I am really excited about Wade Phillips

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No disrespect to HC McVay, but his DC is who gets me excited. Phillips has had success with multiple teams in creating kick @ss defenses. Last season really wore me out more than any other season, especially when the news of a Fisher extension came out in the midst of horrendous play by the Rams.

"Really?"

After all of the years of being a fan of this team, I was considering not watching anymore, if they did not care enough to make the product better, which is what extending Fisher meant to me. McVay sounded like the new whiz kid hire, but I don't know him. Phillips is a straight up winner to me, the hiring of which drew me back from the abyss. So like a yearly fool, optimism is rising in the Rams offseason for me. I am still taking my break from football, because last year was so draining. Let's hope that improved coaching and new players will take us where we want to go. Cheers!

SierraRam

Recreational User
Phillips is a straight up winner to me

No doubt it! Like you, I was as close to throwing in the towel as I've ever been. Staying the course when it's not working is the definition of insanity. With Wade we have a stable, proven commodity who may convince some of our FA's to stay and other FA's to come aboard

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like the Wade Phillips hire...More concerned about the LB coach. And the DB coach. I also wonder who is going to learn under Wade? Who's going to continue where he leaves off? He's 70, how many more years does he have left to coach & coordinate?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the Wade Phillips hire...More concerned about the LB coach. And the DB coach. I also wonder who is going to learn under Wade? Who's going to continue where he leaves off? He's 70, how many more years does he have left to coach & coordinate?
70, is the new 38...:sneak:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
70, is the new 38...:sneak:

I will give you 39, not 38.;)
JB-stamp-39.JPG

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will give you 39, not 38.;)
JB-stamp-39.JPG
A famous poet in the 19th century had a great answer when people pressed him about his exact age....

"I'm this side of forty"
~James Whitcolm Riley

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That hire and his staff in general demonstrates how respected he is and that he is ready to step up as a head coach.

He might struggle with some things but he is smart, lives and breathes football, and will learn quickly and overcome. All he needs is the Rams to show him the same patience they showed Fish.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That hire and his staff in general demonstrates how respected he is and that he is ready to step up as a head coach.

He might struggle with some things but he is smart, lives and breathes football, and will learn quickly and overcome. All he needs is the Rams to show him the same patience they showed Fish.
I sort of agree with that, except no more 4+ years of "patience" for a winning season. After three years and we are not in the playoffs in year three, heads must roll.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I sort of agree with that, except no more 4+ years of "patience" for a winning season. After three years and we are not in the playoffs in year three, heads must roll.

IMO the McVay will be able to turn this team around and as mentioned, the staff he brings is impressive especially WP. If WP can turn around bad Ds and turn that team into a playoff team due to the D. What will he do with what was considered a pretty talented D. And the O can only improve with a real NFL O coaching staff.

The only plus from the Fisher era is the high picks have stocked some good talent, even though they missed on some high picks. The lack of a real NFL O held the Rams back the entire Fisher era.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Have no fear Joe Barry is here!:yess:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My concern is that we don't have the linebackers required in a 3-4. I hope Wade can pull it off.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
My concern is that we don't have the linebackers required in a 3-4. I hope Wade can pull it off.

Wades system is a 3-4 in name only, it employees 4-3 techniques with the element of creating doubt in the OL as to which 4 are coming. RQ wont be dropping into coverage very often, maybe on some special blitz calls to take away a hot route. The biggest difference will be that there will be 5 D players lined up over the OL and maybe they all come or maybe only these 4, or is it those 4. WP will put the players in a position to succeed, it is up to them to dominate.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

This comment @Merlin even though we have no have no guarantees how well McVay is going to succeed in his 2017 head coaching rookie debut, is exactly one of the strongest reasons I'm elated McVay was the choice.

About a week before he was hired, McVay was my 4th choice in the HC hiring process but now I wouldn't trade him for any of the other head coaches hired in 2017. Kyle and Jon Gruden were my first choices of preference in the beginning stages but I couldn't be more on board with the In McVay we trust group.

Pretty exciting to know that the the 2017 Rams are going to have a new look scheme wise on both Offense and Defense. NFL Free Agency and the draft even without a number one pick has a unique, fresh, different feel in 2017.

mcvay-1040x572.jpg

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Wades system is a 3-4 in name only, it employees 4-3 techniques with the element of creating doubt in the OL as to which 4 are coming. RQ wont be dropping into coverage very often, maybe on some special blitz calls to take away a hot route. The biggest difference will be that there will be 5 D players lined up over the OL and maybe they all come or maybe only these 4, or is it those 4. WP will put the players in a position to succeed, it is up to them to dominate.

If Quinn is rarely dropping back into coverage, then doesn't that mean they know which 4 are coming? Unless Brokers, Donald, or Easely is doing into coverage. The only way to maintain unpredictability would be to put him in coverage or have him switch position on the line, from olb to de, almost as much as he rushes. Otherwise they know he's rushing and so are the 3 down lineman.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If Quinn is rarely dropping back into coverage, then doesn't that mean they know which 4 are coming? Unless Brokers, Donald, or Easely is doing into coverage. The only way to maintain unpredictability would be to put him in coverage or have him switch position on the line, from olb to de, almost as much as he rushes. Otherwise they know he's rushing and so are the 3 down lineman.
Look at many blitz packages. Often times, the OLB's will line up around the center, either showing double "A" gap blitzes...Quinn could move along the line doing this...I'd also expect Brockers to be removed from the game, leaving only 2 down linemen, with 2 LB's to rush...Maybe it'll be Quinn with Tree...maybe Barron & Tree...But mostly we know Quinn will rush...Not really that easy to predict or scheme against.