growing weary of exactly what I said...those who constantly pound for OL first, last, & only. And that the Rams just just have to take OL in the first/second rounds.

Would I like to see the OL fixed. Of course I would. To suggest anything else is just silly. And I hope like heck the 'Best Value Available' picks in the 1st/2nd round are OL. 'But'.....

1) We don't even know what the makeup of the roster will look like come draft time. What happens in FA could have a major impact on what needs exist come the draft. We haven't lost anybody to FA, and we haven't signed anyone.

2) Anyone that thinks we're going to 'fix' the OL this year with a couple early draft picks is wishing on a star. Look at GRob. Last year this time, everybody and their uncle all but had him walking on water. And he didn't start until what...the 4th or 5th game.(?) So, you tell me....what do you think are the probabilities of getting 2 Day 1 ready starters on the OL this year?

Could it happen. Sure it could. It's also possible Sam Bradford will start and play in 16 games this year and make the Pro Bowl. Would I bet on either? Not a chance. But it is possible, just not highly probable. IMO, of course.

Too many people have been harping on Fisher because he's 'ignored' the OL :rolleyes: since he's been the Rams HC. But getting tunnel vision for the OL now would be every bit as narrow sighted as they're accusing Fisher of being.

Athos

Legend
Be honest, how have FA Lineman under Snisher and DevSpags worked out for us? I'd say not a one. Now, we need a FA lineman or two for depth at least and experience.

But look what taking O-lineman early and hard has done for Dallas the last two years? Everyone mocked them for taking their C.

Well, who's laughing now after getting Murray a career year. And maybe the best O-line in football.

what do you think are the probabilities of getting 2 Day 1 ready starters on the OL this year?

Depends who they take. A Peat/Scherff or Scherff/Cann/Erving/etc could all start.

Our line, Long, Wells, and Joseph were imo, the worst at their positions last year. Not hard to even find a rookie to replace that steaming horse manure.

And again, prove to US that there's actually a CB worth of being taken over the top WRs, or the lineman after a trade down. Not any of this cop out "If Snisher views CB as BPA, I'm happy" nonsense.

FrankenRam

Starter
Depends who they take. A Peat/Scherff or Scherff/Cann/Erving/etc could all start.

Sez you. Tell me you think any of them are better....no, forget better.....tell me who among that bunch you view as being as good as GRob.

And again, prove to US that there's actually a CB worth of being taken over the top WRs, or the lineman after a trade down. Not any of this cop out "If Snisher views CB as BPA, I'm happy" nonsense.

Who said anything about a CB? I was talking soley about the clamoring for OL only. But IF Snead/Fisher feel a CB is available in either Rd 1 or 2 that is the best choice, I am fine with that. That's not remotely nonsense. But then I don't think I know more than people who have been around the game and getting paid to do their jobs for their entire career.

But since you brought it up, why don't you prove to us that any of the OL you mentioned are better than a CB that might be available. And none of this 'because I said so' nonsense. Or none of this 'because Mel Kiper' says so nonsense. Or because any draftnik you choose to bring up nonsense. Prove it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sez you. Tell me you think any of them are better....no, forget better.....tell me who among that bunch you view as being as good as GRob.

Who said anything about a CB? I was talking soley about the clamoring for OL only. But IF Snead/Fisher feel a CB is available in either Rd 1 or 2 that is the best choice, I am fine with that. That's not remotely nonsense. But then I don't think I know more than people who have been around the game and getting paid to do their jobs for their entire career.

But since you brought it up, why don't you prove to us that any of the OL you mentioned are better than a CB that might be available. And none of this 'because I said so' nonsense. Or none of this 'because Mel Kiper' says so nonsense. Or because any draftnik you choose to bring up nonsense. Prove it.

Waynes is not a top ten pick. He simply doesn't have the speed to be a top cornerback. He's borderline first, and people consider him the best in this class (he isn't.) Meanwhile, you have Peat, Collins, and Clemmings, all of whom are going to be studs.

The only way - the absolute only way - I skip out on a lineman this year is if Cooper, White, Williams, or Mariota fall to us, and we all know that none of that is a likely possibility.

FrankenRam

Starter
Waynes is not a top ten pick. He simply doesn't have the speed to be a top cornerback. He's borderline first, and people consider him the best in this class (he isn't.) Meanwhile, you have Peat, Collins, and Clemmings, all of whom are going to be studs.

The only way - the absolute only way - I skip out on a lineman this year is if Cooper, White, Williams, or Mariota fall to us, and we all know that none of that is a likely possibility.

And I repeat...if Fisher/Snead think any of the OL are the best choice available, I'm all for taking them. All I've been saying from the get-go is just don't grab an OL just because it's the biggest need on the team.

