I (almost) get bamboozled by sleazy auto tech guy (long rant)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Today I went in for routine oil change. I can't stand changing my own oil and would rather pay the $20 and eat donuts, while not getting my hands dirty. Anyhoozle, I call the service department of the dealership and ask what the price of an oil change is. Guy said $34.95, and that he would accept my $15 coupon I had. So I go half an hour later, told him I called 30 mins ago, he looked at my coupon and *read it*, and said everything was good to go.

When it was finished, cashier person said my final price was almost $40! How is that possible? Cashier says the $34.95 is special price itself and therefore can't apply 2 coupons. This is where my 1st bullshit alarm goes off. How can that price + tax/fees be considered a "special"? I said that isn't what I was promised, so the guy who checked my car in was called.

Tech guy said b/c my car is a V6 engine, it takes 6 quarts and that's why he charged me an extra $4 for that additional quart. Bullshit alarm #2. Furthermore, he then goes on to tell me that $15 coupon I had said it was *up to* 5 quarts only. I agree with that, b/c it's clearly stated on the coupon. So that extra quart + the coupon that wasn't valid + the "special" price of $34.95 + tax/fee tallied up my final charge. Luckily, I think tech guy knew I was getting.....angry :mad:....and just said charge him the $34.95 - $15 coupon. And off I went home, straight to my manual, and unsurprisingly, that extra quart of oil they were about to charge me for would exceed my capacity of 5.5 liters.

I bought my car from this place and always had service done here. Never had any problem with anything, coupon or service. Never had paid regular price for an oil change. Hell, I never paid above $30. Have the same thing done every time: oil change, tire rotation (also included b/c it's factory installed tires which of course they were about to charge me for), and 10 point inspection (they didn't do that).

I think the worse part of this was the tech guy lying through his teeth through sweet talk. He was clearly pretending to care about me personally. I saw right through his crap. About to talk with the manager here shortly about this. I can't stand being lied too, which is the only reason why I'm gonna bitch about it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
There's your problem right there...you took your car to a dealership. Don't know what they're like in your area but here in Cumberland, MD they always charge around one and a half times more than do at a regular shop.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
3.5 years of coming to this dealership and have paid the same price of $24 and some change each time. I understand dealerships jack up prices. All I ask is to honor what I been promised, especially if it's face to face like it was today.

I just don't get why they charged me that extra quart when my capacity is only 5.5, today. I've had coupons before that say up to 5 quarts, and never had issues with that. I'm probably gonna take my business elsewhere now if they are gonna charge me full price for half a quart. I know it seem frivolous but damn, honor what you agree to!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I get your frustration with service people being less than honest with you. It happens all the time and I give them hell for it and refuse to pay an amount based on deception. But just to let you know before you voice your complaint with management, 5.5 liters is approximately 5.82 quarts.

Athos

Legend
There's your problem right there...you took your car to a dealership. Don't know what they're like in your area but here in Cumberland, MD they always charge around one and a half times more than do at a regular shop.

But be brand of car thing. Because my parents both went and got Toyota's from a Toyota dealership, and their oil changes are free for the life of the car. Well, at least for sure my mom's car since it was brand new. I think it holds for the used Prius as well. Just not sure.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get your frustration with service people being less than honest with you. It happens all the time and I give them hell for it and refuse to pay an amount based on deception. But just to let you know before you voice your complaint with management, 5.5 liters is approximately 5.82 quarts.

If they would've told me that, fine. My mistake. Problem was they took my coupon, *read it* and didn't inform me that it would be charged more. Never had this issue before anyway. Besides, this whole thing wouldn't have stemmed if they had told me the $34.95 was a special to begin with and couldn't take my coupon b/c of that.

I did score a free oil change tho, so there's that. Meh.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
True story...My radiator went bad one day so I pulled into a service station. He put a new radiator in and I went on my way. Two weeks later my radiator hose went bad right in front of the same gas station so I pulled in and popped the hood. The mechanic comes over and takes a look. He said yep you need a new hose. I said hey I just got a new radiator installed why wouldn't I get a new hose too. He said; don't know, how much was the new radiator?. I told him and immediately he said dude you got ripped off. I could have done that job for $100 less and you would have gotten a new hose too! I felt myself getting hot...I looked at him and said YOU DID IT! YOU RIPPED ME OFF?
I never have come even close to getting someone fired from their job or even getting someone in trouble with their boss but this time I had had it. I waited for the owner of the station to come in whom I knew personally and demanded he fire the mechanic or I was going to shout this all over town. The next day there was a help wanted sign in the window and I got a new hose and a $100 to go with it. People are out to screw you...watch out.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Oh, that's nothing. My first car, a '79 Honda Accord, was breaking down because of the fuel pump (of course I didn't know that at the time). The car just stopped running; on the freeway, side streets. This went on for several months. The first place a took it to, they couldn't trigger the problem, so they gave me an oil change. SMDH

RamzFanz

Damnit
The bitch is if you don't know, they can rape you. I don't know. I call people who do, but that's not always good without them looking.

In the end, have a place you trust, KNOW the owner, and ask questions.

I have never, nor will I ever, go to a dealer for something I don't have to. The qualified and trustworthy local person doesn't have to pay for the advertising and layers of a dealership.

My father has a best friend who owned 12 dealerships who will tell you he never goes to a dealer.