Memphis Ram

Legend
May I ask a question here on this subject? What was the general overall health of the Ram CB's last season? Did not the Rams loose one starting Corner & the #3 CB before the season started? McGee hurt his foot & Trumaine hurt his knee. McGee did try to play through pain but his last game dressed was game two & was placed on IR. Trumaine was held out for 9 weeks of play over that knee.

Did not the Rams start a rookie 6th rd draft pick for 15 games in 2014? Gaines was injured twice in one game & finally missed the last game of the season. Did the Rams also start another rookie 2nd round pick @ the Nickle-Back post (which is basically a starting post in our secondary) Joyner even started one game at outside corner. Joyner was also injured for 6 games in 2014.Jenkins only started 13 games in 2014 too he was injured too for 3 games. That permitted an UDFA rookie Marcus Roberson to start 2 games & play a good part in 9 games.

Would it be foolish of me to think that these three rookies come back with a little more experience in 2015 will make a serious improvement in this area. Add in a fully healthy trio of young experience Ram CB's??

So with all theses injuries & with the Rams counting very Heavy on three rookies in 2014 could that play some part into all these high QB completions? Or am I just making excuses?

Sure those guys can improve (BTW, OLinemen like Person, Jones, Rhaney, Bonds, etc... can improve with more seasoning, too).

IMO, no matter what the situation, no team with a pass rush like the Rams should have so many QBs with such high completion percentages. Now experience may help with the high completion percentages. But, experience and ability will do helluva lot more.

McGee was only the #3 CB due to a lack of numbers at the position. While he has good speed, he had shown nothing to date which probably played a role in why they drafted both Gaines and Joyner.

Joyner is an undersized player with questionable hands who AT BEST is limited to be effective in the slot and even that is debatable. He might just be much better off at safety.

Both Jenkins and Johnson are set to be free agents after this season (Again this year's draft isn't just about this year's season). To date has either shown to be guys this team must re-sign? Can either shadow a team's #1 WR well enough to make an impact on defensive calls/play?

Can the Rams win with the current group? Sure. But, an upgrade at the position could do wonders for Williams defense. As I recall, his best defenses have had at least 1-2 good press man cover guy(s).

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sure those guys can improve (BTW, OLinemen like Person, Jones, Rhaney, Bonds, etc... can improve with more seasoning, too).

IMO, no matter what the situation, no team with a pass rush like the Rams should have so many QBs with such high completion percentages. Now experience may help with the high completion percentages. But, experience and ability will do helluva lot more.

McGee was only the #3 CB due to a lack of numbers at the position. While he has good speed, he had shown nothing to date which probably played a role in why they drafted both Gaines and Joyner.

Joyner is an undersized player with questionable hands who AT BEST is limited to be effective in the slot and even that is debatable. He might just be much better off at safety.

Both Jenkins and Johnson are set to be free agents after this season (Again this year's draft isn't just about this year's season). To date has either shown to be guys this team must re-sign? Can either shadow a team's #1 WR well enough to make an impact on defensive calls/play?

Can the Rams win with the current group? Sure. But, an upgrade at the position could do wonders for Williams defense. As I recall, his best defenses have had at least 1-2 good press man cover guy(s).

I do not disagree here Memphis but the back end of our defense looks really good right now in comparison to the front end of our offense/OL. This OL looks as bad as there is in the NFL.

That's a fact.... now add in that the QB this terrible current OL will be protecting may be the most fragile starting QB in the NFL! Now that I put that together above it just washes away all of my concerns over this secondary completely.

I agree with you on center Rhaney & OC/ORT Barrett Jones they should play an important part in this 2015 OL. Travis Bond is a one post player (ORG) & our OL coach usually does not keep them around. Mike Person is no longer a Ram but he is best as a 6th game day OL'er, not a starter. Rams need talented starters!

Memphis Ram

Legend
I do not disagree here Memphis but the back end of our defense looks really good right now in comparison to the front end of our offense/OL. This OL looks as bad as there is in the NFL.

That's a fact.... now add in that the QB this terrible current OL will be protecting may be the most fragile starting QB in the NFL! Now that I put that together above it just washes away all of my concerns over this secondary completely.

I agree with you on center Rhaney & OC/ORT Barrett Jones they should play an important part in this 2015 OL. Travis Bond is a one post player (ORG) & our OL coach usually does not keep them around. Mike Person is no longer a Ram but he is best as a 6th game day OL'er, not a starter. Rams need talented starters!

The back end looks good right now with bodies, but the overall talent is still questionable. And I have major doubts that the Rams OLine will look as bad as many make out after the early stages of free agency which comes before the draft.